RIP Faithful friend

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peartree

Cyborg Rocketeer
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Goodbye Wolfy my good friend.

After a difficult couple of days, this morning our faithful dog of sixteen years (who was seventeen or eighteen years old) finally lost his fight to hang on. He's been fading for the last couple years and its taken extra effort and patience to care for him the last year so it really came as no surprise. I'll bury him in the yard after the kids leave for school.

He was at least half Husky and used to run like the wind. If he got loose we didn't even try to chase him but instead had to try to corral him in the barn or trick him into running into the arms of a second chase person. Sometimes he would run for days and not get hungry enough to give up and come in the house even when the nights were well below freezing. The cold never bothered him, in fact he seemed to like it.

Today he runs free again.

View attachment 4120

John:

I am deeply sorry for your loss. Not to diminish family in any way, but there is no love quite like that of a dog, and I'm sure the grief is difficult to deal with right now.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

John,

I'm caring for a neighbor's 16 year old dog this week while a family member is in hospice and every time I see her I think of (well, aside from the doggie breath thing :p ) is how easily she becomes worn out and how much she'll be missed when she's gone.

I'm sorry for your family's loss. I'll give Molly an extra romp on Wolfy's behalf today.

Lisa

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, John.

It sounds like Wolfy had a good life, and a great home.

-Kevin

John,

I too am sorry to hear about your family's loss. To me, losing a pet is like losing one of your children - albeit they're a bit furrier. Nevertheless, it's just as heart wrenching and difficult.

My thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

John,
My heart goes out to all of you, and all of you are in my prayers.

Uncle Mike,
THAT ONE got to me.

I'll give Molly an extra long hug for both of you.

Ed

Last edited:
John,

My sympathies. Over the years we have lost many dogs, and it never gets easier. Nor would I want it to.

Sorry to hear that John. My deepest sympathies.

I lost Athena (11 year old Husky) last November to cancer. I'm just now getting where I can talk about it without tearing up. The fact that her brother Zeus is still very healthy has helped us both get over it.

Bob

Sorry dude. I'll hug my 15-yr old Shorgi a couple of extra times for you and Wolfy tonight. :(

Sorry about your loss.... I now how it must feel.

Our lab of 9 years hasn't been herself and we are trying to figure out whats going on with her.

I can't imagine not coming home to her.....:(

My thoughts and prayers are with you!!

I'm deeply sorry for your loss. Remember not to morn their loss but to cherish their life and to celibrate the good times. I know its hard to do and easy to say but its the truth. You are in my heart and my thoughts. if you need to talk feel free.

Your sorrow is our sorrow John:
We are perparing for our own Old gal to reach the same end. It's gotta be one of the worst times there can be next to loosing a human family memeber.
Our prayer are with you in your lose.

When I first got Elle (Chesapeake Bay Retriever) I knew I was in trouble and at this time do not totally know what you must be going through. But I can imagine as my deepest fear is going through what you are experiencing. My deepest sympathies to losing your buddy. The photo of him is great!

Elle has received a lot of extra hugs today and a couple extra treats in your friends honor.

My sincerest condolences as well. He's a beauty, and I'm sure he made a lot of lives a lot richer.

I'll tell you what the vet tells me everytime one of my critters passes:

"You gave him/her a good life".

Then again I always come back with "Yeah, but I wanted to continue giving it to them".

I'm very sorry John:(.

The others are more eloquent than I but I too wish to express my condolences.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, prayers and well wishes. You made a difficult day a little more bearable.

So sorry, John. We have lost many pets over the years and it is never easy. Last year we had to put down our Springer (Maggie) and one Cocker (Snowy).

Never a good thing, but a part of life...

John, my wife and I send you and your family our deepest sympathy. We are huge animal lovers and our cats and dogs are our children. We know how it feels to lose one.

UMARS, you beat me to it. That beautiful poem seems to bring some comfort to people that have lost a pet. I keep it on my computers for such occasions.

Cliff and Laresa

UMARS, you beat me to it. That beautiful poem seems to bring some comfort to people that have lost a pet. I keep it on my computers for such occasions.

I had never seen it, until now. That one really made me grab for the kleenex!

John - so sorry to hear about your loss.

Our next door neighbor is an honest to goodness traveling salesman. We have been his neighbor for 15 years, and my wife, daughter and I have helped him take care of his pets during that time. Whenever he has lost one of his pets, we have died a little, too.

His current pet is a 2 year old collie. For those of you old enough to remember the TV show, Hope looks just like Lassie. I'll never ever forget the first time I took Hope for a walk. I knew that collies are herding animals, but I never knew how they went about that task. So I'm walking down the street, and Hope is walking on my right side. She spots something off to our right that she wants to go and investigate. Next thing I know, she has moved over to my left side, and she is taking that long nose that is so distinguishing of the breed, and she is pushing against my left leg, urging me to move to the right. There is never a doubt as to which direction a collie is trying to herd you!

Animals are so wonderful - always happy to see you, always ready to play, always ready to be your confident and pal.

Again, my sincere condolences.

John:
I could barley finish your post..... having just lost my Mom and being married 20 years (NO Kids!) My Dog Kain IS! my son.....I can not even think! about that day. Needless to say my condolenses....

Regards Gary T.

Sorry to hear. My pet's are part of my family. I know how difficult it is to lose one. Just think how happy he was. And it sounds like you gave him a great home. That's all a pet can ask for. :)

I can relate to your loss. Wolfy is on the loose again!!!
We just lost our 14yo (Snowy) Samoyed who also loved the cold weather and snow.
She would also run and run and never stop. She loved to go for rides in our van.
When she ran away and was playing hard to get, She would here the click of the locks opening of our van and she would come running like mad cause she new she was going to go for a ride.

When it snowed she liked put her nose close to the ground and run. The snow
would come over her nose like a snow plow.

Wolfy and Snowy are on the loose again!!!

Back