Ric Ocasek RIP

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was fortunate enough to see them several times...first was at the Cap Center Largo MD 1979 when Candy O came out.
The preceding years of granola rock and disco were giving way to New Wave,
I was sitting there looking at these guys, weird sounds and vocals......it was like a band from another planet.
Greg Hawkes had a Monogram Space Shuttle model box sitting on his synthesizers...I thought that was really nerdy cool.

Last edited:
I met Ric on multiple occasions. I got to have a nice conversation with him about songwriting while working on the film Her Alibi. Great guy, down to earth. One of the few superstars to come out of Maryland. Sad.

I loved the quirky videos that he did for the album "Heartbeat City"

RIP Ric

I met Ric on multiple occasions. I got to have a nice conversation with him about songwriting while working on the film Her Alibi. Great guy, down to earth. One of the few superstars to come out of Maryland. Sad.

Pretty darn cool.
Ocasek sounds like he was a humble guy as well..as posted :
At one point, Ocasek, who sang about half the songs he wrote for the Cars, was asked how vocals were divided between the two lead singers.
"That's easy," he replied. "Whenever I wrote something that called for a real singer, we just gave it to Ben."

Elliott Easton did the lead guitar and had some great guitar riffs on a lot of his songs.
Great band in the day.

I spun my copy of Candy O on my Technics turntable today....sad, didn't realize he was 75.

Pretty darn cool.
Ocasek sounds like he was a humble guy as well..as posted :
At one point, Ocasek, who sang about half the songs he wrote for the Cars, was asked how vocals were divided between the two lead singers.
"That's easy," he replied. "Whenever I wrote something that called for a real singer, we just gave it to Ben."

Elliott Easton did the lead guitar and had some great guitar riffs on a lot of his songs.
Great band in the day.

One of my all time favorite guitar players. I guess he never really got recognized as a monster guitarist because he was in a (basically) pop band.

I spun my copy of Candy O on my Technics turntable today....sad, didn't realize he was 75.
Candy O.....I had to spin my copy of the album in iTunes......my Technics good days are behind it...this was my favorite track on that one.
With the requisite Elliot Easton guitar break at 1:55 and some nice Synth accompaniment by Greg Hawkes.

A bit of Trivia from Wiki:
The album cover was painted by artist Alberto Vargas, who was known for his paintings of pin-up girls that appeared in Esquire and Playboy magazines in the 1940s through the 1960s. The idea to hire Vargas came from drummer David Robinson, the band's artistic director and a collector of pin-ups. The 83-year-old Vargas had retired several years earlier but was persuaded to take the assignment by his niece, who was a fan of the Cars. The painting, depicting a woman sprawled across the hood of a Ferrari 365 GTC was based on a photo shoot directed by Robinson at a Ferrari dealership. The model, coincidentally named Candy Moore (famous for having played Lucille Ball's onscreen daughter on The Lucy Show), briefly dated Robinson afterward.

Last edited:
I have the self titled The Cars, Candy-O and Heartbeat City on...VINYL! Great music to listen to during my early "Becoming an adult " years.

Back