Roachwerks and Sandman are still around and making balsa saw dust!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Gordon

Good to see you back!

That reminds me - I must finish that Little Joe...:rolleyes:

Damage

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
You too eh?

Oh man - at least you didn't beat me to it!

Had a busy time test flying new spaceplanes - whenever the weather and wind give us a break!

Tried again today with SERFs in Wiltshire - so windy it took me 30 mins to walk back after recevering my little son's B motor rocket!:(

One day I'll turn up with my pristine LJ2 done and you gonna be :mad:

Damage

Originally posted by RoyGreen

And while I'm sure Sandman would appreciate the business, you can get them from Semroc, too.

He's making me four of them today! I ordered two of the original with the point and two of the rounded next gen.

Boy, I just get back to real work and you gouy don't fool around.

This was very very challenging!:eek:

It's about 18" tall and the transition fits a 7.62" body tube.

I still have to make the escape tower for it.

Yes! It's a little Joe I:D

The capsule is 6.25" at the base and fits a 6" PML tube.

The transition gets glued into the main 7.62" body and has a 6" PML tube down the middle.

This was NOT easy!

UN
FREAKING
BELIEVEABLE.

Did I or did I not say he's the best in the biz?

Originally posted by DaveCombs
UN
FREAKING
BELIEVEABLE.

Did I or did I not say he's the best in the biz?

I would love to put him besdie a CNC lathe and do like the TV shows and see which is better :p

Ben

Gee, thanks, guys!

BTW...my stock of X-20 Dyna Soar nose cones has been depleted.

I have one left!

I haven't sold one of those cones in 8 months...I just shipped 6 this week!:eek:

I need to see if Phred can make me more decals.

Originally posted by sandman
The capsule is 6.25" at the base and fits a 6" PML tube.

The transition gets glued into the main 7.62" body and has a 6" PML tube down the middle.

This was NOT easy!

OK, I've gotta ask ... what do you charge for a thing like that?

Originally posted by wilsotr
OK, I've gotta ask ... what do you charge for a thing like that?

See, here's the thing about a project like that and why I charge what can seem like an awful lot to do it.

Most people when it comes to =scale= project, will just ask me to make a Mercury capsule or Gemini capsule or whatever, to fit a certain size tube.

I am somewhat fanatical when it comes to =scale= and if it is going to have my name on it I want it right.

So that means I have to spend several hours at the computer making =scale= drawings taken off of documentation that I had to find. Then scale it to fit the tube.

If I've done a similar project then I'm lucky. I just have to scale it to fit. If I haven't done one yet, then I have to start from the beginning.

When I finish the drawings in CAD then I have to convert it to a pdf and send it to the customer via email for approval.

We usually have to go back and forth a few times to get it exactly the way the customer wants it.

This all takes time before I even look at the lathe.

I think what I do is a bit more than BMS or even Carl (who I love dearly) does.

Keep in mind that all of that pre lathe work may never be used on another project. The finished product may truley be a "one-of-a-kind".

So what do I charge?

A lot less than it's worth!;)

That particular project was about $200 and took probably 4 full days at the lathe to complete.

He may have me do the escape tower.:rolleyes:

Wow. I would have guessed much more than that! That seemed like a huge undertaking making something that large, and to scale to boot. :eek:

Originally posted by foose4string
Wow. I would have guessed much more than that! That seemed like a huge undertaking making something that large, and to scale to boot. :eek:

Sure, I'd like to charge more but...nobody would pay it.:rolleyes:

I just got some Sandman Bertha noses, two of the original pointy ones and two modern rounded:

1175870671.jpg

1175871609.jpg

I'm a little disappointed though... I was expecting a chorus of angels and a golden ray when I opened the box... :D

The original pointed ones can be seen in this old plan and this old kit advertisement.

Yep... that's my computer desk... all carved up! It's OK though... I NEVER let my wedding video customers visit!

I'm a little disappointed though... I was expecting a chorus of angels and a golden ray when I opened the box...

Those only come standard with the 3" and larger cones :p

Back