RIP Caroll Spinny... Big Bird, Oscar the Grouch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The sad news today continues, I just got word that Caroll Spinny, the puppeteer behind Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch for many years has passed away.

I was born in 1969, and one of the first generation of kids who grew up watching Sesame Street. This is hitting me pretty hard, as I loved these characters, and I've watched videos about the behind the scenes life on the show.

Thank You for your gentle nature and lessons
Rest In Peace Carroll

I was a little older- vintage 1961- but watched the wonderment that younger kids experienced with Big Bird and all his compadres- don’t even have to think to hear the tune- Can you tell me how to get? How to get to Sesame Street?

I have long wondered, and now more than ever, how he operated the mouth in the Big Bird costume. Anyone know? Yes I am too lazy to Google it on my own.

big-bird-animated-slow.gif

Never would have guessed that in a million years. Now I need to go watch some video to look at the hands.

Damn those guys were clever.

I found Big Bird segments to be so-so, but Oscar the Grouch too? The newsfeed I read about this didn't mention he also did Oscar the Grouch! I liked Oscar because he taught just how grumpy one can be without crossing the line. That's what I got anyway. It's good to know your limits. He also made metal garbage cans a fun thing.

Back