Rocket brands/where to buy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Micro buttons go with Maker Beam 10mm rails available on Amazon.

Mini buttons go with 15mm Misumi rails.

1010 buttons go with 1 inch rails.

1515 buttons go with 1.5 inch rails.
Mini buttons also fit 20mm rails as that is what I have.

I stole this image from a post by terryg.

rails-jpg.362768

And here is the technical report link:

https://www.narhams.org/library/tech/021-LaunchRails.pdf

If you're only an hour from the closet high power field that is very good. I was hesitant to go to my first high power club launch but I wish I went sooner. rockets all day long and big ones too. also on field motor vendors and less likely to get my rocket stuck in a tree or lost. the high powered fields a have huge expanses of open land and its really hard to lose a rocket unless it goes out of sight. I recommend buying a LOC kit as your first non Estes rocket as the materials and construction are very similar. Mach 1 makes some nice looking kits and I've heard nothing but good things about them but you will need to use epoxy and supply many of the little pieces as I dont think the kits come complete.

That's a hole lot on buttons but all you really need to know is any club launch you go to will have the three rod sizes and 1010 rails. Any other sizes they may not have.
I do recommend 1010 buttons on the size rockets you are considering because some clubs require all rockets F powered and higher be flown off rails.
I recommend buying a LOC kit as your first non Estes rocket as the materials and construction are very similar. Mach 1 makes some nice looking kits and I've heard nothing but good things about them but you will need to use epoxy and supply many of the little pieces as I dont think the kits come complete.
The Mad Cow and the LOC kits are pretty complete, I don't have a Mach 1 kit.
What you can do is go to most manufacturers web sites and download the assembly instructions for the rockets you are considering.
That should let you know whats included, what you will need, and how complicated the assembly is.

If you can, you should go to a club launch and see someone build and fly a reloadable motor. They are not for everyone and Aerotech instructions can be confusing to the uninitiated. I am not try to scare you off; just want you to think about this. And a G76 is a very powerful motor compared to an E. Club launches are great places to learn stuff and to fly. Hopefully, lots of eyes tracking those rockets that go high. You have a much greater chance of recovering your rocket at a club launch than launching by yourself.

If you can, you should go to a club launch and see someone build and fly a reloadable motor. They are not for everyone and Aerotech instructions can be confusing to the uninitiated. I am not try to scare you off; just want you to think about this. And a G76 is a very powerful motor compared to an E. Club launches are great places to learn stuff and to fly. Hopefully, lots of eyes tracking those rockets that go high. You have a much greater chance of recovering your rocket at a club launch than launching by yourself.

I’ve reached out to the local club (1.5 hours away) and haven’t heard a thing from them. So I’m pretty much out of options for what I want to be doing. So a lot of this is going to be learning as I go and finding out as much as I can on here from those willing to pass on their knowledge.

I’ve reached out to the local club (1.5 hours away) and haven’t heard a thing from them. So I’m pretty much out of options for what I want to be doing. So a lot of this is going to be learning as I go and finding out as much as I can on here from those willing to pass on their knowledge.
I'd give them some time and ask again. Some clubs in the northern US don't fly in the winter; some do. This club may be on hiatus until the weather improves.

I must agree with gna. The Club I'm in only flies during the summer. Call it May thru Sept. IF we get lucky. THe launch site is in South-west Maine.

Back