Roadrunner Rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

TNmike

Reaction score
Are they still manufacturing motors? Nothing on their website indicates they are defunct. Yet ThrustCurve says they are not in production, and I haven't seen anything to confirm they are still in business. So, what is it? Inquiring minds want to know.

TNmike

Reaction score
Bummer. I wished there were 2 or 3 more who made single use motors.

mikec

Reaction score
Yes, these looked like good motors, and they were even certified for use in California. I'd be curious to know what the story with RR was -- they used molded cases like Aerotech's.

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
Reaction score
They were great motors, I flew dozens of them without a single issue. I still have one or two left to fly but haven't flown anything small for a while. At one launch I flew 7 RR motors which was probably the most fun I've ever had at a launch.

RR also caused AT to up their game. After RR came on the market, Gary moved to molded cases and regular two-wire ignitors for his F & G motors. So anyone who buys a SU F or G motor today is still benefitting from RR motors. (Darkstar motors had those as well but were long out of production.)

RoadRunner is also now out of production unfortunately.

Tony

RoyAtl

Reaction score
Four years ago, I inquired about becoming a vendor for RoadRunner at our launches, and the owner wrote back saying he no longer had time for the business, and did not see that changing in the future. Now four years later, and that doesn't seem to have changed.

And yes, the five motors I purchased and used were very good.

samb

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Shread is a punk rocker ?!? Who knew. :wink:

A Roadrunner F45 was my first AP motor back in 2007. You never forget your first one. :)

jsdemar

Reaction score
Roadrunner motors were manufactured by Ellis Mountain. After Robert Ellis' untimely passing, there weren't many other options for the owner. It was a significant investment for a small market when they decided to mold the casings. Other custom jigs were made to help reduce the labor cost. I had the pleasure of visiting Bob several times when I used to live 30 minutes from him. A great loss to the hobby when he died.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I think Roadrunner and Ellis are two fo the single motors I really miss.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
i really wish some one had the formulas.

jsdemar

Reaction score
The formulas were simple low-solids, good for pourable processing. The other thing that made them long-burn was the grain geometry Ellis used.

Bdpeters

Reaction score
they are great motors, got a couple left. looks like they are still certified but it looks like the G80 is expiring dec 30th.

dvdsnyd

Reaction score
John, Do you have any more information on the grain geometry? I assume it differed quite a bit from simple bates grains?

The formulas were simple low-solids, good for pourable processing. The other thing that made them long-burn was the grain geometry Ellis used.

jsdemar

Reaction score
John, Do you have any more information on the grain geometry? I assume it differed quite a bit from simple bates grains?
They were C-slots, mostly. I think some larger long-burn motors were offset long cores.