RMS 24/40 motor component seized

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdotmatrix

Reaction score
I was able to remove the gold retainer and motor from the casing. The top of the motor is apparently seized and I scratched the some of the black anodize of with pliers...

I am going to try some penetrating oil and heat the case up before I add the oil...

Any ideas?

I'd try the cloth and pliers if you don't have the strap wrench. Case/forward closure most likely junk anyway. Must of cross-threaded it. Are you greasing the threads before assembly??

I agree with the penetrating oil.

Not sure what tool access you have, but if you can drill holes in some wood that closely match the case surfaces and then split that in half with a saw, you can grab the case in a vise. Sometimes that can grip enough and not try to oblong the case.

The 24mm cases are tough, though, as they are small and thin. The super fine threads don't help either. . .

Good luck.

Sandy.

If you have an aerosol spray 'duster', use it to direct the cold spray into the inside or outside of the forward closure. That could work to loosen it if it is not cross threaded.

found it in some wreckage...years old

With that being the case, I would go with the oil also, I really don't think a strap wrench is going to work especially with such a small diameter. If the pliers did not work the strap wrench isn't going to, unless the oil loosens it up good. Let us know what happens.

If it wasn't cleaned after flight and left assembled for years, I would expect it to be a total loss as corrosion likely killed the threads. I have tried cycles of boiling and freezing and I think it worked one time out of 3 or 4 and that was on a bigger case that had been found on the field probably 2 months after the rocket was lost.

Sandy.

SUCCESS! Heating with a hot gun and add8ng some penetrating oil, inside and out, and it finally broke free! I switched technique-i used pliers to hold, and the rubber lid opener thing from the kitchen to turn it. I could not find a small enough strap wrench but they did have a smallish one at ace that could have worked. I have to use an antisieze silver grease on my hydrofoil for kiteboarding and i will starting using a tiny dab on some of the threads. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
SUCCESS! Heating with a hot gun and add8ng some penetrating oil, inside and out, and it finally broke free! I switched technique-i used pliers to hold, and the rubber lid opener thing from the kitchen to turn it. I could not find a small enough strap wrench but they did have a smallish one at ace that could have worked. I have to use an antisieze silver grease on my hydrofoil for kiteboarding and i will starting using a tiny dab on some of the threads. Thanks everyone!

Good win!!! Glad to hear it worked out!

Sandy.

Back