3D Printing Review: Dragon Hotend

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
AN alternative to the e3D V6 and Mosquito.

The Dragon Hotend is relatively new to the market. Trianglelab has released this new product in January. This product appears to take features from both the E3D V6 and Mosquito Hotend and integrates them into a small and effective package. I have been using the standard model for several weeks on my MK3S and I am impressed.

The Dragon Hotend is a drop-in replacement for the E3D V6. The upgrade process was extremely easy. The only adjustment I had to do was redo the first layer calibration. The structure of the Dragon has increased structural rigidity and improved thermal performance.

The Dragon Hotend also takes some novel features from the Mosquito Hotend design. It uses 4 stainless steel tubes to connect the heat block to the heatsink. The thermal transfer is lowered and, like the Mosquito, one-handed nozzle changes are now a possibility. The rounded mount can allow the Hotend to spin, I added a small piece of high-temperature electrical tape to prevent this. The best part is that it seems to jam less than the e3d V6.

There is a high flow and standard flow version. Reportedly, the high flow is similar to the Volcano but with the same footprint as the V6. I cannot confirm this because I own the standard.

The bottom line: The Dragon Hotend is a pretty good product. I have been using it for 2 months and I would recommend it. If your printer can take the e3D V6, it will use this Hotend. The all-metal construction of the heat break creates good thermal performance while maintaining V6 compatibility. The Dragon is one of the best Hotends I own. It is not cheap by it worth every penny.

Amazon:

1. Dragon Standard Flow
  2. Dragon High Flow

I have been printing for over 2 months. I am installing a second. It takes about 9-10mm less PTFE tubing and seems to print as well as my mosquito.

I found it cheaper for 53.88 on Amazon.

I wanted to reply to my original email and post another link to purchase them.

You can also purchase the Dragon Hotend through AliExpress. I just ordered a backup.

I have had great success with Aliexpress. I never had an issue with them not arriving. I noticed today that they have several colors of this hotend. I have ordered Dragon in Black, Blue, and Red. I am not sure why I bought them in different colors. They are covered by the plastic of the Prusa design/casing.

Latest posts

Back