Rich's GLR Nuclear Sledgehammer...continuation of original build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hijack your thread. Where did you get the aerotech Apollo motor case? Nice build also

Did some vinyl work last night. The vinyl I believe was done by Scott Binder "way back in the day" so to speak as the kit was started 12 years ago by Brett. I am almost ready for a all up assembly, weight, and CG check. I love the design of this rocket and plan to down scale it to LPR, MPR as well as a 4" and 5.5" (original by Brett was 5.5" as seen in last photo).20190531_082328.jpeg20190531_082250.jpeg20190531_082456.jpeg20190530_212930.jpegtapatalk_1549238473270.jpeg

Excellent job Rich. I can't wait to see it fly at Sod Blaster 2. The original Sledgehammer has several areas of paint flaking off. I need to sort that out soon. Any suggestions?

4ea1m72.jpg

Brett told me it hit power lines on his last flight.

Closest color I have seen to that color in a rattle can is the one I used on the tailcone of the big Sledge, its a Rustoleum Metallic (still have some left if you want to check it out). The nose cone of yours looks to be as much a paint bonding issue as well as the impact with the powerline. Another option is to see if Scott Binder still has the original graphics files (based on the box my vinyl was in Scott did the original vinyl for our rockets) for the rocket, get some new vinyl and repaint.

There's definitely a paint bonding issue on the nosecone. I think I will flood the edges of the peeling paint with thin CA to reattach any loose paint. I'll check out the paint you used. Close enough is good enough to me for now. I still have the sawhorse I meant to drop off at your house. I'll text you.

There's definitely a paint bonding issue on the nosecone. I think I will flood the edges of the peeling paint with thin CA to reattach any loose paint. I'll check out the paint you used. Close enough is good enough to me for now. I still have the sawhorse I meant to drop off at your house. I'll text you.
Ok and I sent a Messenger to Scott to see if he still has the artwork files.

You are inspiring me start my build again.
When you get yours done and flown it will be only the 5th or 6th of the 11 kits flown. If you haven't already installed the MMT I would highly recommend upsizing it from 75mm to 98mm ( unless mine was an oddball at 75mm of course).

That is a beautiful beast. Agree about the design; it should look great at any size.
And it flies GREAT! I hope to send the original up on a K3-500 something or other at Sod Blaster 2. Around 3,200-3,600' altitude on a motor in that range according to ThrustCurve.

So who is up for a 12" upscale? :)

And it flies GREAT! I hope to send the original up on a K3-500 something or other at Sod Blaster 2. Around 3,200-3,600' altitude on a motor in that range according to ThrustCurve.

So who is up for a 12" upscale? :)
I plan on building a full family of them from BT50 to 7.5" eventually. I like the shorter nosecone of the original 5.5" version the best due to its slightly blunted tip.

By the way Rich, I have a rocket for you. I'll never finish it and I know it's one you would love:D:)

I am almost ready for a all up assembly, weight, and CG check. I love the design of this rocket and plan to down scale it to LPR, MPR as well as a 4" and 5.5" (original by Brett was 5.5" as seen in last photo).

Rich,
Awesome looking bird - congrats!

That is a beautiful beast. Agree about the design; it should look great at any size.

Neil,

I'll bet you a 6-pack of your favorite beverage that you can improve on this design by downscaling to 18/24 MMT, and adding funky curved balsa fin rings between the two fin sets.

BT-80 tube is 33.6% down on the original, and I have a few extra NC-80 nose cones sitting lonely, looking for a rocket...

...what do you say?

a

Neil,

I'll bet you a 6-pack of your favorite beverage that you can improve on this design by downscaling to 18/24 MMT, and adding funky curved balsa fin rings between the two fin sets.

BT-80 tube is 33.6% down on the original, and I have a few extra NC-80 nose cones sitting lonely, looking for a rocket...

...what do you say?
Hmm, I'm not so sure about *improving* it, per se, but it could be fun to use as a starting point for experimentation. Anyone have a sim file for this to get me started? Don't worry, I will take this activity to a different thread and not clutter this one.

Did a bit of work on the beast today, its down to just over 30 days till maiden flight. Pretty much its finishing up a few minor bits, touching up the nosecone, and ground testing. Today was last of the time consuming minor bits, changing one of the RRC2 Extreme 25K version C altimeters to my tried and true Missleworks RRC3 Extreme that has flown on everyone of my cert rockets levels 1-3. The change out was a bit more than just drilling 3 new holes (one of the original holes was reused) and hooking the thing back up. Due to the original builder fitting all the wires very precisely (and very neatly) it was necessary to replace the output wires to the bulkhead terminal blocks with longer wires. Then it was time to test the altimeters to verify they were working properly, enter snag one! The RRC3 was not wanting to act properly when tested in the vacuum chamber (FoodSaver square marinating bowl), the tube assembled section of the bay fits in the bowl. So it was off to the computer with the RRC3 (RRC2 tested out fine) eventually I just reset the the altimeter to default settings and that seemed to fix the issue as the next 3 tests worked properly. My method of testing is to put the altimeter inside the Foodsaver marinating bowl complete and switched on using incandescent christmas tree bulbs in place of the ematches, pull a vacuum, remove the vacuum hose and watch for the lights to flash. The alt tested fine showing altitudes of 39k, 35k, and 25k. Then it was off to the store to pick up fresh 9 volts, I could have changed the bays to LiPo's but the Missleworks altimeters have always worked well for me with fresh 9v batteries, however changing the batteries to LiPo's would have made a already long process twice as long. Hopefully I can find time to ground test tomorrow and mess with the Rousetech CD3 systems that are installed in the rocket some.

GLRNuclearSledgehammer96.jpg GLRNuclearSledgehammer97.jpg GLRNuclearSledgehammer98.jpg GLRNuclearSledgehammer99.jpg GLRNuclearSledgehammer100.jpg

Ground testing today, the Rousetech CD3 system is definitely very quiet and used about .1gram of BP puncturing the cartridge. The drogue bay uses a 25gram cartridge and the main bay a 38gram cartridge. The nose cone was ejected with some force about 10' or about the half the length of the harness, as this rocket uses a freebag setup all the ejection has to really do is get the NC off and the pilot chute will do the rest. The NC uses four 2-56 shear pins. Drogue bay test was not as forceful but still enough to get separation, and it only uses two 2-56 shear pins. Max simmed acceleration is 6G's and the 2-56 pins are nearly perfectly sized for the rocket when calculated at 10G's.

Weather permitting the NucSledge maidens at SodBlaster 2019 aka SodBlaster II. The plan is to fly it Saturday afternoon August 31st. The M1550R reload is supposed to ship from AeroTech on the 22nd and will be delivered onsite the morning of the launch by the vendor, hooray!
Additional CO2 cartridges are arriving this next Tuesday from Leland Limited (a cartridge manufacturer).

Man, Rich, this beast sure looks good! I havent been on the forum in months, and it looks like I've missed a few nice posts and threads! Bummer I cant make it out next week to see her fly, but hopefully next year!

Weather permitting the NucSledge maidens at SodBlaster 2019 aka SodBlaster II. The plan is to fly it Saturday afternoon August 31st. The M1550R reload is supposed to ship from AeroTech on the 22nd and will be delivered onsite the morning of the launch by the vendor, hooray!
Additional CO2 cartridges are arriving this next Tuesday from Leland Limited (a cartridge manufacturer).
What are your thoughts on the C02 system in general? Do you find yourself hesitant to do your "normal" amount of ground testing do to the costs involved compared to BP? Kinda makes me wonder if that's what gives mixed reviews on C02 ejection systems overall?

Cost is $8.90 per 38g cartridge and $6.55 per 25g cartridge (one of each in this bird). The system is relatively quiet and clean (not much if any visible powder residue). Unlike BP the energy release is not as forceful, it does the job but not as violently. The smaller size cartridges are pretty negligible in cost at $1.05 per 16g and $2.35 per 12g cartridges, and no I did not get the 12 and 16 carts prices swapped, the 16's are less than half the price of the 12's. Most any bike shop carries the 16g, some (a few) carry 25g and 38gr. Leland Gas (Leland Limited?) sells the cartridges direct via their website using email, so far my only transaction with them went very smoothly.

In a rocket this size and cost the price of failure is far beyond the cost of ground testing several times, is it more expensive than BP, yes much more so. With this rocket using a free bag main deployment all that is required is getting the nose off, so blowing the nosecone 20' isn't necessary. Making sure the payload bays are well sealed is important.

So far I like this system, but lets wait until I get actual flight performance. One of the neat things is that any CO2 cartridge threaded 3/8-24 will work with it, I plan on fitting my SBR Thor with this system as the 16g cylinders are so "cheap".
What are your thoughts on the C02 system in general? Do you find yourself hesitant to do your "normal" amount of ground testing do to the costs involved compared to BP? Kinda makes me wonder if that's what gives mixed reviews on C02 ejection systems overall?

3/8" 24 threads explains it. I was thinking 1/2", they're even more$$$

Motor delivery has been confirmed, vendor has it in hand! Igniter tests successful, the BKNO3-V once the KNO3 was ground fine it should light dirt!

Thanks for the kind words @g.pitts hoping for some great video and photos from SodBlaster 2 on next Saturday!

Photos from igniter test video (captures) all in less than .7 seconds.
BKNO3VtestLessThanGram_Trim_Moment.jpg

BKNO3VtestLessThanGram_Trim_Moment(2).jpg

BKNO3VtestLessThanGram_Trim_Moment(3).jpg

BKNO3VtestLessThanGram_Trim_Moment(4).jpg

BKNO3VtestLessThanGram_Trim_Moment(5).jpg

Last edited:
Motor delivery has been confirmed, vendor has it in hand! Igniter tests successful, the BKNO3-V once the KNO3 was ground fine it should light dirt!

Thanks for the kind words @g.pitts hoping for some great video and photos from SodBlaster 2 on next Saturday!

Photos from igniter test video (captures) all in less than .7 seconds.
View attachment 391837

View attachment 391833

View attachment 391834

View attachment 391835

View attachment 391836

Good luck with the launch! And LOTS OF PHOTOS please. ;)

Back