Rocket built from Estes Booster-55 kit...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mugs914

Beware of the leopard.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I posted a few weeks ago that I found an Estes Booster-55 set at Hobby Lobby for $.99. Apparently I was late to that particular party as everyone else seemed to already know about that particular deal at HL, but I digress...

I had no idea what I was going to do with the booster, but when I got home I broke out the spares box and started throwing a bits together. Three tubes and two transitions later I had this:

IMG_20161015_222913.jpg

The idea grew on me. It had a kind of vintage look to it. Sort of like it might have been an "Astron Something" sitting on the moonscape in an old Estes catalog.

After a little thought (and a few Semroc parts) I have something that looks a bit like an X-17/Scout/Saros type launch vehicle. I made conduits down the side to add a little interest and more of a scale look. It is due for a few more scale-ish details and then a typical black, white, silver and day glow red launch vehicle paint job with a few decals tossed in for variety.

Here are a couple of pics:

IMG_20161029_122105.jpgIMG_20161029_122224.jpg

Gonna go see if HL has any more cheap boosters!

Kewl! :cool: I forgot to look for the boosters when I was in HL on Friday... Dangit!

My HL has LOADS of these.
After seeing what you guys have done with some of these, I'm tempted to get a few. :)

I picked one up finally! I have a question though, as the instructions that come with it are severely lacking... Besides the screw on nozzle piece, there was another piece that seems to fit in the top of the booster that is somewhat nozzle shaped inside. What is that used for? :confused2:

Actually, I saw a YouTube video that explained the piece to me. I guess it gets screwed into the aft end of the sustainer and is the retainer for the sustainer motor. That's what threw me off. The only rockets I have with a screw on motor retainer are my Mega Der Red Max and my Laserhawk. Everything else is engine hook or friction and tape.

Ah yes. Wish Estes sold the plastic screw on retainers in all sizes.

Come to think of it, someone could take measurements from the e2x boosters and scale down to make an 18mm set on shapeways or some such.

Back