Rocket ACCELLERATION Records

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce

Reaction score
How fast has your rocket accelerated? What motor did you use?

How many Gs did it pull? Was the maximum acceleration near liftoff or at motor burnout?

How was the data measured?

Estes Big Daddy on an H-550----75ishG's, obviously modified.

I have another one I am building to fly an H999 or full I's at 38mm if I can figure it out. An I-1299 would be interesting.

Last edited:
Do you know if that was measured on-board, or a value calculated from I-dunno-what?
Calculated since any on-board anything would probably double the weight. 13mm minimum diameter 4 gram rocket (Estes says 3.1g) launched on an A10. Cd of 0.6 which is probably being generous with those huge fins on it.

My highest acceleration was probably around 55g or so with an I1299 in my 3" tubefin rocket. The highest that I know of was the estimated 220g that Disappearing Act pulled on the same motor. I have kicked around some designs that simulate scarily close to 300g on that motor.

L5300, the people are still looking at launch pad.

gone_in_60ms.jpg

This video won’t play on my iPad but will post link anyway
https://www.ahpra.org/L5300short.mpg

About 80G, semi-MD 54mm on an AT K2050. Had a Proton in it so I could verify the acceleration/velocity.

I have topped 100G twice. First time was on a old rocket with a H999 that saw about 110G. My new rocket Poof (link above) did 100G on an H699. I have a H999 loaded and ready to launch as soon as I get the chance. But since my Raven V4 tops out at 105G I will not be able to get an accurate Max. Original sims show 230G but I think realistically it will be around 160-180G. I need to find an old Raven with the 250G sensor and give it a launch someday!

Was it all in the same direction?????

38 mm minimum diameter on an H999 was a bit over 100 g's
Hes saying he was going mach when it impacted and buried itself 3 feet in the ground. From mach to 0 in 3 feet.

Anyone figure out terminal velocity of an optimized rocket from very high up?

As Neutron95 said, minimum mass on a i-1299 is crazy, but Id bet that during the N5800 Challenge the acceleration during some of those shreds would be insane. Of course they weren't intending on it happening so I don't think it counts.

It's pretty hard to hit 100G going up. Coming down... not as hard. I think a lot of us have done it... unintentionally, of course... :)

Back