RIP Mary Tyler Moore

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I read that in her obit, she apparently was diagnosed at age 38, which I thought was unusual.

I have to say, I have a lot of great memories watching her in those old shows (The Dick Van Dyke Show, the Mary Tyler Moore show, etc.). It's sad to see someone pass when they brought a lot of joy to your life.

Yes, I read that in her obit, she apparently was diagnosed at age 38, which I thought was unusual.

One of the misconceptions of Type 1 diabetes is that you have to be a Juvenile. Alternatively Type 2 or Adult onset diabetes is also misleading because it infers that you have to be an adult or a certain age. In fact you can develop Type 1 and Type 2 at any age, it is just more prevalent at a younger and or older age, respectively. This is why the current practice or trend is to refer to the diseases as Type 1 or Type 2 and drop the "Juvenile" and or "Adult onset" descriptions.

I developed Type 1 diabetes at age 24, with no family history of the disease.

Current thinking with type 1 is that it is caused by an autoimmune malfunction. A contracted virus causes the immune system to attack the pancreas, killing off the beta cells that produce insulin. Entirely different from type 2, which is the result of insulin resistance, and is clearly linked to genetics.

I was diagnosed type 1 at nine months old. In July, I will have survived 50 years with it.

Back