3D Printing Review Creality CR-10S Pro

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I own a Prusa MK3S and Ender-3. I love both, but need a larger printer to print a couple of projects for my hobby and club. I turned to the Creality CR-10S Pro. After setting up the ender-3, I was a little apprehensive.

CR-10S Pro is one of the new products in the Creality line up. It features a touch screen and a mostly metal construction. The best part is that Creality has turned to a Meanwell power supply and now has near automatic leveling.

Setup was a breeze. I even got octoprint installed without issue. My first print was effortless. So, I started a larger print 170 hours long. Arrogance got the best of me. I had a power outage and the printer would not restart. It appears that octoprint would not work well with Chromium. Start again and success.

I would rate this printer up near my Prusa in Quality. It is not as foolproof, but the print space makes up for it.

I have been concerned with power outages as well, even though the Prusa seems to recover from outages, I have found that it can result in a slight layer shift when it resumes. Because I have access to decommissioned APC SmartUPS 1500 I am going to pick up a new battery and use one on the printer.

When you guys talk about power outages, do you mean that your neighborhood lost power (a relatively rare occurrence) or a glitch in the power supply ( a hardware issue)?

I will clarify. My entire town lost power. I now have it on a battery back up.

I live in a suburb with buried utilities which seems to really help with reliability. But still we do have the occasional outage, typically just a minute or so from a close lightening strike. When I installed the Octoprint server I didn't pay much attention to the power recovery. But a few weeks later I was doing a long print and sure enough, a thunderstorm blew up and the power was knocked out for a few seconds. To my great surprise the server recovered and the print finished just fine. It's a great feature.

I am very interested to hear your thoughts on the CR10S Pro after a few more weeks. My Prusa runs very well, but has had a couple of minor issues. But like you, I would like a larger print area. I'm a bit put off by the Bowden extruder and the capacitive sensor but the price is right.

Thanks also for taking the time also on your powder coated beds.

Tony

Thanks. I'm in the market for a printer this summer. I'm thinking about the Ender because it's so affordable, but the size of the 10S Pro is also appealing. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something inherently wrong with the power supply.

Chuck, I've long looked at the 3D printer world...where would you recommend buying this from? Would you recommend the Prusa for a newbie above this or any others?

I think the biggest difference between the Prusa and CR-10S Pro is the ease of leveling. The Prusa does it nearly 100% on its own. The CR-10S Pro has auto-leveling but you first have to get the sensor adjusted. It is just a bit more finicky.

I have been printing for a month with the CR-10S Pro. It works. It takes a little more effort to get prints off the bed and the build plate is not flexible- similar to buildtak.

The Prusa has a live Z adjust that makes it easier to "dial in". I will always consider buying a prusa over all others.

Chuck, I've been long looking at the 3D printer world...where would you recommend buying this from? Would you recommend the Prusa for a newbie above this or any others?

I would always recommend a Prusa for new buyers. They are near idiot proof. If I can learn to use it, anyone can.

Back