Richter Recker flights

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry

Reaction score
Well I flew my RR this afternoon in its skivvies. Its primered but not painted.
First flight was on three D12-3s. This was my first triple cluster. My very first cluster rocket is my DW. Anyway it was way cool with three motors burning. Ejection was at apogee.
Larry

Second flight was less than perfect on a single F24.
The delay was a little long, but fired. The second chute for the bottom half of the rocket stayed in the tube. It lit sideways and snapped the fin off. Easy to repair beings its not painted. Frozen dirt does not give.

Great boost though!!!
Larry

Great pics Larry...

Were you trying to light 3 F24's or was the single planned..? Still looks to be goin pretty straight on the way up..

Thought about launching today but didn't get around to it.. next to no wind down here today......

I have a Richter Recker too and I am looking to launch it soon. This is a map of my launch site:

hslake_map.gif

The reason I posted this is I am wondering if it is large enough to hold a Richter Recker launch. There are no demensions, but taking that the baseball field is a high school field I think its around 150-200 feet to the wall, Field #1 is a full size soccer field and so is #2, #3, and #5, the other fields are smaller. The yellow circles indicate where lights are located. From that information you might be able to just estimate if it is okay. Also take into mind that the entire right side to the right of the softball fields is dense woods. Between field 3 and 4 is some trees, but they are not that tall. The woods, lights, and the trees are the hazards and the street that runs along the field on the bottom. When I do launch the Richter Recker I will have someone in the parking lot ready to stop traffic if it does drift, but because of the fields size and my cautiouness of not launching on a windy day I think I should be fine. That rocket would have drift quite far to get to the street. I will be launching either fromthe softball fields or Field #1, those are just the planned areas I might change my mind when I set up the pad.

My old launch site was much smaller maybe 1/4 the size of the big one and there was a small line of woods maybe 10 feet thick and then you were in somones backyard, the back was thick woods, and both sides were woods, I lost many rockets in trees there so the Richter Recker would not be good there, either it would get stuck in a tree or land on someones roof.

Originally posted by firemanup
Great pics Larry...

Were you trying to light 3 F24's or was the single planned..? Still looks to be goin pretty straight on the way up..

I am kind of curious as well. :D That sounds odd to purposely select only 1 motor for a flight in a 3-motor cluster. The beauty of it is that if indeed you only meant to use one motor, a ton of options just opened up for those of us that would like to burn some 24mm composites. I imagine the F24 was plenty to loft it high and away. To piggyback on firemanup's question, did you remember to plug the other 2 empty MMT tubes?

Well the real question is...does the Richter Recker have a parallel or triangular 3x24mm mount? If parallel (in a line) then yes, you could use the center motor tube and fly on a single motor, but you would be looking at some pretty serious assymetric thrust if it's a triangular (which I think it is) mount. The high length of the bird may counteract that with added stability but still...that would at least make a rather arcing flight.

Larry, great pix! (thanx for sending them to me!)

That F flight was great, but I *still* prefer the BP clusters :D

To answer one question, the RR uses a triangle of motors in its cluster. An inline cluster of 24mm would extend beyond the edge of the tube.

I'll let you show them how you did the F24 :)

jim

Ahh, am I correct in assuming that he is making use of one of your new products, Jim?

Larry,

Great pics of your flights, the dusky appearance really high;ighted theflames on both the BP and the AP motors.

I'll borrow a 3rd 24mm casing, and try a (3) F12 BlackJack cluster in my or my sons Richter Recker...

congrats...

Originally posted by jflis

I'll let you show them how you did the F24 :)

jim

Ok Jim...now that's not nice! Now I get to spend the next few hours/days wondering if he'll ever fess up! Now I'm curious! I think marv might be onto something though. Time to research FlisKits.com.... ;)

OK, I'll give you one picture, but that's all you'll get for now. I have more testing to do.

Johnnierkt, The triple F-12s will put it up there a ways, but would be way cool with all the black smoke:)

marvSRG, no its not one of Jims new products, but he has some new cool stuff.

Jim, thanks for the tips on the chute deal and the single motor info. Also for the great kit.( meaning the RR)

Gladiator,It really doesn't require a large field if there is almost no wind like it was here today. The first flight ended up with-in 100 feet of the pad. It does come down in two sections. A large field is preffered.

I do like the cluster of three BP motors. Its a different sound, and wanted to try E motors, but knew I was pressed for time. So I chose first flight with Ds and then the single motor flight.

The RR is a great cluster motor kit. I just wanted to explore some different options.

Does this picture answer some questions, or raise some more????

:D :D :D :D Larry

Larry,
That does answer the question of mounting a single motor in a three motor triangular cluster....it's not a cluster! Here are my guesses: a second booster section with a single 24mm, or interchangeable motor mounts (that's what I meant by the new fliskits products....the interchangeable motor mounts). Very cool! Oh, did I guess right??

Back