Returning to rocketry, need suggestions on electronics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimbroix

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I moved to DC about 5 years ago and did not fly at all. Now back in an area where I can fly and am building a 54mm L2 rocket. I am looking to replace some old components and would like some suggestions. I would like a flexible piece of hardware so I can move it from rocket to rocket. Some of the things I would like to have is below. I was looking at the RRC3 Xtreme Altimeter. What other components would I need to add to achieve what I want below? Any other suggestions for electronics?

Dual Deploy
Air Start, 1 or 2 stages (2 is ideal)
Altimeter

The Perfectflite Stratologger CF is my favorite. It doesn't do stages or air starts, but it is a recording altimeter that does dual deploy and is only $55 from the Perfectflite website.

You could add a Altus Metrum EasyTimer to the rocket for about $80. That is a 2 pyro channel timer with tilt limits.

Of course you can find units that combine both of those and other features, but the price goes up. You can get units that run over $400.

I personally love the TeleMega, but it is probably out of your price range. The Featherweight Raven is my standard altimeter that I otherwise use. I have used RRC3 altimeters (on our full-size V2 project) and they worked well.

Other than that you need some form of switch. I like the pull-pin type personally, using snap-action microswitches.

For batteries I normally run LiPos. Plenty of them, and relevant connectors available through RC sites like www.hobbyking.com

For setting off the charges I recommend purchasing eMatches. They are cheap and reliable.

I like the RRC2+ as my go to altimeter for dual deploy. I use a Raven for staging. I also like the RRC3 and if you can solder, the Eggtimer kits are great. I typically use an RRC2+ and an Eggtimer Quantum.

You might want to take a look at the EggTimer products. The Proton can handle everything you’re looking at and you can also consider the Quantum. You do need to solder these components your self but if you lack the skills people here can help.

Attachments

• 290C749E-07E1-4E23-8B85-9E328F30D6A5.png
    290C749E-07E1-4E23-8B85-9E328F30D6A5.png
    351.3 KB · Views: 11
If you want GPS trackers also, I use the Missile Works T3. It's low cost and very reliable. Missile work has a higher end tracker with recording capability. Other manufactures also make GPS trackers requiring armature radio license and some that don't.

I like the RRC2+ as my go to altimeter for dual deploy. I use a Raven for staging. I also like the RRC3 and if you can solder, the Eggtimer kits are great. I typically use an RRC2+ and an Eggtimer Quantum.
I also like the RRC2+ and have 4 of them to minimize device moves from one bird to another.

Also have 2 Adept’s that I’ve never used but the price was right.

For setting off the charges I recommend purchasing eMatches. They are cheap and reliable.
For those not wanting to get involved with purchase and storage of ematches whether regulated or not, there is now an alternative:
https://www.apogeerockets.com/Elect...ters/Lightning-Bug-Dual-Deployment-Altimeter/
I have one of Brian's Lightning Bugs. Haven't tried it yet but will do so as soon as we have high-power launches at our field, hopefully October. His altimeter makes me think "Why didn't I think of that?"

Best -- Terry

Great idea. My main concern would be the high voltage breaking down the insulation on the wire provided and the arc not ending up where intended. Looks like regular PVC wiring has been provided.

Also, possible EMI problems from the arc affecting other electronics would be worth checking for too. Radio "splatter" from the arc would be not insignificant.

For those not wanting to get involved with purchase and storage of ematches whether regulated or not, there is now an alternative:
https://www.apogeerockets.com/Elect...ters/Lightning-Bug-Dual-Deployment-Altimeter/
I have one of Brian's Lightning Bugs. Haven't tried it yet but will do so as soon as we have high-power launches at our field, hopefully October. His altimeter makes me think "Why didn't I think of that?"

Best -- Terry
How do you mount the black boxes? How heavy are they?

I would probably take the same approach I use for LiPos. Velcro them down and a good-quality cable tie or two over the top.

As for mass, they are coils so won't be the lightest parts in the rocket.

Thanks for the info. are the RRC2+ easy to use and learn?

Would you think a RRC2+ as my DD and a raven (linked below?) for air starts? I wan to build a 5 motor rocket. One center motor, then 4 outboard motors that would fire back to back. Would this work with a RRC2+ and a Raven?

https://www.featherweightaltimeters.com/raven-altimeter.html

Would you think a RRC2+ as my DD and a raven (linked below?) for air starts? I wan to build a 5 motor rocket. One center motor, then 4 outboard motors that would fire back to back. Would this work with a RRC2+ and a Raven?

The RRC2+ is super-easy to use. All "programming" is on the board by flipping 4 DIP switches back or forth. It doesn't report anything but apogee, but it's a great basic dual deploy altimeter, particularly as a redundant backup to an altimeter with more recording features.

There isn’t an easier altimeter to use for dual deployment than the RRC2+. It’s ready to go out of the box.

The Raven is a lot more challenging to program, but you can do so much more with it, including 4 air starts. It gives you lots of options, including options to make sure you are going vertical when it lights off the four outboard motors. I highly recommend it.

Great idea. My main concern would be the high voltage breaking down the insulation on the wire provided and the arc not ending up where intended. Looks like regular PVC wiring has been provided.

Also, possible EMI problems from the arc affecting other electronics would be worth checking for too. Radio "splatter" from the arc would be not insignificant.

It is standard PVC insulated wire provided.
After thousands of test firings and hundreds of launches, the only cause for arcing where it shouldn't has been due to damaged insulation.

EMI problems for other electronics is another story that has not been investigated.

Back