RMS reloads dont fit into casings

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Taylor

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
On the 29-40/240 hobby RMS motor the reloads dont fit into the casing without peeling the outer paper off the grain .I've even had to sand and sand to get the grain to slide into the casing.
What gives? This seems like poor engineering.
Anybody?

Didn't quite finish the earlier reply, IMO its better to have to peel a layer than the liner fit too loosely in the casing and the propellant burn up the outside as the usual result of that is a cato.

Have your reload packages been open, not sealed, before use? Is it possible your reloads have swelled?

Tolerances are always an issue. I have an older Dr. Rocket 38/480 case that about 1 in 10 phenolic liners won't fit in without a lot of sanding.

I bought an Aerotech case and the liners that don't fit the Dr. Rocket case will slide right in the Aerotech case. I think I got lucky with the new case. Both were built to the same specs, but obviously the tolerances were on other end. BTW, I had to peel the label off the Aerotech case because it wouldn't fit in a 38mm MMT. Tolerances again.

I'm sure the tolerances on paper liners are way bigger and farther off than phenolic. Peeling a layer is much easier than sanding phenolic.

I have a Rousetech 38/480 case that I have to sand all phenolic liners. A real pain in the a$$.

I've had this issue with all the D13 reloads for the 18/20 case. Need to peal or sand the grain liner to get it into the case. This happens with new just opened reloads.

All the D24 reloads for this case fit perfectly.

Maybe all the D13 reloads were made and packaged when the humidity at AeroTech was high and the D24's when the humidity was low.

I just got a couple of small reload cases. 18/20 & 24/40. With the reloads coming multiple reloads to a pack. i took the kits and "rekitted them 1 to a pack (i have an impulse sealer). The other thing I did was add a small desiccant bag to each kit.

Now I am thinking about it.. is there any harm that could come from the desiccant? I was thinking it would prevent grain swelling, oxidation, etc.

Back