ROCKET BOOSTED 1/8 SCALE RC CAR HELP

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by arelee, Jan 11, 2020.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Jan 17, 2020 #91

arelee

arelee

arelee

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

Thank's, I'll keep that in mind!

2. Jan 17, 2020 #92
  3. Jan 17, 2020 #93

arelee

arelee

arelee

4. Jan 18, 2020 #94

KC3KNM

KC3KNM

KC3KNM

I guess I can repeat it one last time, with your interpretation of the code (by using motor in a manner consistent with instructions), R/C flight would be illegal using motors made for rockets and not R/C aircraft (which seems quite common these days). It's contradictory, and thus leaves a bit of a loophole in it's wording.

I know you haven't advocated suspending membership, but what I'm saying is if you're so concerned about people doing things that break NFPA code (not actually a law), then we should go after those bad people that do so, no? I don't see you posting in the other forums stating this.

The instructions mention storage and ignition. As you've said the code isn't that long or complicated, so it should be fairly clear.

@arelee if you want to please the nanny state and be totally in the clear, contact a local university and ask for some help from students. If your project is part of a universities activities then you can apparently ignore this entire thing. :D

1.1.4 This code shall not apply to the design, construction, production, manufacture, fabrication, maintenance, launch, flight, test, operation, use, or other activity that is connected with a rocket or rocket motor where carried out or engaged in by any of the following: (1) National, state, or local government (2) Individual, firm, partnership, joint venture, corporation, or other business entity engaged as a licensed business in the research, development, production, testing, maintenance, or supply of rockets, rocket motors, rocket propellant chemicals, or rocket components or parts (3) Colleges or universities

5. Jan 18, 2020 #95

arelee

arelee

arelee

Hey KC3KNM,

Nice work counselor. The check's in the mail.

Seriously, how do you know so much about all of the laws and regulations on the subject? Remarkable!

I appreciate that you post your insight in this thread, as instead of a "private conversation" on this forum.

Have a great day!

6. Jan 18, 2020 #96

KC3KNM

KC3KNM

KC3KNM

I don't, I'm not totally sure these codes are law. I can't find much saying either way on google outside of that link I posted earlier stating the codes serve as recommendations that governing bodies can adopt. From my understanding a lot of the codes related to buildings and workplace safety are law and enforced by OSHA, but not everything the NFPA puts out is an enforceable law. Please don't side with me on the basis that my opinion aligns with your project's ambitions.

Despite the argument that these are laws, and repeating it endlessly gldkngt hasn't actually proven either way. So, if it were obvious I think we'd have settled this already.

I wouldn't take much of what I'm saying as fact, as much as just my opinion based off some google searches. As you can see, many have built projects like the one your planning (even estes had their rocket dragsters, which again would have been considered illegal if this is in fact law), so I'm leaning towards this not being illegal. If you're safe about it and do it in a controlled environment I think you'll be all-right. But I absolutely do not know either way, and I'm hoping that I've been clear in my previous posts.

I'm really hoping more experienced on laws and regulations affecting our hobby chimes in, perhaps @Steve Shannon might have a better understanding of what's kosher?

arelee likes this.
  7. Jan 18, 2020 #97

blackjack2564

blackjack2564

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's

what's the plan for mounting the R-motor to frame?

arelee likes this.
  8. Jan 18, 2020 #98

arelee

arelee

arelee

All the same, impressive detective work.

Thank's

9. Jan 18, 2020 #99

arelee

arelee

arelee

I'm on the fence right now, but I'm leaning towards fabricating a (5) sided, aluminum or sheet metal box that includes a plate that will attach to the bottom of the chassis.

Inside the box will be a tube that will house the motor. The tube will will be on a swivel that can be secured, allowing for the correct angle to be dialed-in.

10. Jan 18, 2020 #100

Titan II

Titan II

Titan II

You may already know the following, but if not, here are a couple comments regarding the ignition system.

Here are two common ways to accomplish this using a spare channel. One is using an RC switch such as:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-receiver-controlled-switch-1.html

If you go this route, please watch the following video. Turning on, and connecting your equipment, must go in a specific sequence. You will see what I mean when you watch the video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJZFAfSgJX0

Another option is the use of a relay such as seen in the following link. These also work very well.

https://www.pololu.com/product/2804

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  11. Jan 19, 2020 #101

arelee

arelee

arelee

Hey Titan II,

This is some very valuable information. Just what I needed.

How do I save this youtube video into my computer, (I don't have a Youtube account)?

Thank you for taking the time to put this all together.

Have a great day.

12. Jan 25, 2020 #102

Charles Botkin

Charles Botkin

Charles Botkin

arelee likes this.
  13. Jan 26, 2020 #103

arelee

arelee

arelee

Thank's Charles. That's a great help.