Roachworks Saturn 1B

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
Just a small preview of my EMRR submission.

The instructions are pretty straight forward and even if you have never tackled a kit like this before, if you take your time you'll find it quite rewarding. I think the kit hovers around a skill level 2/3. The order of assembly is logical and all pieces fit perfectly. Before you begin using those big household scissors, go to your local drug store and get a small pair of cutical scissors. They cost about 3-5 bucks, but they'll make cutting out the smaller papar pieces a snap.
A special note here. Please use his recommendations as it relates to adhesives. In particular, the Elmer's rubber cement that he talks about is just about the only glue you want to use on the special body wraps to insure perfect adhesion. The wraps are made from high quality gloss, heavy bond paper. The detail is awesome. Now there are no actual fuel tanks, but once the wrap is installed, you can't tell from 10 feet away, the illusion is pretty sweet!

Be sure to dry fit everything so you know how much curl to put into the wrap before you start applying glue. If you have any seems, you can touch them up with a little white out or a Sharpie marker.

The fins are real simple. You just fold the pre-printed fins over the enclosed fin stock, and cut them out. They are all in order according to installation so it makes gluing them on a snap.

The only change I made was using a kevlar thread type recovery section but if you use the tri-fold system, there is nothing wrong with it. Kevlar is just my choice.
12-Modifications:
13-Finishing: The only finishing you really have to do is paint the escape tower (I used white out) and dab on some color to the fins(More white out and Black Sharpie pen). After everything has dried, you can clear coat (recommended) the entire model with either Krylon Fixative #1306 or Testors Dull Coat (Light coats of this please). I made the mistake of using a heavy coat of Krylon Crystal Clear (Don't use KRYLON CRYSTAL CLEAR, at least not in rocketry) and some of the colors mottled a bit. Nothing too serious, can't even tell if you are a few feet away....

Check out the next EMRR for the whole submission.

I also have a Roachwerks IB and I like it a lot. It's a fun flyer and a big fave with onlookers - they've all seen pictures of Apollo-Saturns.

F_S's construction synopsis is on the mark. Construction is quick and easy, and still results in a good looking rocket.

As far as the glue to use on the tank wrap section, it is indeed important to get an aliphatic non-acid glue that does not wrinkle.

I use UHU Glue (which comes in a yellow conical bottle) to attach paper wraps and so far it has worked well. Very little pucker, and the wraps stay stuck on pretty good.

Speaking of glue for the wraps...

Member Gus's wife told him about some glue used for making scrapbooks (scrapbooking is getting really big at Micheal's).

Forgot what it's called but it come in a "pen" like a Sharpie and goes on blue but drys clear.

Gus,

Fill us in here.

Originally posted by sandman
Speaking of glue for the wraps...

Member Gus's wife told him about some glue used for making scrapbooks (scrapbooking is getting really big at Micheal's).

Forgot what it's called but it come in a "pen" like a Sharpie and goes on blue but drys clear.

Gus,

Fill us in here.

Hey Gus?Sandman...is this it?
Glue Pen

Back