RF Approved: Starblazer X-20 Kit - 4x Upscaled - Interest Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nabooengineer

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Do you remember getting that 1980 catalog? I sure do and immediately thought this is a very different catalog. As such, several kits from 1980 were added to my must builds. The one exotic sci-fi kit that really caught my eye that year, was the Starblazer X-20. I still have the model I built and flew in 1980! The design was fantastic with the larger payload tube than the exposed engine MMT, a folded cardboard paper cockpit, decals for days and those swept T style rear fins with rails on top.

Unlike some of the other exciting new kits that year, the Starblazer X-20 looked sturdy, industrial and realistic in my mind. It didn’t seem to be cartoonish as the others on that page, nor as delicate as the two movie inspired “Probes” on the opposite page. The more I studied that image on page 35, it appeared sturdy enough that you could launch it, retrieve it and launch again with out having to do field repairs and I was right. My Starblazer X-20 never had a single issue in all the times I flew it.

It looked great with that striking yellow, white and blue paint scheme. Not to mention all those water decals simulating placards and ports everywhere. The Starblazer X-20 was just stunning whether on the launch pad or on display hanging from fishing line from my room ceiling. It was the first model I could actually imagine jumping in to the pilot seat, closing that canopy and flying off in. It was long, lean and had those robust fins, plus it could do 8,000 M.P.H.!!! (Well that’s what the catalog said.)

Sadly it was only available in 1980/1981 and I never saw another one available in original kit form.

Nearly 40 years later I really want to see a modern day upscale kit version of that classic bird fly again!

We’re proud to announce that the Starblazer X-20 is going to be our next limited run kit #2 for builders only available here on RF. Our reimagining of this rare classic kit has been upscaled to a 4 inch (101mm) main body tube! It is massive and sturdy just like the original. It even has a simulated motor retaining ring and 6mm thick TTW fin construction.

We learned that RF builders like building and so do we! It is no simple 3FNC upscale, it has 11 TTW fins, even the T fins, while quite large are 10.5 inches in length, interlock with the main fins. The T-fins have that wonderful landing rail on the outside. The Starblazer X-20 is still a skill level 3 kit even with all precise laser cut parts, slots, and holes. However it is engineered to go together accurately, quickly and easily. The canopy has been upscaled in more than just size, and is no longer folded and cut card stock and is made of laser cut 3mm baltic birch plywood, again with interlocking pieces which securely attaches to the booster body tube via an internal TTW structure. You can’t imagine how much work went into recreating a robust version of that paper canopy that can be assembled and shipped. It is going to take a little effort for you to assemble and finish. With a little work you can even use it as a housing for a couple digital cameras and transmitters. Realtime FPV rocketry anyone?

This kit is designed around a 54mm MMT with a 54mm CNC machined anodized aluminum motor retainer. For those wanting wider motor choice, the kit also and includes a 38mm MMT adapter along with a 38mm CNC machined anodized aluminum motor retainer. This give us the ability to use motors from H130 to K500 range. The upscale model is available now on thrustcurve.org so that you can start determining what motors your going to fly once you complete it.

Just keep in mind, these fins while quite robust are square edged like the original kit and large. If you push the speed to far, well thats on you. The 1980 catalog said 8,000 M.P.H., not us.

Recovery will be a 24 inch drogue (limited to orange, yellow or blue) and 58 inch main parachute, that will be either orange or yellow in color, and includes two 15” octagon nomex blankets, as well as nomex harness protectors. The shock cords are 18 ft x 5/8 tubular nylon with sewn in loops. For those doing dual deploy, it includes the 4 inch x 8 inch long avionics electronics bay kit & sled.

We’re excited about this kit and the manufacturers partnering with us again! Keep in mind this is a complete and robust kit, that when finished is over 2 meters in length (6.7 ft tall), with an expected dry weight above 2.5 kg (88oz or 5.5lbs)

This is going to start out as an interest thread only here on RF. If we can get 25 RF builders to commit to the Starblazer X-20 Kit #2, the run will proceed and those on the list will be sent a PayPal invoice. Our goal is to have them all shipped by 21st of October.

As we get the finalized parts in, we’ll post pictures and update the information here.

— StarBlazer X-20 Specifications —
Length: 81.5 inches (2070 mm)
Dry Weight: 88oz (2494.76 g)
Diameter:4 In (101.6 mm)
Fin Span: 18.4 in (467.36 mm)
Fin Count: 11 Laser Cut 6mm Aircraft Baltic Birch TTW, mid-engine & mains fins fin-lock into MMT, while the three T fins lock to the main fin notches.
Canopy is 3mm birch plywood with a unique mounting.

Nose Length to shoulder is 16.25 in. (412.75mm)
Diameter 4.0 in (101.6mm)
Overall NC Length 20.25 in. (514.35mm)
Shoulder Length 4in. (101.6mm)
NC Material Heavy Duty Polypropylene blow molded

Motor Size: 54mm MMT x 584.2 Length
54mm CNC machined and anodized aluminum motor retainer
Kit also includes a 38mm adapter with 38mm CNC machined and anodized aluminum motor retainer (yes you get both 54mm & 38mm)

Recovery System:
Drogue chute is 24in. (609mm) limited to either orange, yellow or blue colors
Main parachute is 60 in. (1524 mm) and orange and white panels, rip stop with spill hole.
Both parachutes are coated ripstop nylon with spill hole with 9/0 Swivels (swivel rated for 900 lbs/ 408.2 kg)
4 in. (101mm) Electronics Bay for Dual Deploy, or can be used single motor deploy
10 Push-In Rivets (5 Black)
M2 Tap & 10 x M2 Shear Pins
18 ft. x .625 in. ( 5486.4mm x 15.875mm) Tubular Nylon Shock Cords with sewn loop ends (Includes 2 shock cords)
3 ft x .375 in. (914 mm x 9.52mm) Y Harness - Nylon Webbing with sewn loop ends that quick link to internal eyebolts on the front 6mm thick centering ring.
.1875 in. (4.76mm) Quick Links (Qty 6, yes now 6) rated for 600 lbs./ 272.1 kg each
2 x 15 in. Nomex blankets custom made for the Drogue & Main Chute
2 x Nomex Shock Cord protectors
1010 Delrin Rail buttons with included narrow Weld Nuts for HPR RAIL & a laser cut standoff for the rear rail button.
High quality and superbly color printed and cut vinyl decals to give us the best appearance possible.

PLEASE READ:
This kit does not include electronics, wiring, glues, paint, deployment blast cups or rocket motors.

Cost of the kit will be $289 USD for USA addresses and $399 USD for rest of the world (ROW) addresses.

Price includes USPS Priority shipping to your PayPal shipping address.

We save about $186.00 per kit vs. piecing out the kit individually.

This run will be limited to a total of 30 kits.

If you are interested in this run, and want to get your name on the run list to reserve a spot, post a message in this thread and pm me your email address, your PayPal address, and please make sure your PayPall address is correct.

If you want more than one kit, your RF handle name will be list for that number of slots..

Once we reach 25 commitments, I will place the orders with the various respective manufacturers. Then we’ll notify everyone that the run is a go and will send a PayPal invoice to those builders on this list. Status will be changed to reflect invoiced. Payment will be expected within 7 days once the invoice is sent. Once PP invoice is received, status will reflect Invoiced, and once paid, will reflect Paid and a date. We’ll log kitting progress with images and status of orders here in this thread.

The goal is to have all the kits shipped by 21th October, assuming we receive enough interest in the run.

20-Oct Update: target shipping date is delayed to be determine, still working on the prototype parts, specifically the canopy.

Last edited:
— Run Participant List : Last Updated on 27-Feb-2020 —

Rocketry Forum Handle, Date, Location, Status
  1. Scott Hala, 19-Sep-2019 - USA - Reserved
  2. ghostfather, 19-Sep-2019 - USA - Reserved
  3. nabooengineer, 19-Sep-2019 - USA - Reserved
  4. Buckaroo, 19-Sep-2019 - USA - Reserved
  5. Buckaroo, 19-Sep-2019 - USA - Reserved
  6. OKTurbo, 19-Sep-2019 - USA - Reserved
  7. mrtriton, 19-Sep-2019 - USA - Reserved
  8. mjhall, 20-Sep-2019 - USA - Reserved
  9. Dander, 21-Sep-2019 - USA - Reserved
  10. Kai, 21-Sep-2019 - USA - Reserved
  11. alexzogh, 1-Oct-2019 - USA - Reserved
  12. ThePlmbr, 4-Oct-2019 - USA - Reserved
  13. lawndartman, 14-Feb-2020 - USA - Reserved
  14. nabooengineer, 14-Feb-2020 - USA - Reserved
  15. sandeja, 24-Feb-2020 - USA - Reserved
  16. Lawndart, 26-Feb-2020 - USA - Reserved
  17. Available
  18. Available
  19. Available
  20. Available
  21. Available
  22. Available
  23. AstroChuck, 19-Sep-2019 - USA - Reserved
  24. Available
  25. Available << Once a name is here the run will be a go!
  26. Available
  27. Available
  28. Available
  29. Available
  30. Available

Wait List
  1. Available
  2. Available

— FAQ —
Q1: When will the Starblazer X-20 Kit ship?
A1: The sooner we hit 25 commitments, we’ll do the final order. If so, we expect kits to ship by October 21th 2019.

Q2: Can we have the plans or RockSim files to do our own kit bash?
A2: Absolutely! We are going to release the final RockSim files as soon as we begin shipping the kits. It will be posted in the following post, along with the assembly recommendations document with photos.

Q3: Can we change this to be only 38mm MMT and save about $30?
A3: We have to order a minimum of 25 motor retainers of each size to make the numbers work. So the kit will be a 54mm MMT and every kit will come with a 38mm adapter with retainers for both included. The 38mm adapter can be installed permanently.

Q4: Why do a custom kit run, just make your own one-off upscale?
A4: We love the original #1342 kit and our rocketry community friends. It also allows us to explore our new business model cost effectively. Plus everyone saves about $186.00 USD.

Q5: I don’t need the electronics bay, can I delete that and save money?
A5: Sorry, we can not, the key is to do quantity pricing.

Q6: Can we order 2 or more kits?
A7: Absolutely! We'll place your name on the list for the number of kits you would like reserved. However we'll only send you a single PayPal invoice for the number of kits you committed for.

Q7: Is t this just an upscale clone?
A7: No, we are re-designing everything to make this a fun to build kit, while having a “close as possible” profile to the original. These bigger kits require some adjusted design consideration for shipping issues, especially this one.

Q8: Can you ship to an international shipping aggregator in the USA to save on shipping?
A8: Yes, we highly recommend this option, as long as that aggregator address is your PayPal shipping address at the time of invoicing.

Q9: Can we do this kit in fiberglass?
A9: Your obviously free to laminate it in fiberglass. Maybe on a future kit run model we can do fiberglass or other composite tube, assuming this business model works for those manufacturers as well.

Q10: What if you do not get 25 commitments for the Starblazer X-20 kit?
A10: We simply don’t proceed with the Starblazer kit run and move on to the next proposed kit. No invoices or money will be collected till we get to 25.

Q11: What is the 38mm MMT adapter?
A11: It’s a 38mm MMT, 6mm centering rings, a rear 54mm thrust ring, with a custom 38mm CNC aluminum 2 part motor retainer as well.

Last edited:
Got everyone down to here so far... only 15 more to this run is a go.

Main parachute is now a 60 inch (1524mm), orange and white panels coated ripstop, with spill hole.

BTW did I mention that the hybrid decal sheet is 5 square feet?

Last edited:
I must admit, I was very nervous ordering your Cherokee kit, but I was very pleased with the whole experience. The kit, shipping, payment, everything was first class. It would be a pleasure doing business with you again. Yes, sign me up for one, anticipation has already started!

I must admit, I was very nervous ordering your Cherokee kit, but I was very pleased with the whole experience. The kit, shipping, payment, everything was first class. It would be a pleasure doing business with you again. Yes, sign me up for one, anticipation has already started!

Thank you for the kind words and for participating in the Cherokee-G run and now this one Kai! You have kit 10 reserved.

Only 14 more, then the run is a go!

Last edited:
Thanks Alex, got your kit reserved... see PM when you get a chance.

Only 13 more commitments needed to green light the run.

Quick update on the prototype. We have finalized the hybrid decal set, approximately 5 square feet and have received the final set from Mark.

We’re making a few little refinements to a few components such as moving mid fin slots 6mm forward, adjusting the t-fin “stabilizers” profile, and the canopy.

The various centerIng rings are now labeled by laser to help with correct identification. We hope to have everything finalized this week, however all involved want the kit the best it can be.

Assembly recommendations document is in process.

We are still on track for a 21-Oct ship date.

Here is a pic of the majority of the custom kit pieces with the finalized decal sheets, along with my original Starblazer X-20, built in 1980, that is nearly 40 years old.

Last edited:
If I might, what's the status of this kit?

Just a few days left until the original projected ship date. Will this be dropped or extended a little longer? I was really looking forward to this one.

If the group buy doesn't happen, would there still be one off parts available? I can scratch build, but laser cut fins etc sure would be nice.

Thanks,
John

Hi everyone, quick update, we are still working on the canopy assembly and waiting on the new laser cut prototype parts. So clearly not hitting the 21-Oct ship date, Plus the fine folks doing the custom part manufacturing is fitting us in between their bread and butter orders and we are very grateful they are, otherwise this run wouldn’t happen.

As for the shipping cost to ROW, This kit is going to be heavy and bulky box, plus We don’t control international shipping charges, not to mention we also need to do customs forms. If you have ever done large shipping runs you know it’s also not just about weight. If you are not in the US, to save on shipping, please consider using a a US based shipping aggregator.

As for the subsidizing shipping, the goal is not to make any money on the shipping, nor loose, but to make it efficient to be able to do the kit.

Just a few days left until the original projected ship date. Will this be dropped or extended a little longer? I was really looking forward to this one.

If the group buy doesn't happen, would there still be one off parts available? I can scratch build, but laser cut fins etc sure would be nice.

Thanks,
John

Hi John, Will look into that possibility if we don’t meet the 25. Right now we haven’t really considered an interest cut off date, since we are still refining the parts. Once all the part designs are finalized, we post the pics of the final parts, we’ll look at a go-no go date.

Last edited:
Since this is a relative expensive kit. We could drop the 38mm and reduce costs by $30. The downside is doing limited number off 38mm adapters, is since we wouldn’t hit the quantity cost savings it would increase cost for those wanting the 38mm adapter kits. I would have to go back and figure that out.

Thoughts?

Hi everyone, quick update, we are still working on the canopy assembly and waiting on the new laser cut prototype parts. So clearly not hitting the 21-Oct ship date, Plus the fine folks doing the custom part manufacturing is fitting us in between their bread and butter orders and we are very grateful they are, otherwise this run wouldn’t happen.

As for the shipping cost to ROW, This kit is going to be heavy and bulky box, plus We don’t control international shipping charges, not to mention we also need to do customs forms. If you have ever done large shipping runs you know it’s also not just about weight. If you are not in the US, to save on shipping, please consider using a a US based shipping aggregator.

As for the subsidizing shipping, the goal is not to make any money on the shipping, nor loose, but to make it efficient to be able to do the kit.

Great news! Thanks for the update!!! - Mark

Hi everyone, quick update, we are still working on the canopy assembly and waiting on the new laser cut prototype parts. .

Have you considered using sheet styrene for the canopy?

I used that technique for a K&S upscale. For the original you were supposed to fold the card stock. I cut the styrene then glued it back together. I reinforced the joints internally with some epoxy. Glued to the tube, and final finish...

IMG_4282.jpg IMG_4386.jpg IMG_4514.jpg IMG_5196.jpg

Thanks for those pics. Yes even made a buck for vacuum forming. we’re trying to match the original cockpit shape, while having hard mount points via an internal structure and attachments.

Looks like this kit didn't get enough interest, which is unfortunate :(.
Any chance of posting the rocksim file, I can maybe scratch build my own version, though the canopy would be a challenge

Back