Roachwerks Nike Hercules build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjl

Reaction score
Well, I received a nice little package today wrapped in brown paper. I couldn't wait to open it, even though I don't have much time to build tonight, so here's a teaser. I'll start the build either later tonight or tomorrow, depending on how long some other stuff takes, but for now, I leave you with these pics :D

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

Last edited:
Nice purchase...I bought one from the "S-man" himself at NARAM 50.
How you like getting all that stuff back in the box?
He really packs 'em in.

I'll watch with interest as you do your thing on this little gem.

It is a great looking rocket , in any size.

Ooooohhh, you got the big-un!:D I have built the 13mm version and have the 18mm version in the box still:rolleyes:..Will eventually break down and get the 24mm version(maybe one of these days the moons will align and Gordon will have some available when I have the $$'s available!:roll:) The 13mm version flies suweet! :D

Will enjoy watching the build!

OK, first update:

The first pic shows the motor tubes marked, and the second one shows them with the engine block, engine hook, and rear CR assembled. At this point, I realized that I did not have any more centering rings, despite the fact that the instructions called for 4 more at the front of the tubes. Because of this, I can't do any more tonight, but I'll make a quick run to the hobby store tomorrow and the build can then continue :)

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

OK, first update:

The first pic shows the motor tubes marked, and the second one shows them with the engine block, engine hook, and rear CR assembled. At this point, I realized that I did not have any more centering rings, despite the fact that the instructions called for 4 more at the front of the tubes. Because of this, I can't do any more tonight, but I'll make a quick run to the hobby store tomorrow and the build can then continue :)

Did I short you on centering rings???

Oh, man, PM me I have hundreds!

I had a ton of them so when I had the laser cutting done I left out those but I looks like I forgot to pack them.

I'm real sorry!

Cliff, I am about to go to the post office and mail your missing centering rings.

I'm not sure if any other kits have the rings missing but I'm sending out extra rings to everybody that got a 4 x 24mm kit.

BTW...I just sold the last one this morning...sorry.:eek:

I'll be making more as soon as the tubes arrive.

Those kits sure use up a lot of BT-55's!;)

I have a bunch of 4 x 13mm Nike Hercules kits left and just a few 4 x 18mm kits.

Thanks, guys!

Don't worry about it (it's Chris by the way). I can't wait to continue the build, so I'm going to run to the hobby store to grab some today. Looking over the parts, it appears that everything else is here, so I'm not too concerned.

Chris, great but I already sent them (to Cliff BTW:eek:).

Gee, I wish I could be like Jim Flis...he never forgets anything.:roll:

Well, after a quick run to the local hobby store, the CRs are now in place, filleted, and drying.

IMG_0550.jpg

Well, after a quick run to the local hobby store, the CRs are now in place, filleted, and drying.

Well, then you have some extras on the way.

Now you need another project that uses 50/55 centering rings...:rolleyes:

I still have a bunch of 4 x 13mm Hercules kits and some 4 x18mm Hercules kits left!:D

Last edited:
Next, the BT-55 tubes were sanded to aid in glue bonding, and then a line was drawn down them (with the handy Flis mechanical pencil of course :D). The motor tubes were then glued in (engine hooks aligned to the lines). Once that was complete, the tube spacers were marked so that the BT-55s would be easy to line up with the engine hooks in the middle. Then, two of the 4 tubes were set up and the tube spacers were glued in. The booster is starting to come together now :D

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

Actually when you are finished with the booster tube alignment thingy you can carefully cut the center part and have an extra spacer.;)

It's really a pretty fast and easy build.

My favorite part...when it's finished NO MASKING!

Just don't glue the boosters to the transition until the paint drys.

And the final pics for the night: the booster cluster of tubes is together:

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

I still have a bunch of 4 x 13mm Hercules kits and some 4 x18mm Hercules kits left!:D

sandman,

Your link to Roachwerks at the bottom of the Excelsior page is a link to Excelsior!

Can you post here the prices for these kits?

sandman,

Your link to Roachwerks at the bottom of the Excelsior page is a link to Excelsior!

Can you post here the prices for these kits?

Yea...I gotta work on that yet.:eek:

The link to the Roachwerks page is actually at the top of the Excelsior page right after "Home" but there is nothing there yet except my email.

I've been getting rid of the backlog of Excelsior orders, working up new decal sets, working on the Excelsior web site, doing custom machining (got a really big job I'm doing), plus a couple more in the que. I am working on more kits too!

Soyuz
Vostok
LTV Scout
Nike Ajax
Mini Nike Ajax

and...The Little Joe II

I also have a regular job too so the Roachwerks web site has been delayed.

The 4 x 13mm Hercules kits are $68.00 plus $5 shipping.

The 4 x 18mm Hercules kits are $95.00 plus $5 shipping.

Here's my old site but there are so many pop-ups and ads that I have to eventually drop it.

https://roachwerksmachining.com.istemp.com/

My wife told me the other day, "If you could just stick a broom in your behind you could sweep the floor at the same time!"

Busy, busy, busy!

Last edited:
Keep it up! Your hard work IS appreciated. I look forward to buying one of your 24mm Nike-Hercules' when my budget allows. Will you be offering the Nike-Ajax as a two-stage? Feel free to use anything from my build thread( Mod TLP Nike-Ajax to 2-stage) for your kits, if you find it useful. Ted

Keep it up! Your hard work IS appreciated. I look forward to buying one of your 24mm Nike-Hercules' when my budget allows. Will you be offering the Nike-Ajax as a two-stage? Feel free to use anything from my build thread( Mod TLP Nike-Ajax to 2-stage) for your kits, if you find it useful. Ted

Red, the Nike Ajax is quite a bit smaller that the Launch Pad kit at 1/12th scale. It's the same scale as the my big Nike Hercules.

I'm out of the Big Hercs right now but I have most of the parts to make more.

When I find the time.:shock:

Well, after a significant hiatus due in no small part to LDRS, I have resumed construction. The booster tubes are now glued to the transition, and the fins (and a decent portion of my fingertips) have been sanded into a nice bevel. Currently, a layer of 1.5oz fiberglass is curing over the main fins (more for durability at landing than anything else - the trailing edges are quite thin with the bevel sanded in). Pics to come probably tomorrow.

Here come some more pics. First, the completed transition (after far too much sanding), and then the transition in place on the booster tube assembly.

IMG_1091.jpg

IMG_1095.jpg

Next, the fins. The first pic shows them marked for sanding, and the second one shows them sanded into a nice bevel and then fiberglassed with 1.5 oz glass for durability.

IMG_1094.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

Last edited:
Back