Roachwerks custom cones!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkt2k1

Reaction score
I finally got these pics into the computer. These are the cones that Sandman made for me. They will be used on my Sonic Cruiser and Orbital Cruiser models. They came out great! These were not easy cones to create.

Thanks Sandman!!

Sandman,

Tailcone pics coming soon! Still need to get those into the computer. Just so everyone knows, the tail cones came out as good as the nose cones!! Pics soon!

Here is a shot of the tail cones that Sandman made up for the Sonic Cruiser. Note the one was not cored in case I wanted to build one of the models with outboard engines only. The top pictured tail cone is cored and a metallic lined tube has been mounted inside. Like I said in my earlier post, Sandman does good work!

WOW!! ASYM Nose and Tailcones........ way too cool.......

Sandman, I gotta hand it to ya, you have taken the 'rollin your own' concept and technique to a whole new level...

Actually, making those was easier...OK that is a relative term, easier for me...than turning them on a lathe.

The first step was turning it on the lathe to fit the tube then leaving a whole bunch of balsa on the turning.

From there I took the turning off of the lathe and drilled it for the motor tube. I think both tail cones are drilled...I forget, it was a long time ago.

I added the extra tail piece, I think you can see the seam.

The I used regular carving tools (yes that is another one of my hobbies), I mainly used a drawknife and a spokeshave.

Then hand shaped it with sandpaper.

More of a carving project than a turning.

Yea, that was a fun project.

sandman

Sandman,
I have to commend you on your little demonstration of "old-style" craftsmanship. Looks like fine work.
If we did a shape like that at work, we would have one of the configuration guys feed an ACAD geometry file to the model shop, and have the laser welder stack one together out of cooked plastic. Let's see, that would probably only cost about $5 or 10 K.
If I might ask, what do you charge for a wood-carving job like this? (just in case I want to try something similar)

I may be wrong on who said this but I think someone asked Michelangelo, "How do you carve an elephant?"

"You take a piece of marble and you remove everything that doesn't belong on an elephant."

As for the price I don't really remember. It was like August or September.

Probably $20...I guess. Yes, all hand work. Remember...Big difference...Homemade vs. Handmade.

sandman

Wow, now I feel bad. Sandman is right, it's been awhile since he handmade these for me! Unfortunately, with work, kids, wife, etc, I don't get as much build time as I'd like. I promise your hard work will fly as soon as I get some time. They're just to nice not to! The TRF space plane contest got me re-energized about the Cruiser design.

Thanks!!

A Drawknife and spokeshave. Wonderful tools!! I have these in my woodcarving box back from when I made model sailing ships from scratch... I have not used either for rocketry... yet!! But I do find my 1/8" wide super mini chisels that I picked up in England VERY handy for rocketry.

The REAL challenge is making both hand carved wing tail pods match each other!!

Back