Rhode Island Model Rocketeeers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRiJoe

Reaction score
John O' Coonor and I are trying to turn NAR section #600 ,The Rhode Island Aviation and Space Education Council , into a club that actually flies and meets on a regularly scheduled basis. I'd like to encourage all Rhode Island model rocketers to consider joining RIASE. As a starter, does anyone in Rhode Island fly at a field that they have actually received permission from the owner?

Hey BigRIJoe,

I wish you well in your endeavours. I know there are many CMASS and CATO members who live close enough to Rhode Island and would take on a dual membership to support a revitalized club. The Maine Missile Math & Science Club just started in mid-2011 and has quite a turnout with many members from the northern folks of CMASS and Maine Tripoli. Two big advantages MMMSClub has are 1) a friendly sod farmer who lets us use his field for no rent and B) pretty clear airspace that lets us fly stuff to utilize the big field.

I know RI has sod farms. It's just a matter of finding that friendly farmer. CMASS uses municipal parks in the three towns/cities we fly in. They cost rent but we can make up a schedule at the begining of the year and stick to it pretty well.

I will keep an eye on this thread and hope to be flying with you sometime soon.

I will keep an eye on this thread and hope to be flying with you sometime soon.

You will earn your "I-95 Envoy" title in spades if you keep this up! I look forward to launching with you down at South of the Border!

On a serious note, I would head down for a RI launch. If there were three active clubs within striking distance for me, my odds for having a free weekend launch day would increase by 50%, not bad.

A few years back when I was on the BOD with CATO we looked for HPR fields in Rhode Island but to no avail. We had a member from RI who also was trying to lay in some ground work and was not greeted with smiles and handshakes. It seemed that since the great 'Nightclub Fire' of some years past the Fire Marshall in Rhode Island was never going to allow HPR while he was in power. If I remember correctly there was even some noise about model rocketry as well. I think it was pyrotechnic devices gone bad that was determined to be the cause of the fire compounded by overcrowding, bad egress, etc... Everyone at the time was in "Cover your butt" mode so they made it fairly clear to us that it wasn't going to happen.

Hopefully they've gotten over this phobia and have reconsidered their position on rocketry. Being from Long Island, I know the pain of traveling I-95 to a decent flying field. Durham, CT was a 2 hour trip for me on a good day for low/mid power, Sterling, CT for HPR to a "J" was 2 1/2 hours, Metra was a 2 hour and MDRA was a 5 hour trip. I envy you guys with the 'local' clubs, but hey I had some really quality time with my daughter back then. Good luck with the search and let us know how you make out.

Tom

So now I'll have 5 clubs within driving distance? Cool.

<Buzzkill>

As Tom said, we explored this in depth a few years back. As he noted it was a continuous litany of "The Station fire makes us too conservative for this". I even patiently explained we had no intention of flying rockets indoors.

Another issue that needs to be overcome is a basic tenet of RI state law. Everything there is tied to the MRSC that was in existence when a D motor was big. There is no provision for any larger motors and you have to get local fire marshal buy in to any rocket launch - period. At least that was the story a few years ago.

A few locations I looked at were a Sod farm in West Greenwich, and the Quonset Point NAS. The Sod farmer was not interested at the time and there was issues with air traffic into Groton-New London. Quonset Point never responded.

</buzzkill>

That said, if things have changed and CATO can help in any way, please reach out.

Rhode Island Rocketeers .......we are go for Launch!!

Thaw out your rocket gear because we are a go for launch of our first inaugural Model Rocket Launch on this Saturday (March 22, 2014 @ 10 am) of the newly formed Rhode Island Model Rocket Association (RIMRA / NAR 755)!!!!!!

We have also launch our website, which is still under development. We will post additional information on this launch, future launches and other activities this week. The website will be a interactive and information will be updated bi-weekly. I am sure we have some glitches and errors that have eluded use so feel free to let us know.
Check it out https://www.rimra.org

This endeavor was the a result of the hard work of Jeff Oppold, John O&#8217;Connor and Ray DiPaola, along with the support of URI, Peckham Farm, CATO and many others, major props to them!!

CATO Club https://www.catorockets.org is supporting our launch providing equipment and logistical support, big round of applause. We also have MMMSC https://mmmsclub.org jetting down from Maine to join the festivities. To them this is going to be like going to Florida, they will be the ones with shorts on. Thanks for the support Mainers!

The launch site is the turf field off Peckham Farm Rd. in Kingston, RI. It is off Rt. 138 and across the street from the URI Ryan Center. Launch information and directions are located here https://www.rimra.org/launch-site/

Please read the launch Protocol https://www.rimra.org/launch-site/launch-protocol/. This site was obtained by the permission of University of Rhode Island (Landowner) and the Turf farmer that operates on the site. Recognize we are guest and leave them with a good impression so we can use this site long into the future.

This launch is free but we love to have you as a member you can sign up at the Launch site: https://www.rimra.org/become-a-member/

Hang on to you fins, rocketeers here we go!!!!!

Back