RMS Motor Kit Inventory

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdotmatrix

Reaction score
I pulled out my rocket stuff and i have (3)- 24-40 ARMS motor cases and ZIP LOCK BAGS with the individual propellants kits for the motors In them.

Will these RMS reload kits still work after years in my rocket field kit?

Last edited:
kind of confusing as to your question, There is no shelf life on hardware and I have found the same for reload kits although White lightning and Red tend to oxidize and might require some grain scuffing on assembly.

I pulled out my rocket stuff and i have (3)- 24-40 ARMS motor cases and ZIP LOCK BAGS with the individual motors. In them.

Will these RMS reload kits still work after years in my rocket field kit?

Check the grains for cracks or debonding from the paper. If they were kept in ambient temperatures they should be fine. I have flown AT motors that were 10 years old or more, they may have lit a little slowly but they worked fine.

The kits have been in ziplocks for maybe 7-8 years.....i should post pictures

As has been said, just remove the surface oxidation and the fuel grains should be fine. You may want to review the delay grains. I know that older delay grains that were near redline propellant for extended time caused the delay time to be vastly different than the original time (i.e. 7 second delay became a 2 second delay). I'd contact Aerotech and see if there is any concern on the delay grains.

7-8 years isnt old, they will be fine

Especially if they’ve been in ziplock bags. They’ll soak up the moisture from inside the bag, but if the bag is good, that shouldn’t be much.
I assembled a AT I161W last night that’s been around a while long before I got it...
The loose grain was pretty oxidized, but not swollen. The other two in little bags looked new. So they went on top. We’ll see Saturday. 😀

I'm assuming OP is noting that the motors were assembled, inserted into the casings and then stored for years. I guess it shouldn't matter since they don't really react with each other over time as far as I'm aware.
Personally I'd try to disassemble them so I can inspect the insides of the casings and the motor components separately...cheap insurance when you plan on sending it up in a nice rocket imo. Then again, it's only 24mm, so I'd guess it would me much lower risk of any case issue?

7-8 years isnt old, they will be fine
I concur.
I have flown motors that were over 10 years old and they were just fine.
Watch the delay grains. Sometimes they won't ignite if you don't scuff or drill them first.

Latest posts

Back