Rocket 2 R.O.Y; rear chute ejection rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voyhager3

Orange is best color, NAR/TRA L2
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Welp, I’m back and I’m building another… rocket 2 variant, this time as a rear eject variant inspired by the one and only Roy (R.O.C.C RSO and announcer, only flies rear ejection rockets)!
It is based off of my R-2 3.3 platform4DA18B9F-E437-4233-8780-2BFB4C676941.jpeg
(This is not the R.O.Y, this is just what the R-2 3.3 is)
It will take a 18mm motor, and will use a 12” chute. This is my first rear eject chute, but lakeroadsters threads were helpful and I can’t wait to see if this works!
65B1436E-F7BA-4185-B132-9159CC1A0BBB.jpeg
This is what I got so far, a 3’ kev shock cord to the motor mount, and a and elastic cord as a leader line to the chute (will probably change to Kevlar later, I just don’t have any rn). And the chute get wrapped around the motor mount and it has done successful test fittings and test chucks to test if the chute would open. So let’s hope this goes well!

Yeah I’m planning on it , I just don’t know what day yet… but it’s looking kinda sketchy rain wise. But it’s still 2 weeks out so you never know.
I can't be out in weather much below 55°, as my bronchial tubes close up but I have trouble breathing/ gasping for air, not a pretty sight so I'll be in a blue power chair if you see me there.

Everything has been built and assembled, and to secure the nose cone I used some of these servo screws that I found.
350CE550-2283-4813-9114-5EC738C9C4E3.jpeg
And yes, I am using a paper towel roll as a stand because I’m lazy and tired,
I don’t know if I’ll be able to get the full livery painted by next Saturday, but I will atleast have the white and black done.

It has been flown 2.5 times!
The first flight was good, worked perfectly!
The second, flight was interesting, because it got hung up on the rail. So that was unfortunate.
The third, or flight 2.5 went better, but on recover I found that the centering ring had detached from the motor mount, so I need to rework that. I talked with Roy, and got some advice on how to make it more reliable.
But I hope to repair it and fly it again this February!
F6665C8A-FA20-43CB-916D-4A58FBF10C78.jpeg
(It’s the one in the middle back)

I would add videos, but they are in 4K so I can’t upload them here :(

Back