Revell Saturn V 1/144 Conversion

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdud

Reaction score
Has anyone converted the Revell 1/144 Saturn V for flight? I saw one article on Essence's Rocket Reviews. Are there any other resources out there?

I did one over here. Seems to be in the 'always almost finished' category..It has flown once- central D12-7 and 4 C6-5's..I need to repair a broken fin, paint and decal it yet:rolleyes:

Yeap:
Mine flys on 3 D12-3s, Don's fly's on 5 C6-3's.

But these are not considered "Scale" the are PMC's Plastic Model Conversions. Not sure, but I believe this thread should be moved.

Thanks for the info. Do y'all think a single composite 24mm such as an E18 or F24 would work well on this rocket? Jon stated that his weighed in at about 14oz - which seems about right for these motors. I know everybody likes to fly these with clusters, but I would like to mount the four exterior F-1's and put the actual motor mount in the center. I'm also worried about melting the four F-1's???

But these are not considered "Scale" the are PMC's Plastic Model Conversions. Not sure, but I believe this thread should be moved.

I was not sure which discussion was best for this thread - please feel free to move it to the the appropriate discussion topic. :confused2:

Thanks for the info. Do y'all think a single composite 24mm such as an E18 or F24 would work well on this rocket? Jon stated that his weighed in at about 14oz - which seems about right for these motors. I know everybody likes to fly these with clusters, but I would like to mount the four exterior F-1's and put the actual motor mount in the center. I'm also worried about melting the four F-1's???

An Estes D12-3 is marginal with a properly balanced Monogram or Airfix Saturn V, and an Aerotech E15 is probably a tad bit too much. I think an Aerotech D13 RMS would be great in this rocket, and a D21 single use would be a nice flight as well.

I would be concerned about melting the outboard nozzles as well, but there are probably ways to mount the motors to mitigate that. And you'll have to remember to keep it up off of blast deflectors and such.

It is true that if we were talking what is legal for an NAR Contest “scale” event, a converted Plastic Model is not legal for that.

But, for non-contest purposes, this thread seems to fit in “scale” better than anywhere else on TRF. Since there is no Plastic Model forum. Sure better here than Mid-Power, or Watering Hole, and so forth.

Now, had there been an “Oddrocs” forum created to cover a WIDE range of unusual models beyond just Goonies (like holiday-themed rockets, flying Lighthouses, converted birdhouses, etc.), then maybe converted Plastic models might have had a place to go, there. Though “Scale” Plastic Models (of rocket vehicles) would always seem to fit more in Scale than anyplace else.

Edit - OK, I forgot about "scratch built". Then again, converting a non-flying scale model is not exactly "scratch" either, so Scale also would seem to be suitable.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
It is true that if we were talking what is legal for an NAR Contest “scale” event, a converted Plastic Model is not legal for that.

But, for non-contest purposes, this thread seems to fit in “scale” better than anywhere else on TRF. Since there is no Plastic Model forum. Sure better here than Mid-Power, or Watering Hole, and so forth.

Now, had there been an “Oddrocs” forum created to cover a WIDE range of unusual models beyond just Goonies (like holiday-themed rockets, flying Lighthouses, converted birdhouses, etc.), then maybe converted Plastic models might have had a place to go, there. Though “Scale” Plastic Models (of rocket vehicles) would always seem to fit more in Scale than anyplace else.

Edit - OK, I forgot about "scratch built". Then again, converting a non-flying scale model is not exactly "scratch" either, so Scale also would seem to be suitable.

- George Gassaway

Mostly ture but generally PMC's Models are either in the motor class or Scratch Built forums.
Since most kits are very loose with their "scale like qualities" they are generally not even talked about with other scale modeling. I really have no problem with it either way and would welcome a PMC forum to balance the "Goonies". But that's just me;)

I for one would like to see a PMC forum. Is there a good reason why we can't have one?

I for one would like to see a PMC forum. Is there a good reason why we can't have one?

I believe mainly it's because PMC is such a small nitch platform. I'm one of the very few people I know (or have heard of) that fly plastic models just for fun. Most only fly them when arm twisting forced into it to fly a in NAR competitions.. LOL!!! Many preferring to call it "Dreaded Plastic Death" competition.

It'd be very nice to have a seperate place to put PMC's. We'll have to wait and see if enough other folks chime in to have the Mods add another catagory.

Hey AK are ya listening? :blush:

Ps: My last two weren't Rockets at all. One was converting a 1/18th F-104 for flight on a 3 D12 cluster. Going to the other extreme the second; a 1/180th XB-70 Vallkrie 6xMMX-II cluster. Both were Great fun to build and fly.

Last edited:
My thinking is if there is a place to discuss and post pictures on this topic (PMC). Maybe more information could be ganed. If it's not use that much, how much space can it take up?:2:

I've done a few PMC, and I think it would be nice to have a place to brag about them.

Back