Rocket 2 XXL, HPR lvl 1 cert rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is 5-minute epoxy good enough for secure the centering rings to the MMT and the airframe? Or how should I do that, because I feel that every video I see just says “epoxy”. And I can also get 5-min at the store.

Is 5-minute epoxy good enough for secure the centering rings to the MMT and the airframe? Or how should I do that, because I feel that every video I see just says “epoxy”. And I can also get 5-min at the store.
Should be fine, but 5 minutes is pretty short. If you can find 15- or 30-minute hobby epoxy you'll probably have an easier time of it.

Is 5-minute epoxy good enough for secure the centering rings to the MMT and the airframe?

Any epoxy will be stronger than the tube & rings, but like @jmasterj said, 5-min is a short working time. It could lead you to set something into place before you're ready. The materials will work if you're up to it. I'd recommend peeling the glassine layer from the area to be glued on the outside of the MMT.

Should be fine, but 5 minutes is pretty short. If you can find 15- or 30-minute hobby epoxy you'll probably have an easier time of it.

Any epoxy will be stronger than the tube & rings, but like @jmasterj said, 5-min is a short working time. It could lead you to set something into place before you're ready. The materials will work if you're up to it. I'd recommend peeling the glassine layer from the area to be glued on the outside of the MMT.

Yeah good call, since I’m still not super experienced with epoxy, i think the 15min will be better, and it’s on sale on Amazon rn so I will order some.

I used the J B Weld 5 minute epoxy on mounting the centering rings to all my 38 mm motor tubes and setting the fin root onto the motor tube between centering rings, without any issues or problems on both my L1 and L2 rockets. I did use Total Boat Thixo Fast Setting thick epoxy as fillet material on the fin root inside the rocket and outside. I did have an issue where I didn't let the initial JB Weld completely cure before putting on the Thixo. In that instance, the Thixo did NOT set up correctly and had to be removed and reapplied after I cleaned up the area and prepped it again.

I’m getting ready to cut the mmt down to size, and I was wondering if there was a recommended amount of volume/length I should leave between the upper ring, and the bottom of the nose cone?

I do not like the Grain orientation on the fins. I prefer the grain to be parallel to the fin leading edge.

Length of BT between MMT and nose needs to be large enough for ALL the Recovery pieces. Chute, Nomex or wadding, cords.
Do you have all the recovery parts? Then pack every thing into the tube and measure the length needed then add some.

I do not like the Grain orientation on the fins. I prefer the grain to be parallel to the fin leading edge.

Length of BT between MMT and nose needs to be large enough for ALL the Recovery pieces. Chute, Nomex or wadding, cords.
Do you have all the recovery parts? Then pack every thing into the tube and measure the length needed then add some.
That’s the problem, I don’t have the chute yet, but I could find the dimensions and make one from a trash bag or something for a mock-up

Back