3D Printing Review of a Tungsten Nozzle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Midwest Tungsten Nozzle

I have printed more and more abrasive filaments such as the ones with Carbon Fiber Metals. I have noticed that the nozzle wears much quicker and I lose detail over time. I tried several nozzles and this is my first review of one of them.

Tungsten is a very tough metal that holds heat well. It sends to very scratch resistant. For this reason, it might be an ideal nozzle material for 3d Printers.

There are two main manufacturers of these nozzles and this is the only one available on Amazon so it got the first trial.

Quality: 95/100. Perfect fit in the hotend. No leaking.
Print quality: 100/100. I could not notice a difference from the stock nozzle's prints.
Ease of use: 100/100 - Perfect.
Erosion resistance: 90/100. The nozzle is 4-5 times more expensive than the stock nozzle. I would expect to get 5 times the usage. A brass nozzle tends to begin to wear after 2-3 months of printing abrasives. This one started at a year.
Price: 92/100 - I paid $49.99. It is affordable especially when look at the ended use, but just a bit less than expected.

The bottom line: Worth the price. I would buy it again. The on thing I would say is that I prefer vanadium for the Mosquito and Tungsten for the V6, but more on that in a future review.

Link: Midwest Tungsten Nozzle

Last edited:
The Olsson Ruby nozzles aren't worth it. They break far to easily and are much more expensive than a hardened steel nozzle. At my school we broke two before giving up on them. We used a small torque "wrench" and it broke at the slightest resistance in a E3D V6 hotend. They are a 3 piece construction and the thinnest brass piece is less than 1mm thick and transfers all the torque when tightening.

Just idle curiosity, mostly. It makes sense to me they'd be pretty resilient, but I don't print enough to make any investment worthwhile.

I have a sapphire and ruby nozzle. I knew they were fragile at the start. In 3 months, I have not broken either nor have they had any erosion. I have not removed them from the printers. I did break the insulator to my mosquito. I just use it without.

I saw the title but not the 3D printing part and thought " that's gonna be heavier than graphite but should never wear out, even with sparkys"

I saw the title but not the 3D printing part and thought " that's gonna be heavier than graphite but should never wear out, even with sparkys"

I am not sure graphite would work - too brittle, heck it is worth a try. I emailed e3D..

I am not sure graphite would work - too brittle, heck it is worth a try. I emailed e3D..
I would assume graphite wouldn't be useful as an extruder nozzle, not so much because it's brittle, but that it doesn't conduct heat very well.

I use the 3D Solex ruby tips for printing CF filaments, but prefer their 3D Solex racing tips for most work because they clog less easily.
Will be looking into the tungsten tips, though. Thanks for the link

I would assume graphite wouldn't be useful as an extruder nozzle, not so much because it's brittle, but that it doesn't conduct heat very well.

I use the 3D Solex ruby tips for printing CF filaments, but prefer their 3D Solex racing tips for most work because they clog less easily.

I have looked at the diamond but will wait for knock off.

Back