Returning Rocketeer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveNeill

SNG Studio Ventura
Reaction score
After 10 years of rockets collecting dust that never got flown I am returning to my hobbies bit by bit. RC scratch built and kit built planes and jets. Slot cars, RC submarines, boats, gliders, free flight and last but not least, Rockets.

10 years ago my late wife came down with stage 4 cancer. This tends to white wash everything. In 2013 she passed. I shut down my Rocket making and kits on 2010. My company was called Hostile Projectiles and I sold some kits and had the pleasure of watching you guys fly them. Some of you will remember them.

I now live in Ventura Ca. by the sea and have a film effects studio there. www.steveneillsgarage.com which is also an ideal large workshop for my hobbies.

I'm going to go to Lucerne for Rocktober in October and fly some of the rockets I built, meet some of you and have a blast camped out in my motor home with Mary and the dogs.

It's my hope to build and rocket boosted RC glider by then. Booster and piggy backed glider configuration larger that the one pictured in this thread.

I also have a local group I created called the Ventura Model Aviators if you click on that it will take you to the site.

Here is a few models I built. Some you will remember.

IMG-1202.jpg

The X-15 delta concept original prototype never flown but some of you did.

rocket%20boost.jpg

My rocket boost glider which was a scratch build. Never flown.

V23%20037.jpg

This was another one of my kits one of you built and flew. Can't remember the builders name but he did a great job!

IMG-1219%201.jpg

Two Redstones, one a Dr. Zooch and the other larger one all scratch built. A Big Daddy with a camera mount.

IMG-1218%201.jpg

You all know what this is.

IMG-1204.jpg

Pro series Estes. I don't think they sell this many more could find it on their site so the name escapes me.

And there's more I will post on my website. If any of you live in Ventura please feel free to contact me and take a tour of the studio. You might find it interesting. ;)

45804438_10215314900960660_1439248909598720000_n.jpg

Many props and huge model of the Enterprise built from scratch. Lots of props and models from films I worked on and you can sit in an exactly replica of the captains chair also built from scratch.

For some reason this software thinks my paid photobucket account pictures are spam but not all thus the holes instead of pictures. However they loaded directly from my drive to the forum file upload.

Attachments

• IMG-1202.jpg
    IMG-1202.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG-1219.jpg
    IMG-1219.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG-1218 (1).JPG
    IMG-1218 (1).JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 59
Thanks.

I have a question regarding insurance. I am a member of some many organizations I getting 60 dollared to death like many of you I would suppose. Last I checked 10 years ago AMA insurance covered you for rockets? I can't find anything on their convoluted website about it...so far. I'm a member of the AMA, Valley Flyers, FAC,NFFA, and a local soaring club and airfield in Visalia CA. Then there's my 4 websites. If I am covered by AMA then I would just join ROC. They are closest to me in Lucerne about a three hour drive but worth it. Otherwise I need to join NRA or both? I'm looking for advise here because in this uptight state I can only fly legally at either Lucerne or Santa Fe Dam. Thanks for any advise.

The AMA insurance covers you when you follow the NAR safety code for model rockets. So it won't cover high power rocketry.

I recommend NAR membership because the insurance is better and you are more directly supporting our hobby. NAR memberships benefit local clubs by providing insurance and other support. Plus you get a nice magazine and other benefits as a NAR member.

Last edited:
High powered rocketry starts where? G engines and up? Largest I'll fly for awhile until I get bit and crazy will be Aerotech 29mm engines which I have. And thank you for finding that. I do remember reading that. I have been an AMA member since 1985 and my number is higher than the current membership which speaks volumes. ;)

Boy you guys are quick. But that makes sense!

Here is the link to the AMA insurance info: https://amablog.modelaircraft.org/membershipbenefits/2012/07/20/ama-and-model-rockets/

Just remember certification is require when:
  • Uses a motor with more than 160 Newton-seconds of total impulse (an “H” motor or larger) or multiple motors that all together exceed 320 Newton-seconds; or
  • Uses a motor with more than 80 Newtons average thrust (see rocket motor coding); or
  • Exceeds 125 grams (4.4 ounces) of propellant; or
  • Weighs more than 1,500 grams (53 ounces) including motor(s); or
  • Uses a hybrid motor or a motor designed to emit sparks; or
  • Includes any airframe parts of ductile metal.
NAR & NFPA 1122/1127 Info found at:
https://www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/

Just be aware some G exceed 125grams of propellant... so they are considered HPR. If your using Aerotech... look at this chart:
https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/u...897bb_AeroTech Master Motor Matrix 7-5-18.pdf

Also as an FYI there might be specific club requirements...especially in CA.

Welcome Back!!!

I love that bird beak Klingon Disruptor... You wouldn't happen to know my friend, Dragon Dronet, would you?

Long Live the Klingon Empire!!!

I met Dragon a long time ago on a shoot and he gave me a bunch of com badges and other resin cast pieces. I also worked on Star Trek. My first job was making Spock's ears for the first movie. I also did many Klingon's for Star Trek 6.

Hey I remember you too! Thanks for saying hi and thanks for building an flying my models.

I joined ROC and I'm looking forward to flying at Lucerne. First time out will be Roctober. I have 11 rockets to take out there. Maybe I should just bring 5 the first time. Here's the line up at my shop. I have been going through them making sure they are OK.

And then there's this. An X-1. Scratch built. In fact it was a kit I use to make. It had a pusher electric motor in it. wingspan is 45 inches. Very light. So what if I stick a G motor in it and launch and fly it back down? I'll have to weigh it and recheck the span. But I think it might work? Opinions?

Attachments

• IMG-1241.JPG
    IMG-1241.JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG-1248.JPG
    IMG-1248.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 38
Wow, what a collection! I'll bet you could finance your rocketry by selling tickets to tour your house!

Thanks guys. Actually it's not my house but rather my cave-studio-shop-aerospace and maker facility. But it is a home away from home as Mary and I spend most of our time there making things. Currently I'm making a larger "Iron Giant" model just for me. Not sure what motors to stick in his feet.

If you want to see the place there's an old video tour on the website. https://www.steveneillsgarage.com/ I also have the Ventura Model Aviators site all things model airplanes and now rockets. https://theventuramodelaviators.home.blog/

Again thanks so much for your warm welcome backs.

Attachments

• 53236127_537288943459295_1747553091013574656_n.jpg
    53236127_537288943459295_1747553091013574656_n.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 36
Hey I remember you too! Thanks for saying hi and thanks for building an flying my models.

I joined ROC and I'm looking forward to flying at Lucerne. First time out will be Roctober. I have 11 rockets to take out there. Maybe I should just bring 5 the first time. Here's the line up at my shop. I have been going through them making sure they are OK.

And then there's this. An X-1. Scratch built. In fact it was a kit I use to make. It had a pusher electric motor in it. wingspan is 45 inches. Very light. So what if I stick a G motor in it and launch and fly it back down? I'll have to weigh it and recheck the span. But I think it might work? Opinions?

It is all about shifting the CG from rocket to airplane. Would use a lower trust longer burning motor so as not to re-kit it off the pad. Maybe just building a scratch rocket would be easier. Search the forum, I remember a couple of X 1 threads.

Latest posts

Back