Revell Gemini giveaway in 1967

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlazarus6660

Reaction score
In 1967, Revell gave away a full size model of a Gemini capsule. Along with that, they included a Vox guitar and 200 of their model kits. A 13 year old boy Scout named Robbie Alan Hanshew from Portland, OR won the grand prize and donated it to OMSI, Oregon Museum of Science Industry where it still sits today. The ad ran in several publications and read like this.

"First Prize...a Gemini Spacecraft! No put-on. This is for real--the wildest, way out prize ever awarded in any contest: a 19-foot prototype of the famed NASA spacecraft. Your Gemini capsule is just like the original. There's a detachable hatch, equipment section, and retro-fire package. Accurate from the ground up! When you win Gemini you'll be at the airport when it arrives in a 'Flying Guppy' Aero Spacelines plane. Your name and picture will be in newspapers and magazines all over the country. How will it feel to present your spacecraft to your city for a park or museum? Famous, that's how. There's more. As the grand prize winner, you'll receive a professional Vox 'Serenader' guitar--plus, every Revell Model Kit! Sounds great."

It got shipped by rail, not by Flying Guppy Aero Spacelines plane.

Someone did a search in Jan. 09 and went to Revell PR Dept. and got this letter back from them.

"Dear Mark,

I spoke to a man by the name of Howard Reider. Howard was the man who brought this idea to life. In 1967, he was the PR & Marketing Manager for Revell. He was very sorry, but had zero information on who won the prize. His best suggestion would be to look in local papers in Oregon or possibly Boys Life Magazine archives as the prize was donated by a winner to a local museum. Possibly, the museum in Oregon has a file on this and the boy that won.

To confirm for all, this was not a model. This was an actual replica that was produced by McDonald Douglas. The capsule had to be shipped via railroad direct to the museum. The prize was awarded via a sweepstakes type entry, in order to win; the winner had to agree that they would donate to a local museum for two reasons, (1) So that others may enjoy and (2) Because it had to be shipped via railroad direct to the donation site.

A little more trivia for you, the cost of building this kit was $5,000. In 1967 $5,000 was unheard for any type of prize. Plus the additional model kits that the kid won. At least the kid got to keep all the model kits as he watched his beloved capsule given away. There were numerous glitches along the way in production. At the last minute McDonald Douglas said they would not provide the capsule. However, after seeing all the press etc, they some how found a way to complete the project and deliver to the museum.

I would be interested in hearing any further information on this if the museum has the name of the winner etc.

I realize this does not answer your number one question of WHO the big winner is, hopefully, you will find some of this info helpful.

Also, it made Howard's day when I called him and asked about this. He said in all the years after this contest, not one person ever called him about it again. He was astounded that now 40+ years later that people are interested.

Please keep me advised if you are able to find the winner etc."

Regards,

Joyce Collier
Revell Sales

I thought this was an interesting story and my older brother entered this contest back then but doesn't remember if Revell sent him an acknowledgement of his entry.

Feb-1967-MAN-p10-revell.jpg

I don't remember this contest:facepalm: But I do remember around 1966-1967 there was an ad in a magazine, I can't remember which one, but it was geared towards early teens. The ad promoted a similar contest, only it was for an F-86! :eyepop: If I remember correctly, it was the F-86D or Saber Dog, :cool: with the radar dome in the nose. And of course the winner had to donate it to a park in the winners area. I would lay awake till the wee hours (for a 12 year old) trying to figure out a scam that would allow me to keep it if I won.:dark: I didn't even consider I had no place to keep it:facepalm:

I remember this. I wanted to win so bad and figure out a way to screw the museum so I could have it in my garage. just like Talon with his plane.

I don't remember this contest:facepalm: But I do remember around 1966-1967 there was an ad in a magazine, I can't remember which one, but it was geared towards early teens. The ad promoted a similar contest, only it was for an F-86! :eyepop: If I remember correctly, it was the F-86D or Saber Dog, :cool: with the radar dome in the nose. And of course the winner had to donate it to a park in the winners area. I would lay awake till the wee hours (for a 12 year old) trying to figure out a scam that would allow me to keep it if I won.:dark: I didn't even consider I had no place to keep it:facepalm:

I remember that ad. I believe it was "Air Classics". Reminds me of the Air Classics issue that had pics of the filming of a new movie with WWI biplanes (or semi-reasonable facsimiles thereof) called "The Blue Max".

Greg

It would cool if you could dig up a pic or article of this contest. I, for one, would like to read/see about it.

This ad was posted on Facebook a few weeks back, I can't remember if it was Squirrel Works or someone else who posted it. Anyway, when I saw this, the first time, I wondered who it was that won it too. Now I know. That's a cool follow-up story. It reminds me of the contest in Heinlein's book "Have Space Suit Will Travel" and the soap limerick contest.

WOW.... thats the capsule at OMSI??? My kids LOVE it and I have loads of pics of them in it!!!

I have a/the Boy's Life with this ad in it, was curious, found this thread, then went on to find this.....
https://www.google.com/search?q="Ro...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

https://mugshots.com/US-Counties/Oregon/Marion-County-OR/Robert-Alan-Hanshew.8789882.html

Hoping it aint so, but its the only "Robbie Alan Hanshew" that hits, and it is in Oregon.

Oh no! I guess anyone can go bad :(

I recall an ad in Boy's Life for a sweepstakes in which a prize was one of the space suits from Marooned.

That would be cool :) Hmmm... I wonder what the reaction would be turning up to a launch in a space suit!!

Krusty

Oh no! I guess anyone can go bad :(

That would be cool :) Hmmm... I wonder what the reaction would be turning up to a launch in a space suit!!

Krusty
I'm pretty sure that at Black Rock, you'd want the portable A/C unit to go with it.....

G.D.

Back