RIP Rene Auberjonois: Odo/Dago Red

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just got told that Rene Auberjonois passed away from lung cancer. He was famous for his roles in Star Trek: Deep Space 9 as Odo, ST:VI as Col. West, Boston Legal, Benson, and as Dago Red (Father Mulcahy) in the film version of M*A*S*H.

I got to meet him at a Con in Portland, Oregon a number of years back. While he was answering questions there, a lot of people were asking him about his role on Benson. Me, I was one of the last to get to ask him something. I was curious about all the people asking about his time on that show instead of his roles in Star Trek. Since everyone was asking him about his old roles, I decided to ask him the really serious question.

So, Dago Red... Is Hot Lips a natural blond?

Rest In Peace Rene

I also enjoyed his character on Warehouse 13 Dr. Hugo Miller, that and the Chef from the Little Mermaid (animated version) where he actually sang the song. RIP.

We met him at a couple of Sci-Fi events. He was always friendly and charming.

Something he often talked about was how he and Armin Shimerman became close friends.

Benson was the butler in Benson (and in Soap). :)

At one of the conventions we attended, we had a photo taken with Rene Auberjonois and Ethan Phillips ... both Star Trek regulars who had been in Benson.

At one of the conventions we attended, we had a photo taken with Rene Auberjonois and Ethan Phillips ... both Star Trek regulars who had been in Benson.

There was a third Star Trek actor in the photo, but I can't recall who right now. As we came in and stated to pose for the picture, I looked to the other actor and asked, "what are you doing at a Benson convention?". Fortunately, all three of the actors laughed .... (Well, that is the way I remember it, maybe they just chuckled.)

There was a third Star Trek actor in the photo, but I can't recall who right now. As we came in and stated to pose for the picture, I looked to the other actor and asked, "what are you doing at a Benson convention?". Fortunately, all three of the actors laughed .... (Well, that is the way I remember it, maybe they just chuckled.)
Now you'll have to post the picture.

Back