Rocket CAD Repository

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
Last edited:
I probably could to an extent, though the only parts I've created files for so far are unique parts for specific applications that I was going to 3D print (boat tail for MAC 54mm tube, airfoil buttons, etc). I guess the first question is: what file type(s) are the CAD files that you're creating? Depending on how or what they are created with, there's a lot of incompatibility. It might be better to use somewhat universal file types, like .STP for example.

Are you thinking 3D Content Central or GrabCAD?
I agree that "standard" file types need to be used, but no one format works for all. .STP is very portable between applications. I don't do any 3D printing, so not sure what formats they use. It might make sense to have (for each component) several files including the model and print file if applicable. You might not think you would 3D print an altimeter, but it would be handy to have some for mocking up your AV-bay before even purchasing a specific altimeter to make sure it all fits nicely.

Great idea Matt, save us all some labor!
-Ken

3D prints often use an .STL file, though there may be others. However, the system I use at work directly exports to that.

I'm not sure on the best place to use for a repository. However, I definitely think one needs to be done.

Any suggestions for a good site?

I would be interested, I do all of my modeling in Rhino. STEP files for geometry transfer is my preferred method. STL files for 3D printed parts. I use thingiverse to make my parts available, https://www.thingiverse.com/Djkingsley/designs.

I am currently working on a Rhino Plugin to generate nose cone profiles with/without spherical ends.

I have also modified OpenRocket to export freeform fin profiles to for use in Rhino. I hope to get the other fin types done and push my changes back to the main OpenRocket repository in the next couple weeks. Ideally I would like to export the entire model from OpenRocket to Rhino as 3D solid geometry.

One thing I am curious about is - how many people are actually using some form of CAD to build rocket models (as opposed to building model rockets :cool:)? Since a CAD model doesn't cross pollinate with OR or RockSim, there isn't a good reason for your average, casual hobbyist to bother. I used CAD initially before I knew about actual rocket programs, and have only used it since for the basis of 3D printing. Of course, that might be enough. If I want to 3D print a part that I haven't drawn up, I download the .STL file from the repostitory and print it, or I download the .STP file so I can modify it, then print it. Either way, that'd be handy for cloning or upscaling, but only for folks that can actually make use of the file type.

I use CAD to build the rocket beforehand, to check to make sure that parts fit, and to have a general idea of what the rocket will look like. For example, I used to have an arm model, to check if I would be able to put a quick link down in the body tube. If I couldn't, then I know I needed to install a permanent shock cord.

It seems like most programs can read STEP files, so for CAD designs, that's a handy one. For people wanting to print objects, STL is probably the most common. By itself, you can only reproduce what the STL has in it. Not many programs seem to be able to directly modify STL files. You can scale them in the slicer usually, but not really modify them. So if you want to do an Open Source type approach, STEP should be included as well.

As for where to put them, I'm not sure. Thingiverse is pretty common, but there are people that find their license terms offensive. Wherever we store them, it would be nice if there were a decent search for them, image previews, etc..

One option that has nice editing features and such is OnShape. However, the downside is they have already changed the terms once, and there's nothing stopping them from doing it again. The free accounts will work if you don't mind everything being public.

How large are the files typically? I may be able to host on rocketryfiles.com if not gigantic.

I haven't seen many above 20MB, some really big complex designs might push 100MB with all the files included..

That is likely too large for me, much less I would need to upload as I am the only one who can.

I would be interested, I do all of my modeling in Rhino. STEP files for geometry transfer is my preferred method. STL files for 3D printed parts. I use thingiverse to make my parts available, https://www.thingiverse.com/Djkingsley/designs.

I am currently working on a Rhino Plugin to generate nose cone profiles with/without spherical ends.

I have also modified OpenRocket to export freeform fin profiles to for use in Rhino. I hope to get the other fin types done and push my changes back to the main OpenRocket repository in the next couple weeks. Ideally I would like to export the entire model from OpenRocket to Rhino as 3D solid geometry.

Love your rocket stands, My Qidi is cranking out its 3rd today.

I would be very interested in the method you are using to export free form fins, can you share it?

Doug

It seems like most programs can read STEP files, so for CAD designs, that's a handy one. For people wanting to print objects, STL is probably the most common. By itself, you can only reproduce what the STL has in it. Not many programs seem to be able to directly modify STL files. You can scale them in the slicer usually, but not really modify them. So if you want to do an Open Source type approach, STEP should be included as well.

As for where to put them, I'm not sure. Thingiverse is pretty common, but there are people that find their license terms offensive. Wherever we store them, it would be nice if there were a decent search for them, image previews, etc..

One option that has nice editing features and such is OnShape. However, the downside is they have already changed the terms once, and there's nothing stopping them from doing it again. The free accounts will work if you don't mind everything being public.

TinkerCad and now Onshape will let you import STL's for further CAD editing.

Love your rocket stands, My Qidi is cranking out its 3rd today.

I would be very interested in the method you are using to export free form fins, can you share it?

Doug

I have modified the openrocket Java code and added a button to the free form fin dialog that allows you to select an output file and then writes a Csv file containing the fin profile. I will be pushing the changes upto the main openrocket repository at some point. It would be upto the openrocket maintainers if they want to include it in future releases.

I am not knowledgeable to do 3D stuff, though I do have Sketch Up and access to 25 free hours of free training. (From a subscription I had doing Wood Working that I never used)
I do have RocSim, and have made quite a few rockets stock to do upscales, or clones, or to see what a larger Engine Mount would do to stability.
And I use Delta CAD, A LOT. I can save stuff in dwg and a couple other cad extensions.
Just PM me BB when you get stuff set up and I can email my stuff to you if it will help.

I would definitely be interested in helping with this. I use SolidWorks and AutoDesk Inventor, but would defintely recommend using step files for the repository. STLs are only really used for 3d printing. They can be imported but they tend to get screwy if they aren't really basic parts.

I have kind of made my own local repository for basic parts i.e. bulkheads, air frame, motor retainers, Stratologger and Stratologger CF... There are a lot of others, but I would be happy to contribute to the cause. PM me when you get everything figured out.

A shared Google drive may be a good idea too. Give everyone with the link read/write access and get the link pinned to the top of a thread. Just my two cents.

So I threw a couple of DWGs in there. In retrospect, we should probably not use dwg as versioning is an issue.

Also, PLEASE name your files. 031513.dwg does someone absolutely no good. At least subfolder it, or name it. :) Thanks!

Subfolders broken down by components perhaps?
Cones
Couplers
Tubes
-Slotted Tubes
Bulkheads
Centering Rings
Fins
-trapezoidal
-elliptical

I know I've got a bunch of nosecones drawn up somewhere on my drive
Mainly Haack and Ogive. A couple elliptical if I'm lucky.

Last edited:
Subfolders broken down by components perhaps?
Cones
Couplers
Tubes
-Slotted Tubes
Bulkheads
Centering Rings
Fins
-trapezoidal
-elliptical

I know I've got a bunch of nosecones drawn up somewhere on my drive
Mainly Haack and Ogive. A couple elliptical if I'm lucky.

Sounds good. The wife was on the warpath last night, so nothing got accomplished at Caer Onnen...

Started a text document for usage instructions and other items. Labeled README. I will contribute with a few files when I can, I have some stuff worth saving.

Never thought about this but would GitHub be better? I have no idea about what that might mean for files or what that might entail.

I like the Google Drive folder idea. That seems like it would work the best.

Let's try this:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B61IjVuE29dEQ2V5SVlIc21NcEU?usp=sharing

And see what happens.

I'm not yet familiar with google drives, but I think I managed to suggest the following in the readme under file naming:

If using a manufacturer’s part number, preface that part number by the name of the manufacturer, e.g., Estes-031513.dwg If the part does not fit within one of the folders designating its part type, include some indication of the part type within the file name, e.g., Estes-NC-03153.dwg, or create a newly named folder for that part type.

Yup you got it. Might be easier if you used editing mode instead of suggestion mode. ;D
Unless Matt wants to do this in a more controlled manner.
Will upload my stuff tomorrow.

Ok, still sorting through my stuff. My uploads will include .sldprt .slddrw and .stl files as well as a few PDFs. I will see about converting the .sldprt to STEP. What should the standard drafting file be? STEP is fine for part files as far as I can see.

Back