Road Trip: Space Port

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
We left the house today. We are on our way to New Mexico.

I just realized that this will be the first launch that we are attending where I was not runnings are assisting with the running of a launch in 13 years. I am going to enjoy this.

Thanks. In Alabama. Traffic was interesting . Lots of construction. I think they have been fixing roads in Atlanta since Sherman march through.
Atlanta traffic is a death race. I'm told Houston is worse, but have no desire to find out.

Stopped for the night in Sweetwater, TX. I have to say that I miss Texas. I am from West Virginia, but Texas and West Virginia are very similar in many ways. Very independent and we do not like outsiders telling us how to do things better. Go Texas.

Had Buck's Steaks and BBQ for dinner. Great service and Hospitality. I loved stopping at that tourist trap Buckee's near Terrel TX. What can I say about Spec's Liquor Stores?

Wind Mills all over the place. Too bad they are not recyclable. Maybe we can use them for chopped fiberglass?

E31ACA60-4F8E-4259-A9C0-DF75ED17ECBB.jpg

A see miles west of sweetwater and there are windmills everywhere.

43E276D3-6F44-4D73-89FB-4DA9859BEEBC.jpeg

Maybe!
"Once GFS processes fiberglass into raw material, we then create versatile, customized products such as composite panels, railroad ties, plastic composites, and beyond"
https://www.globalfiberglassinc.com

I hope recycling them become reality. Currently, they are dumped and buried on landfills. What a waste!

Wind Mills all over the place. Too bad they are not recyclable. Maybe we can use them for chopped fiberglass?

View attachment 523455
Many of them are filled with balsa, which I gather is the main reason hobby balsa quality is down and price is up. Wonder how usable that balsa would be if reclaimed from retired blades.

Many of them are filled with balsa, which I gather is the main reason hobby balsa quality is down and price is up. Wonder how usable that balsa would be if reclaimed from retired blades.
It would seem to be useable. I can’t imagine why ti would now.

In LAX, missed the connecting flight. Now going to Austin for tonight and onto El Paso tomorrow.

What a dog's breakfast the original booking consultant has made :( .

I hope you can at least get out of the airport and do something. . .

As weird as it is, when I've had airport FUBAR's every now and then when re-scheduling a flight at the desk, I ask for the latest option, not the first one. The person usually looks at you weird, but if I've got the option of spending 2-3 hours walking around downtown wherever vs. sitting in an airport, I take it. Note that if you opt for this, you have to go through security again, but being away from the airport is worth it to me, if the trip allows for the deviation.

Sandy.

I am the mentor for the Citadel who is competing in the Spaceport America Cup. I am pretty proud of these guys. They are one of the smaller clubs and have done a great job flying and planning in prep. I can't wait to see their flight.

Atlanta has definitely been fixing roads since a march where a bunch of stuff got burned and looted (last year). The 400 entrance/exit has taken forever though for what it really is. China can build 6,000 miles of road per year whereas the city with the largest airport in the world struggles to do 2 exit/entrance ramps.

Three of us have made it to Austin. There was another 15 minute delay as the gate we had to use had a plane in it :questions:.

Waiting for the next flight with more people. We have all the luggage for all the team!

We left the house today. We are on our way to New Mexico.

I just realized that this will be the first launch that we are attending where I was not runnings are assisting with the running of a launch in 13 years. I am going to enjoy this.
Chuck, I will be there assisting with flight safety reviews; please look me up as I woul dlike to meet you.

Back