Rocket Camp!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Well... Maybe a few of you have heard of how I got started in rocketry, but for those of you who have not, heres the story.

I got a bulk pack of Gnomes. Built em, flew um, thought they were as big as it got. Then I saw a rocketry program in a school flier... We signed up, and I got hooked...:D I built 5 rockets, and it really got me going... I havent looked back for the past 2 and a half years :D

So now I am coming back to help teach the same camp... And I am bringing my digital camera... So this is where I am going to post all the pictures at the end of the day... Ive been bored so I figured Id start the thread now so I could get some ideas from you guys... The kits are already decided:

(class 1)

Big Bertha
That little scale missile with red fins, I forget its name...
Spitfire
Goliath
Alpha 3
The Dude

Flight Pack of motors
Estes Porta Pad
Estes Controller
(class two)

Designers Special Kit

Flight Pack of motors

Designers Special Kit

Flight Pack of Motors
Estes Porta Pad
Estes Controller

The first class (basic) has kits. They build the first day, fly what they built on the second morning, come back in, build more, fly again, build in the afternoon and so it goes for the next few days...

The second class (so-called Advanced. I keep praying that they will have a "real" "Advanced" with LOC 7.5" HPR kits... :D) gets a designers special. They design and start building on the first two days, then fly and keep building more like the other class.

If I were actually taking this class, I dont at all doubt that I could finish off (including paint) all 5 kits in one day, if I were allowed to use my CA... Thats why I am NOT taking the class this year :D

And of course I get to bring in my fleet of LPR exotics... Saucers, gliders, maybe the Duece if I get a bigger controller... And Mr Maurais (sorry if I spelled your name wrong... I always do... :eek: ) says I can bring in my Shadow and Flame if I want.... Evil grin... Not to fly, of course, but so the kids can look at it and be inspired to keep going with rocketry... :D

Yea. Right. I just want some praise for it before I go to LDRS :D (j/k)

So at the end of each day, I will be posting pictures of all the kids, thier rockets, thier rockets flying ETC.

And I will proabably be showing them this website (mainly just this thread), so be nice :D

cant wait till im 15 so i get paid $2000 bucks in 2 weeks to sit and play with rockets at a camp...

oh and counsel kids too...

Originally posted by Neil
The second class gets a designers special. They design and start building on the first two days, then fly and keep building more like the other class.

I hope they will learn handy things like CG/CP relationships??

Best of luck with the camp - if you're enthusiastic (which you obviously are) the kids will catch it too and have fun.

The computers all have Space Cad... (groan... I forgot how to use that program as soon as I got rsim... :( )

Where did the $2000 come from:confused:

Has anyone ever filled a "dude" rocket with helium before? We are thinking of taking a crack at it....:D

my rocket camp that i used to go to... when im 15 i get to counsel there and get paid...

helium would probably make quite a slow decent eh?

Jeez you're lucky... Don't think there's even a rocket related camp around here except for the KS Starbase, which I guess is good because that's how I got addicted. Maybe I could help with that.

mumble... mumblmumbl.... 2000 bucks... hmhmh... need money... PML Tethys... Sumo... mumble, all the supplies I need... mbml...

Funny thing...

I got my start the same way...In 1977. I was ten.

a local private school here had a summer day camp program. I took Electronic games (we had Pong, an Atari with ONE cartridge), Magic, Photography, Swimming, and Rocketry.

Rocketry was the best. We used the pinhole cameras from photography class to take pictures of our rockets. I have a pic of a Centuri Vulcan with a guy standing "next" to it. He was actually 20 feet behind it to give the illusion of scale. Maybe I'll scan and post them.

We had All Centuri stuff, Centuri being a local company and all.

My first rocket was an F-15 eagle followed by a jayhawk. I bought my "Eagle Power" starter set for like six bucks. Still have it to this day

Last year, I put my 9 yr old son through the same program at the same school. Now that was cool. The Launch was fun too. Natch, I took the day off of work and ran the launch for them.

@ blue ninja

its not a fully rocket related camp... i know the rocket teacher there cause were both pyros, and his son who is a year younger plays in my summer league...

the other classes he teaches are like electronics, which is also the shizzle cause i can learn to do alittle more modding on my 'puter...

the only bad thing is i have to take a 2 week counselor in training course at a camp where i have to learn like cpr and mouth to mouth with other female counselors... horrible... just horrible ;)

Neil,

How many people will be in your class? I find it is hard to teach rocketry building techniques for class sizes greater than 8 especially with no other "experienced" help. Will there be other knowledgable people helping you? I suggest you start the class with a launch demo (weather permitting) and then begin the building session. It helps if people can see how the whole thing functions before they try to build one themselves. Do you have any fin alignment jigs for the people in the class to use? I usually build several alignment guides and jigs (like for motor mount depth) based on the models the class will be assembling. Since most are familiar with using scissors I usually cut out the fin alignment guides and shock cord mounts beforehand. I also have at least one jig or alignement guide plus glue, and hobby knives for every two to three people. I like starting simple, my favorite beginners kits are the Estes Gnome, Custom Razor, and the Estes Wizard. It takes roughly two hours for a group of 8 to 12 people (10 to 11 year olds) to assemble an Estes Wizard for the first time, 1 1/2 hours for the Gnome and 3 hours for the Custom Razor. This does not include painting/decorating the rockets. The problem is in this era of electronic games, most students will have never seen a model rocket or even assembled a model of anything! Be sure to make everyone read the instructions beforehand, and plan out the day accordingly; design in a break when the glue must dry!

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

I dunno... When I was last in the class there were 8 or 10 or something... I am just the teachers "assistant" person... I think I just make sure everything is going smoothly, awnser the students questions to the best of my ability, and help them out if they need it. It always goes smoothly (this class has been aroudn for years...), and I think he has gotten pretty good at it by now.
+
Sorry for the "++++++++"+++ everywhere... +This key++b+oard is seriously screwed and it puts plus signs everywhere... Im about ready to hit this thing with a ++++2+X+4+..+.++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++shut up.... :D TWO BY FOUR! I WANT TO HIT THIS KEYBOARD WITH A TWO BY FOUR!:kill: :D ;) :p +++++++++

Th+is IS+ a new keyboard... :kill:

Maybe its time for a NEWER keyboard...:rolleyes:

Maybe its time you CLEANED the keyboard! Its amazing how much dirt gets into those things!

And I was only messin with ya about the 2+X+4 thing :p :D

Phil

+++No, my dad had it extra from his office... I dont see how the heck this could be doing this... :confused:+++++++++ cant blame Wally World...++++++
++++++++++
It would have to have the "shift" and the "+/=++"+++++++++ key down to be doing this... I think ill just get a little BP in there...:D ;) ++NOO,, my mom would kill me. I wonder where our old keyboard is...:confused: :rolleyes: +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++I HATE THIS KEYBOARD!!!!

Couldn't resist the wally world reference. Didn't realize you pilfered if from Dad's workplace. heh heh

It may have soda or something in it. Coffee seems to be the worst. Unplug it, Take it apart, and clean it. It is ok to get the circuit board wet. Cean the heck out of it with warm water, then rinse it off with alcohol and let it air dry. Don't use anything abrasive. The alcohol will evaoprate all the water out of the nooks and crannies. This is how PC boards are cleaned during manufacturing.

Soak all the little silicone rubber things (or sheet) in hot water, then wipe them all dry one at a time.

Wipe any mylar sheets clean as well.

Mind where each of the screws come from. Different lengths need to be paid attention to.

Or go to Goodwill and buy another one for 3 bucks.

Good luck, and don't spill anymore Beer on it. :D

Powderburner,

I let my keyboard take a shower with me every three months. All the building that I do and the dust and stuff really clogs it up. I take off all the keys, then unscrew everything and just let it sit in the shower. When I'm done I clean it if it isnt already nice and shiny. I soak the keys in a tub of really hot soapy water and then dry them outside. It's amazing how much smoother a keyboad is if it is clean. Just don't loose keys (always happens to be a vowel anyway) and make sure it's dry.

Edward

Originally posted by edwardw
Powderburner,

I let my keyboard take a shower with me every three months. All the building that I do and the dust and stuff really clogs it up. I take off all the keys, then unscrew everything and just let it sit in the shower. When I'm done I clean it if it isnt already nice and shiny. I soak the keys in a tub of really hot soapy water and then dry them outside. It's amazing how much smoother a keyboad is if it is clean. Just don't loose keys (always happens to be a vowel anyway) and make sure it's dry.

Edward

Hey Kramer, welcome to the thread!!!

We just got a new one... This ones OK.

+++++++++++++ *groan*

j/k:D

Back