Rock-A-Chute Mark III

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
Carlisle's Rock-A-Chute Mark I had a paper nose cone and wasn't viable. The Mark II was the first model rocket ever. The/an original is in the Smithsonian.

Semroc is selling clones of the Mark II. I bought and built one, and flew it at the recent CATO launch. It flew fantastic.

Home I came, and dug straight away into my box of parts. And thanks to the fine woodworking of Sandman, I have just completed the 213% upscale, BT70 based, 24mm motor mount Rock-A-Chute Mark III.

Pics in a few days.

Dynasoar: I'm working on getting the dimensions for the Carlisle Rock-A-Chute Mark 1..... Maybe we can get Sandman to turn us some custom nosecones...... and did you know there was a Rock-A-Chute Mark 2.5 ??

https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/publications.htm#AM 05/58

I think it will/would be cool to have all 3 in large scales of course ......bt-70 or bt-80 or even 3-4" in diameter!
Good work! I look forward to seeing pics of your Upscale....

Originally posted by shockwaveriderz
Dynasoar: I'm working on getting the dimensions for the Carlisle Rock-A-Chute Mark 1..... Maybe we can get Sandman to turn us some custom nosecones...... and did you know there was a Rock-A-Chute Mark 2.5 ??

https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/publications.htm#AM 05/58

I think it will/would be cool to have all 3 in large scales of course ......bt-70 or bt-80 or even 3-4" in diameter!
Good work! I look forward to seeing pics of your Upscale....

The 2.5 (May '58 MMI article) would be easy to duplicate since it has a fairly standard ogive nose. The 2 had that long, very slight taper, topped with a hemisphere, a real odd shape, hence calling Sandman to the rescue. I can't see trying the Mark 1 except maybe as a static model. Those fin stilts would fry right off. Unless the engine was mostly exposed and sat between them. Can't tell from this pic. I wonder if a Mark 1 exists anywhere.

The original tubes were 1.04" OD. A BT50 based version would be about a 94% scale, or 95% if you used heavy wall T50H, like BMS carries.

Of course the engines were different then so you'd need an 18mm MMT to fit it or else go with 24mm and expect to use an 18mm adapter. It really ripped on a B6-4.

I'll wait until after testing the Mark III before upscaling farther, but I think a BT80/2.6" with 29mm MMT is perfectly doable. And I'm seriously considering getting my L1 using a 3"/38mm Mark IV, just out of sheer ornery.

I don't want to steal anybody's thunder, but you can probably expect to start seeing some new upscaled old clone kits pretty soon.

Here they are, Rock-A-Chute Mk II and its big brother Mk III.

Originally posted by DynaSoar
I don't want to steal anybody's thunder, but you can probably expect to start seeing some new upscaled old clone kits pretty soon.

Hmmm....

Upscaling rules.

I've got 4 complete and a few others (man, I can't wait to build these and show them off) in the works.

But mine aren't kits....

Back