rocket camera: 808 vs. U8 vs. pen

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdz

Reaction score
I've been having fun making rocket videos with a cheap 808 camera and just today heard about other options, the U8 and the spy pen cameras. The U8 looks somewhat more aerodynamic than the 808. The pen looks the most aerodynamic of all 3, although the lens does not seem to point the right way, and I'm curious where the memory card goes. Anyone tried the U8 or the pen? What are the pros and cons of each? Any other types of cheap cameras worth considering?
U8: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DVR-D...480380?hash=item1c7c7a653c:g:DuQAAOSwCU1Ym-2n
pen: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-Mini-...797486?hash=item3d128650ee:g:bn8AAOSwFNZWzD9g

By the way, has anyone figured out a way to tape a camera to a rocket so that the paint/decals are not damaged when the tape is removed?

By the way, has anyone figured out a way to tape a camera to a rocket so that the paint/decals are not damaged when the tape is removed?

Use painter's tape, less sticky. May have people have used velcro just fine. I also have attached a kevlar tether to the cam, which is a short section of 220# kevlar cord, either wrapped around or inserted through a pinhole into the body tube - as a back-up in case it comes loose.

I have the U8 camera (your first link), that I bought from www.flightcommandersystems.com. It's more expensive than the same one on e-bay, but he checks them thoroughly before shipment. He also has 3D printed mounts for various tube sizes. I've only had a chance to use mine once, and I'm very happy with it. He also sends English instructions to you for it.

Phil L.

Thanks, that U8 looks nice, may have to try it. How long does it take to transfer a video from the U8 to your computer? That's my one problem with the 808, takes like 20 minutes to transfer a video of one flight.

I've been flying the 808's for years. I've logged hours of video time. Transfer times are just a few minutes and not 20 minutes from a properly working camera. I've been dealing with the same vendor for years and he sends me reliable cameras. If there is ever a problem I can return them for replacement. Yes I charge more then the ebay/amazon vendors but I check every camera before shipping and test them for 24 hours to weed out the bad ones. I can also get the Mobius 1080p cameras and will have them up in the store soon.

https://bayouratrocketry.com

Every couple of months there is a thread started about a nightmare buying experience on ebay for one of these cameras..
I guess it would be just too easy to buy a higher quality product from someone in this country for a slight bit more money..
And someone you can actually contact and will get back to you if you have a problem after the sale..
Someone local,, who uses these cameras for the same purpose that you intend to use them for,,
gee, ya think he'd be the person you'd want if you had a question on the camera's operation or application....
It just doesn't make sense..
The exact same thing with Kevlar material..
Every couple of months someone starts a thread about a deal on Kevlar that is made in and ships from China..
My Kevlar is quite proudly made in the USA and while were on the subject, I am also quite proudly made in the USA..
This is too save a single dollar,, maybe two...
Sometimes it seems as though we are complaining to our elected officials about the economy in this country,
after we give them a good going over we get in out foreign cars and drive home to our homes that are full of merchandise from overseas...

Personally,, I'm done with this...

Buy American....

The lifestyle you save WILL be your own......

I'll see you at Airfest Whitney..

Teddy

@BayouRat - Thanks, I've seen your website and I'll be buying from you if I need another one. Have you thought about stocking the U8 or the pen?

As for my slow transfer time, not sure if it's the camera, could be the micro sd or the USB cable. Not a big problem, except when your rocket has just made what you think may be a great video and you're waiting with bated breath to watch it.

As I said, I've only used mine once. The 17 minute video on it took just a couple minutes to transfer to my computer. Now, if I can just find a simple video editor to get rid of all the time it sat on the pad, then on the ground. Any one have any ideas on that? Preferably free or cheap. :)

Phil L.

Thanks! I'll have to play with that and see what happens.

Phil L.

Just weighed my 808 and it's only 13g, guess they are including the weight of the keychain.

I used the U8 from eBay with 16GB mini SD card. I use black electrical tape from home depot to tape on. See my many videos on youtube or my website.

Practice using on ground first. Orient the camera so the video images correct orientation... mini SD card is on top.

With large high impulse motors like L plus they may be stripped off.

For video editing, Windows Movie Maker works just fine. It's what I've been using for a few years now with my (non-rocketry... yet) Sony Action Cam. I can't link to YouTube from my work computer, but look for TJ Rohyans on YouTube for examples of what it can do.

@Faroutspacenut

- Nice, looks good, should look and fly a lot better than an 808 or U8 taped to the outside of a rocket. Guess you will have to semi-permanently mount it on a single rocket, are you planning to drill a hole in the payload tube, place the camera inside and glue the shutter outside? I see 3 wires running from the camera, 2 are for the battery, what's the third one for? I suppose it is an antenna to receive commands from the wireless remote. The battery looks quite big. Let us know how it goes and post a flight video.

This video is from this past weekend. First time using the new Mini Möbius. Recorded at 1080p and 60fps. Awesome quality at a decent price. Ordered from Banggood.com. Mini is on the right in the picture. ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1490268641.923976.jpg
https://youtu.be/aV82-u3CDXk

@noffie79- terrific video, so much better quality than mine. Guess that's the difference between a $7 and a $70 camera.

Was the camera taped to the rocket? Did you use a shroud or other type of cover?

Thank you! I don't have a shroud for that rocket, so I did a couple wraps of masking tape then electrical tape on top of that. Never had a problem attaching it that way. I have some Additive Aerospace shrouds for my newer rockets. Two for my regular Möbius and one for the mini. I may get one for that rocket. Time will tell.

I got one of these Panasonic action cams a few months ago for my L3 cert rocket but haven't gotten around to building a mount for it yet.

panasonic_a1_2.jpg

@Faroutspacenut

- Nice, looks good, should look and fly a lot better than an 808 or U8 taped to the outside of a rocket. Guess you will have to semi-permanently mount it on a single rocket, are you planning to drill a hole in the payload tube, place the camera inside and glue the shutter outside? I see 3 wires running from the camera, 2 are for the battery, what's the third one for? I suppose it is an antenna to receive commands from the wireless remote. The battery looks quite big. Let us know how it goes and post a flight video.

As I see it, I have two options: put a hole in the body tube and have the lens flush with the BT for an "elevator angle" or mount the lens to a narrow piece of material that would slot through the tube looking down. I'd fabricate a small fairing for the leading edge that would be perm. In both cases, I'm contemplating some spring-loaded mechanisms so I can slide the whole package in, allowing the lens to "pop" into place. There are of course easier ways to do this for sure, but when has "the easy way" ever been the preferred way to go? (at least that's the case for me).

yeah that other wire is an antenna for the remote. Agree that battery is a bit too big for my liking. will be investigating smaller options since I won't need 17 hours of run time as this one advertises...

Back