RMS 24/40 igniter ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

compass1

Reaction score
First things first .
This is my first post to The Rocketry Forum. It has been a great source of info for me.
I'm finally making my move to mid power.
My ? is about the procedure for the insertion of the igniter int a rms 24/40 f24-7w reload. The instructions say to insert the igniter all the way into the load until it bottoms at the delay element. Is this correct ? Seems to me that the delay would ignite at the same time the propellant does.
Please explain.

That is correct.

The delay does ignite at the same time as the propellant. The propellant burn time is factored into the delay.

That is correct.

The delay does ignite at the same time as the propellant. The propellant burn time is factored into the delay.

Bob's correct, also if this is a first with the reloads then you might want to rough up the C slot where the igintor head sits, helps the reload light.

First things first .
This is my first post to The Rocketry Forum. It has been a great source of info for me.
I'm finally making my move to mid power.
My ? is about the procedure for the insertion of the igniter int a rms 24/40 f24-7w reload. The instructions say to insert the igniter all the way into the load until it bottoms at the delay element. Is this correct ? Seems to me that the delay would ignite at the same time the propellant does.
Please explain.

I've also found it nearly impossible to insert a copperhead into the slot, and tend to put it in while building the motor. I don't see this as significantly more dangerous that putting Estes ignites into blackpowder motors before checking in, and would never do this with a larger motor. Feel free to correct me if this sounds stupid.

Sam

Building the igniter in when assembling the motor is actually the procedure recommended in the instruction sheet for some of the smaller motors, IIRC. I never felt very comfortable with that. Accidental ignition has nothing to do with it, though. A copperhead is no more likely than an Estes igniter to fire unintentionally.

If the igniter won't slip up through the nozzle of the motor after assembly, I worry about it not blowing out through the nozzle properly after ignition, and causing the case to over-pressurize. The fine threads on the 18 and 24mm cases don't look like they have a lot of margin before they let go (as designed).

For the motors with really small nozzle throats, I generally select an igniter with very little pyrogen, and a correspondingly small diameter. Sanding the grain slot and painting a bit of pyrogen into the top of the grain helps ensure ignition, even with a deliberately selected "wimpy" igniter. Quest Q2G2s work reliably when used like this, and slip easily into the smallest motors even after assembly.

I find that when you have an igniter that doesn't fit into a reload it is mainly due to the pyrogen head being a bit on the big side I will put it in while building the motor and have had no problems.Once it has ignited and the motor is coming up to pressure if it is a copperhead most of the copper leads will be vaporized so they don't have a chance to block the slot and have it over pressurize if it was a firstfire jr I might worry a bit but again once the pyrogen has burned there isn't much left that can get in the way of the leads to cuase a problem.

Thanks for posting. Good question! I don't have anything to add but I look forward to reading and responding to your future posts.

Back