Rips, Zips, Crimps and Dodads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkmilion

Reaction score
I repairing an old Estes Sidewinder and Prowler for someone. Wondering about some info on how to repair some things. Listed: Zipper on top of Prowler's tube, remaining damaged fin in TTW tubing, remaining damage in TTW tubing on Sidewinder, and last tube crimp on BT of Sidewinder
I usually just cut out the damage and buy a coupler to repair crimps. Never had to deal with zippering.
Just though I'd get some insight on this from the pros before I dive right in.
So drop some posts.

..... "remaining damaged fin"
Mkmilion,by that ,do you mean ,only one fin remaining?

If so, they sound pretty beat up(crimped tube ..ect)
Unless it had sentimental value ....I would personally
salvage the nosecone and plastic parts below it , yep, build annother... If it just needs a coupler,,,thats different
but than again, some Rocketeers seriously enjoy the art of "keepin em' flyin"

I usually lean tword the salvage it, and make something different group...

can you post some pics ?

..."remaining damaged fin"
Mkmilion,by that ,do you mean ,only one fin remaining?

What I meant is that there are two complete fins and the third was broken off, specifically below the tube slot. I wondering how do I get it out.
BTW I'm a salvager. I was given these rockets due to the fact that I'm good at salvaging.
On the pics part I'll see if I can borrow a D-Cam. I personally don't own one, because I spend my money on other things........hmm I wonder what?

At this moment I do not recall the diameter of the rockets you mentioned, so if they are to small for this I apologize. I recall that some have cut into the rear centering ring and gained access to the fin root that way. You could cut or scrape it out, then repair the ring or just put a new one in on top of the old one.

don't know if this will help or not - it is th emethod I used to repair one of zippered rockets

you could use a coupler but I chose to use a piece of BT to keep weight/thickness down to a minimum.

I figured I'd either cut it to the length of the zipper and/or a little bigger than the zipper's width.

will the plastic nose cone still fit after the coupler is in...?

Hmm...I don't know. I think it might it'll just be a bit tight or I could sand it a bit.

I use tape and epoxy.... You put the tape on the inside of the tube (sticking to the wall), and have enough sticking out so when the nosecone is attached, the remaining tape sticks up. This will creat the leading edge. Pour in the epoxy... walla! Instant Zipper Fix... Fixed many a rockets this way :)

Back