Rocket Barn Weathervane

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexzogh

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I moved to Virginia last year, and have been in the process of building a "Rocket Barn" for all of my goodies - it's taken a long, long time, but I'm almost done. I'll do a separate thread on the rocekt barn itself - when I decided to put a cupola on the barn, I knew I needed a weathervane to keep with the 'country' setting. I found a custom builder of beautiful weathervanes and started the pre-order process last year. Well, construction has begun! I opted to have them build a Harpoon missile weathervane, which was my all-time favorite rocket.

They recently sent me a link to their blog, where they are providing me updates on it's construction: https://ferroweathervanes.com/harpoon-missle-weathervane-zoughlin-estate/

Can't believe how excited I am about a weathervane.... my wife keeps giggling every time I mention it.

Here is the Cupola it will be going on:

cupola.JPG

from the construction blog:

Harpoon Missle Weathervane, Zoghlin Estate​

Custom Work
Click On Images To Enlarge.
Harpoon Missle Weathervane Design
The Harpoon Missile figure will be 54″ long full bodied with a 4 tone finish.
Laying out the design on the copper sheet.
Harpoon Missle Weathervane A
Harpoon Missle Weathervane B
Once all the detail lines are tapped-in, the pieces are rolled then soldered together.
Shaping a part of the nose cone.
Harpoon Missle Weathervane C
Harpoon Missle Weathervane D
Hollow-formed fins.

More Coming Soon!
Jon V -Artist Bio-
Jon is one of the world’s up and coming weathervane sculptors. His pieces are solid, beautiful examples of a traditional trade. His work often goes home with him as chasing has become a hobby for him. Jon usually handles the larger and more complex pieces.

I'll make a separate thread for the garage itself.

looks like my weatrhervane artist is making good progress....

View attachment 525909
View attachment 525910

I hope he is enjoying the build as well. I can only imagine he is, as that's how art usually works, but if he is enjoying the process, you'll get something even more amazing than you could ever imagine, I bet.

Sandy.

The weathervane is finally finished and on the cupola.

A word to the wise.... install the weathervane when you install the cupola! Doing it after the fact was a major pain in the butt, and required the rental of some big equipment and the help of some neighbors to get up there, and take the roof off for installation.

20220901_075801.jpg20220901_075934.jpgweathervane.jpg
Zoghlin Missle Weathervane.jpg

A quick and dirty drone video:

Awesome. Any chance of us seeing your promised barn thread any time soon?

Awesome. Any chance of us seeing your promised barn thread any time soon?

Soon :)

Most of my equipment went to storage when we moved, and we just moved all the boxes from storage into the garage..... Need to clean it up and do some unboxing before showing it off. As you can see from the video, I can't even fit my car in the garage at the moment due to all of the boxes.

The weathervane is finally finished and on the cupola.

A word to the wise.... install the weathervane when you install the cupola! Doing it after the fact was a major pain in the butt, and required the rental of some big equipment and the help of some neighbors to get up there, and take the roof off for installation.

View attachment 536172View attachment 536171View attachment 536174
View attachment 536175

A quick and dirty drone video:

Wow, how big is your house? 10K sq. ft.?

Soon :)

Most of my equipment went to storage when we moved, and we just moved all the boxes from storage into the garage..... Need to clean it up and do some unboxing before showing it off. As you can see from the video, I can't even fit my car in the garage at the moment due to all of the boxes.
No worries. We're beginning to (casually) look at houses for our retirement (a few years off but getting closer). My wife says that we don't need a big house, but we need a place for horses and a barn "for all John's crap." And I'm trying to decide just how big a barn I will need to fit all my crap into it. 😛

Back