Roc 12-03

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveyfire

Piled Higher and Deeper
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Wow... eventful day yesterday...

I went out to fly a couple small rockets and hang out at the launch. I also wanted to pick up an L850W for my 4" Arcas (it needs more power!) and a 3" nose cone to complete the nose cone of my Nike-Smoke (I'm working on it, I swear!).

It was cold with overcast at about 4000 feet. I decided to hold off on prepping anything, hoping the weather would turn for the better. In the meantime, I helped a couple people with their L1 certs (including my friend who recently turned 18) and helping out my friend Kurt Gugisberg with his "Big Dumb Rocket". Big Dumb flew on an L952W and was also supposed to have 3x J420 Redlines to get the rocket off the pad faster. Unfortunately, at launch, all three Js chuffed and ended up not lighting. The 65 lb rocket took off the pad S-L-O-W-L-Y on the L alone (give props to that motor!) with a T/W of about 2:1. Apparently, this was not enough to arm the accelerometers, as the Big Dumb Rocket turned over at apogee and came in ballistic. It hurt to watch this -- BDR flew on the first M motor I had ever seen, and was the first "really big" rocket I ever saw. Kurt plans to rebuild -- the aft 3 feet of the booster was untouched. We tried to convinced him to turn it into an N-M 2-stager with another rocket on top. Who knows... :rolleyes:

Bill Farr was also at this launch. This guy flies like a madman. He did four or five rockets, including a two-stager, and a 6" rocket with 2x K485TW motors airstarting 2x I154Js, with same-end dual deployment. His last flight of the day (he "squeezed it in" -- yeah, 9200 feet of squeezing!) was a 4" rocket on a 3" K560W. And he got em all back 100% intact. Ya gotta love it.

My 3 flights of the day were a LOC IV on an H165R, my modified Phobos on an H180W (giving it a rest from its diet of fast J motors), and my brand shiny new Inspector Gadget on a Cesaroni J285 (perfect flight -- this one will LOVE a K1100T!). I prepped and flew all of these in about a 2.5 hr span. And they all worked. And they all need more power! I plan on doing a J275W in Inspector Gadget at the next launch. Probably. Either that or a K550W in my Arcas.

Or both. :D

Pictures at: https://tinyurl.com/z88m

Ouch! It hurts to see the picture of the BDR bounce off the ground like that. Sometimes it's hard to overcome those crashes and start over. I've had such a bad run of prangs, core samples, and bad flights that my spirits are really in the dirt. (no pun intended)

I just noticed the pictures.... OUCH is dead on. Very interesting video though... How high do you think it went?

Nick-

It's an AT 54mm Hybrid motor. WL grain with a tank instead of a forward closure. Pretty fast, too!

We guesstimate about 1500 feet... I guess I could calculate it from apogee to impact... it's about 1800 feet, about because the rocket flat spun for a while before it turned ballistic. Oh well, that's the way the cardboard (or at least fiberglass) crumbles!

Yup... K485 Turbo Hybrids. Basically a J415W with nitrous on the end! They picked that 6" kevlar rocket up and MOVED it into the air! Too bad we didn't get that flight on video. Bill's done that one once before on 2x K550Ws airstarting 2x J170Hs, also a perfect flight. MAN I hate that guy! :kill: ;)

Back