Revision to Tripoli Rule Regarding Wireless Remote Switches

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

dan__olson

Reaction score
I'm just wanting to give my GPS time to get a good fix. Maybe it's not as big of a deal as I am making it in my head, but I'd rather do that on "my time" rather than wasting everyone else's messing around up at the pad.

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just wanting to give my GPS time to get a good fix. Maybe it's not as big of a deal as I am making it in my head, but I'd rather do that on "my time" rather than wasting everyone else's messing around up at the pad.
Test the GPS on your table first to see how long it takes to lock. The first time in a new location can take longer. Then turn it off and back on to see how long it takes this time.

woferry

Reaction score
Units like the TRS don't have an extra battery to keep the GPS data fresh, lock time doesn't vary on distance from the previous lock, it's starting fresh every time it's powered-up.

UhClem

Reaction score
Time to first fix for current "all in view" GPS receivers is about 30 seconds. Warm or cold. They lock onto the signal almost instantly and the 30 second delay is the time required to receive the ephemeris data which describes the satellites exact position.

If it takes longer than that, something is wrong.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
30 seconds is probably typical for the TRS, and for the TX too. The Mini can take awhile longer... the ground plane for the GPS antenna is less than optimal, you give up TFF because of that for the small size.

thomas

Reaction score
My first priority is to have a safe flight. If Tripoli rules, introduce a point which makes the flight unsafe, I am going to ignore the rule.

David Schwantz

Reaction score
There should be no difference in the safety of the flight. HQ is concerned about the safety to the point of lift off.

Ez2cDave

Reaction score
My first priority is to have a safe flight. If Tripoli rules, introduce a point which makes the flight unsafe, I am going to ignore the rule.
I agree, but it all boils down to what the RSO says.

Voyager1

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
If you fly with a Tripoli club, then I think the RSO and LCO might have a different opinion. Deliberately ignoring a rule is not clever. Just remember who pays the insurance to cover your hobby. As David points out, the flight is not affected.

mikec

Reaction score
While I have some sympathy for this reaction, you can't ignore rules and still fly with TRA and expect insurance coverage.

I continue to hope that the TRA BOD reconsiders their position, but I think we've exhausted the discussion on this forum.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering how long this would take to come back, now that we're all getting comfortable with the "new normal"...

Mike Haberer

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Anticipating the questions, I'm going to put together a document telling users how to "safe" the various Eggtimer altimeters and the WiFi Switch. It should be done in a day or two... I'll link to it at the top of the Eggtimer home page.
Did this ever get produced? Don't see it on the home page. Thanks.