Rocket car on J motor reaches 626 mph

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely brilliant!! Santa Pod is probably the only track in the world that is still friendly to rocket power on any level.

When I was younger about half of the rockets I launched were fired horizontally and on wheels, but that is really taking it to a whole different level. (Well, level 2, I suppose...)

How was it timed? Did you use the track's timing lights?

By the way, if my guess at the wheel diameter is close (about 2.5"?) and I've done my sums correctly the wheels would be turning somewhere around 84,211 rpm...

:eyepop:

As I said before; Absolutely BRILLIANT!!!

The wheels are approx 70mm in diameter but some are made slightly bigger / smaller.

Sometimes we put slightly bigger wheels on the rear to create some down thrust.

Here is a photo of one of the older wheels. (All made professionally out of titanium!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1477559886.974870.jpg

The car went through a set of 12 timing gates. Where there was 2 thin wires set at 6 meters apart. The time taken between the 2 wires being broken gives the speed.

Here is one of the timing gates

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1477560622.644115.jpg

Also had 2 racal timers on the track
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1477560677.262593.jpg

Could not use Santa Pods own timing as the car is too small.

Last edited:
That's a very well executed project! Any yahoo could make a broke down J powered rocket car, but you did it right. The GSE is cool too!

This reminds me of some things I may or may not have done on my elementary schools parking lot with Estes motors and RC cars that I may or may not approve of now.

It is fantastic to see someone taking a project like this seriously. As Dick said, anyone can fire a J motor sideways, but I love how well you have done the job of thinking this through, designing the car and gathering the data. Please do keep us apprised of your progress!

Could I ask about details of the car's construction? What wheel bearings, for example?

I think this beast of a car should be a little longer and then a Loki K1127 should be inserted. Just saying...more is more.

Wow!

It would be cool if you could get some velocity metrics about the time of motor burnout, near V max.

But for the run, Mach 0.84 is in the transonic realm and for something that small on the ground that's freaky fast!

Greg

Last edited:
Back