RMS lubrication?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketsonly

Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to the world of RMS, so please pardon my simplistic questions.

1) Where does the lube go in a RMS?

2) Why is it needed?

3) Which lubricants are recommended? It's for a 29/40-120.

Thanks.

Originally posted by rocketsonly
Hello. I'm new to the world of RMS, so please pardon my simplistic questions.

1) Where does the lube go in a RMS?

2) Why is it needed?

3) Which lubricants are recommended? It's for a 29/40-120.

Thanks.

The lube is used on all the O-rings, you don't need to really rub it on, you just need enough to make them shiney.

It also helps if you apply some to the external surface of the liner, this usually makes the liner easier to remove once the motor has been fired. Don't add too much here either or it will come out the end of the casing once the liner is inserted.

I have been using Vasoline with no problems.

Hope this helps.:)

I use Radio Shack grease in the white tube and only (usually unless I get a stubborn liner) grease teh o-rings. You don't need much, just a teeny tiny bit.

I'm one that doesn't use any lubricant at all...and probably never will on my RMS motors. I bring a small container of soapy water with me to the field to clean out my 29/40-120 as soon as it can be cool enough for me to handle. I can have it looking as good as unused in only a couple of minutes ;)

On the "front end" of RMS use, I have a tray that it's sole purpose is to provide me with a clean surface to build my RMS motors at the field.

I'm not the only person in my club who follows this process either. Give it a shot anyway...

HTH,

It is very important to grease the threads of the cases too. You may get by with not greasing the o-rings (makes it harder on yourself), but the threads will not last very long if you don't grease those. Aluminum on aluminum likes to bind.

I also like to grease the liner tube and nozzle shoulder of the motor. This will make cleanup a lot easier. The residue will not adheir to the case as much.

I use Dow 111. It's a little pricey at ~$10 a tube, but it works great. I put it on the outside of the liner, o-rings and the forward closure of my EX motors to keep the buildup off of them. In a pinch I'll use Vaseline instead.

Just like Doug said, it's a good idea to put it on the threads of the cases. Makes it much easier for cleanup and disassembly. Prompt cleanup after firing also helps. I use Q-tips and toothpicks to get to those hard to reach places.

Edward

4) Where does the lube not go in a RMS?

Grease on the delay grain can/will keep it from lighting, resulting in no ejection event. Have paper towels or baby wipes available to thoroughly clean the fingers after lubricating the o-rings and before handling the delay grain (try to touch only the outside of the liner of delay grain).

While focusing on the delay grain, if it is loose in the forward closure, wrap a little bit of masking tape around it to prevent flames from sneaking around it and causing an early ejection.

Bill

You also want to be very careful with the o-rings in the delay section. You only want them to shine. Any more than that, and the grease can seep into the ejection charge, and deactivate it.

I use Dow 111, good stuff
by following the tips they gave you, the casings should last quite awhile:)

I use NAPA Sil-Glyde - Lubricating Compound

Non-melting
Non-Freezing
Non-Gumming
Weatherproof

I have used it for a good number of years and am very happy with it.

Nick

Back