Robert's L1 - Homebuilt Estes Renegade Upscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertH3

No need to buy stands after a launch day!
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've had the Mini-Magg built for a while, but I kind of wanted to roll my own for the actual cert and fly the Magg with a large motor afterward. Here are some Renegade build pics:
Fins are 3/16" TEN PLY (overbuilding tendency) - I got two sheets of Sig 3/32 5 ply and laminated them together with Titebond II, cut fins out with a jigsaw, etc. Laminating a lighter wood with 1/32" ply would probably have been as good and lighter, but I've hit a doorframe carrying it around w/o a dent (it dinged the doorframe) so OK!
Good day that bevel jigs are easy to make, no way are you sanding a bevel into that stuff w/o a lot of sweat. Tube is standard 75mm LOC cardboard, 29mm motor mount. With DMS that lets me go to app. an I-200 and roughly 2700 ft. Good enough! I built an ejection baffle into the rocket - 3 in. dia. 6" long LOC coupler with centering ring on the bottom, #3 steel wool inside, and a bulkhead vent plate on top. No light shows through and no resistance to air so I think I got that right. No way to trap a motor ejection plug either, it will just shake out. Seemed like the best way. Onto the nose cone...
I got a 4" x 4" block of balsa and was CERTAIN I could turn a 75mm Estes "AH" profile nose cone. I have a bit of turning experience but Balsa isn't the same. Got it near perfect - see pic. However, since balsa is sawn from a tree just like a hardwood plank, the grain got me. I got it shaped in and was sneaking it down with sandpaper. Because of the plank cut, longitudinally some of the grain was harder than other parts,. Turned out a little bit elliptical with the harder grain standing out. Sigh. You could do it if you used a metal lathe with a vernier rest for the cutting head. There would be no tendency to go deeper on the softer bits. Well, the inexpensive fiberglass cone I had that needed much work was used. I knocked off some of the tip to give it a little bit of Renegade profile, but overall went with it. Maybe a spruce cone next time???
Overall she came out app. 38-40oz, and I will use the 3' chute I got with the Magg for this rocket. It is sadly purple and green, should have a Shrek face on it. They are too expensive to not use though. I have a set of stickers ready, they will go on after gloss coat on the black portion. Nicely enough, just like the original kit, easy to paint. Take it apart and paint sections separately :) I will probably have some questions shortly and may post in thread if that's OK... Whew - homebuilt turned out OK!

Cheers / Robert

guts small.jpgnose cone turn 2.jpgRenegade Upscale Small.png

That came out really well! Good luck with the cert flight. Turning balsa is tricky, do you think that the cone is still useable?

I think I can make a nice 2.6 (BT80) cone out of it when I figure a way to dodge the grain issue. No waste other than dust!
I'll have 2 chances on level 1 when I get a launch picked out. Renegade seemed like a good pick, fairly simple and very stable. I think it will be a no problem flight. My first hand-cut TTW build too. Good thing about epoxy is it hides a little rough there! I have a slot jig built now.

Cheers / Robert

Love the Renegade. I would not have though of upscaling that one!
I still have mine from the mid 70’s (It’s retired now)

Very nice! Love the Renegade, too. I did a ~2¼" upscale in fiberglass 20-something years ago. It survived a ballistic recovery from a faulty I-211 delay, but got lost in a move. They're not a common sight. I'm glad to see another, thanks for posting.

Great fliers indeed, and they look good on the pad. Post a report with pics when you launch!

Well, lost in moving is bad but my former spouse threw away an Estes Phoenix with 3 x 24mm cluster. Don't know which one is worse. I was proud of that rocket - 60 whole Ns with 3 x D12-7's...lawn darts and CATOS at least provide a little entertainment.

This is an easy build and reasonable cost, less nose cone 65 bucks or so. 75mm LOC tube and bonus - the upper tube scales to 34" so you don't have to cut it. Things to add - got these from my club. Payload/Dual deploy section (plenty of room) and 38mm mount (you can use a reducer to fly 29mm). Still room for the baffle if you want, though it is a source of weight. The 4:1 Ogive I used is available from Madcow/Apogee. JimZ, of course, provided instructions and scaling data for fins from his super site! Due to length, a drogue is recommended to prevent "plunging body tube dragging nose cone" syndrome. I did my TTW tabs a little weird, wanted one edge of the tab against a centering ring. See pic. You could reduce weight by using a different fins - maybe sandwiched and reducing the size of the baffle to 3." I could also have used "less" :rolleyes: epoxy and more Titebond and I am working on that issue. Realizing that an H135W produces app. 40lbs of thrust on 5000lb strength epoxy, well, I get that now...you could probably get to 32oz easy. I do like epoxy for couplers, you get work time and no annoying freezing and bent tubes trying to break them loose. Cheers/Robert
12 Renegade XL Fin Beveled.jpg

Renegade XL launched yesterday for my Level 1 High power cert on a 29mm H135W-8. Launch perfect but the drill bit in my delay tool wasn't properly set. She arced over at 1750' apogee and deployed at 10.5-11 seconds. Chute ripped off and down into the 7' corn. Moral - yet another checkpoint for HPR: have your delay tool checked or compare to one that is working. I am not going to turn the thread into a MFR bit$h session, I already sent them an email and pics. Just wanted to post the launch pic of my baby going up. A little off center but I was a little twitchy too. I may resurrect in a 2.6, or if Estes does come out with a 3" MDRM, use the AH cone from that kit for a new one.

After the wreck, our vendor checked my Delay tool with a new one and fixed it. I got my cert on my MDRM with an H115DM-6. Exact on time deployment.

Cheers / Robert

Renegade H135W.jpg

Back