RF Approved: Starblazer X-20 Kit - 4x Upscaled - Interest Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Everyone! Work has been continuing on Starblazer X-20 4x Upscale Kit#2, The canopy has been a little problematic and iterative testing turn around takes about a week with each test build, so new lessons have been learned.

About 3 weeks ago, decided to take a totally different approach to it. We're going to 3D print it! We can keep the weight down of the part to approx 130grams... which is actually lighter than the laser plywood version. Also decided to design the part in openSCAD, so builders can make easy programmatic script adjustments to the canopy design and generate their own custom STL part file. Plus the scad code currently uses original stock measurements, then applies a 4x upscale variable, tunable body tube variables. Script also provides several customization options in addition stock design with internal heat exhaust, a simplified version, and various internal small camera mounts for a cockpit POV flight. Pop in a mobius, gopro or runcam and imagine yourself piloting it.

Currently the canopy test parts are in simple PLA, which will not be used for production. Production parts, once finalized, will be in annealed PET-G or other superior heat resistant material.

Hi Everyone! Work has been continuing on Starblazer X-20 4x Upscale Kit#2, The canopy has been a little problematic and iterative testing turn around takes about a week with each test build, so new lessons have been learned.
Awesomeness! I was just reading the last posts on this and wondering if the project had been canceled. Glad to hear it's still a go!!
- Mark

About 3 weeks ago, decided to take a totally different approach to it. We're going to 3D print it! We can keep the weight down of the part to approx 130grams... which is actually lighter than the laser plywood version. Also decided to design the part in openSCAD, so builders can make easy programmatic script adjustments to the canopy design and generate their own custom STL part file. Plus the scad code currently uses original stock measurements, then applies a 4x upscale variable, tunable body tube variables. Script also provides several customization options in addition stock design with internal heat exhaust, a simplified version, and various internal small camera mounts for a cockpit POV flight. Pop in a mobius, gopro or runcam and imagine yourself piloting it.

Currently the canopy test parts are in simple PLA, which will not be used for production. Production parts, once finalized, will be in annealed PET-G or other superior heat resistant material.

List updated,
The PETG canopy is good. Going to simulate the X-20 setting in the sun, and high ambient heat, like its sitting on a launch pad for 4 hrs.

For those with 3D printers, the OPENSCAD code for the canopy includes modules now for various cameras to be inserted into the canopy, like Mobius action cameras, GoPROs.

Good morning. Hope you are well. Where are we on the shipping of this kit? I know you haven't reached the number of people that needed it to preorder, so what is your plan going forward? Thanks, have a great weekend. Greg Olson

Put me on the list - I love SF kits but haven't done an HP version yet. Built Interceptor/Odyssey/Andromeda/Atlantis as a kid.

Cheers / Robert

Bump. How about an answer, there has not been an update since Jan. 2020. Are you still hoping to put out this kit? Happy Holidays. Greg Olson

Just found this thread. I did a 4" scratch up-scale about 7-8 years ago for my L2 flight. Went off without a hitch. S glass fins, Phenolic tubes, Plastic NC, Polished aluminum boat tail (not scale to the original but looked sooo cool!). I did the canopy much like the original only instead of folded card stock the sections were cut from 1/32" thick G10 sheet, temporarily taped together on the outside and glass/epoxy taped on the inside. Then the outer tape was removed. Stickershock did the vinyl (in fact it's my bird on his web page) been flying it exclusively on an AT J350. Flights are around 2600'. Duel deploy with an old (very) Adept 125alt.

11_04_09_10_56_00%20-%20IMG_0721.jpg11_04_09_10_56_02%20-%20IMG_0725.jpg11_04_09_11_07_48%20-%20IMG_0796.jpgavitar.jpg101_1324.JPG29497286_10104246479991866_4665669469197966370_n.jpg

Sorry, Not trying to hijack the thread; Merely illustrating the project is doable, Flies great and I too would love to see the kit come to fruit.

I wanted one - not my fave but a nice offbeat and complicated HP upscale. Large projects are tough and I wish him the best. Would like to see it fly at least.

Cheers / Robert

Out of my budget, but I really want to see one of these fly. Putting this post here as a bump.

Back