Return to Higgs - MDRA ESL 232 Nov 18&19

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott S

Reaction score
MDRA Returns to Higg's Farm for the Nov 18 & 19 launch. It's been a mild fall so far in Maryland and hopefully that holds true thru Thanksgiving. I've been looking forward to this all summer so I want to start the Higgs season off with a bang.

I've gathered a fair amount of data on my Sparky mix and I think I'm gonna make the jump from a 54mm motor to a 98mm N for the Return to Higgs. Thinking about a 98-16000 to fly the 3/4 Scale Nike Smoke

View attachment 330743

Here's the Nike on a 98-13000 red to 5,200'. Think I should get about the same altitude on a 98-16000 Sparky.

So who else is showing up and what are you flying????

Scott,
MDRA

Last edited:
Plan to be there Saturday with my Formula 200 (provided we get the motor made). My Formula 75 is still prepped from October and will go up first, baby, then papa. I may also put my Scorpion up on a J240 red if I have time, but I will also be helping the kids and Tom.

Let me know if you need pad/recovery support, too.

Oh man,,
I can't wait for that one..
That sounds like one big kickin sparkie for sure Scott...
That's super nice of you John,,
Paying back is always worthwhile...
This is going to be a smokin fun time as always at Higgs...
I always look forward to going back to Higgs every fall...
I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder,, lol..

I can't wait,,
See you all there..

Teddy

I will be there, I will be flying my Sensor on a K650, my Black Brant on a K650 if I get the new nose cone finished otherwise the Sensor gets flown twice, and maybe my L3 rocket on a left over L motor.

I will be there, I will be flying my Sensor on a K650, my Black Brant on a K650 if I get the new nose cone finished otherwise the Sensor gets flown twice, and maybe my L3 rocket on a left over L motor.

I am always agreeable to taking leftovers off of people's hands. :wink:

Too cool Dennis,,
I'll see you there fer sure...

Teddy

Depending on how much I get done, I may put BourbonRoc on the trailer and bring it for show and tell.

I'll be there flying my L2 project on an I599N for its first flight. Also my first dual-deploy flight but not my first with electronics. Will also bring a little rocket I built to fly on a G sparky or smokey sam (if we can't launch sparkies).

I'll be there flying my L2 project on an I599N for its first flight. Also my first dual-deploy flight but not my first with electronics. Will also bring a little rocket I built to fly on a G sparky or smokey sam (if we can't launch sparkies).

Tommy loves sparkies. Let me know if you need any help.

Sparkies have been banned at Higgs from time to time, but it is not the rule. Never hurts to have a Plan B.
Yep I've helped put out some of the fires too >.>
Always have a plan B when I want to fly sparkies, my cert is on a sparky but I have a backup motor to cert on if sparkies can't be used.

John I'll probably have Peter help me assemble the I599N but if he gets busy then I would love the help as its my first Aerotech reload. I have the case and Ken is bringing the motor to the launch so I don't have to pay the hazmat fees :p Also wouldn't help to have another set of eyes look over my electronics to make sure it works right (will be firing main at apogee and drogue at a lower altitude just to make sure it lands safely).

Sparkies have been banned at Higgs from time to time, but it is not the rule. Never hurts to have a Plan B.

Will also bring a little rocket I built to fly on a G sparky or smokey sam (if we can't launch sparkies).

It is always a great idea to have a plan B whether it's motor selection or recovery decent rate. We try to allow everyone to fly the motors they want until it becomes a safety hazard or a delay to the launch. This early in the season sparkies shouldn't be a safety issue with respect to a ground fires spreading rapidly, that usually occurs in the spring. The latter becomes an issue based on the attendance at the launch. I'm hoping we get a large turn out for this launch as it's always a special occasion when we Return to Higgs.

I'm planning to do my cert flight with my L3 rocket which I have named Frenzy XXL. Motor will be a CTI 75mm M1810 Red Lightning. Don't know which day yet but I'm going to need a little help with this one. I've determined that it's not physically possible to line up the shear pin holes by myself on this 75 lb rocket.

I'm also planning to fly my upscale Onyx, which I didn't fly at the sod farm all summer because it doesn't have any gravel parking lot rash yet.

I'm planning to do my cert flight with my L3 rocket which I have named Frenzy XXL. Motor will be a CTI 75mm M1810 Red Lightning. Don't know which day yet but I'm going to need a little help with this one. I've determined that it's not physically possible to line up the shear pin holes by myself on this 75 lb rocket.

I'm also planning to fly my upscale Onyx, which I didn't fly at the sod farm all summer because it doesn't have any gravel parking lot rash yet.
I'd love to help. Love your paint jobs and have yet to meet you in person. Also I've helped before on big projects (Tom C. lets me help him whenever I please).

If it's Saturday, I'm all in.

When are you setting up the field for the season? I can take some time and come over to help set. Just need to know when. Thanks!

Had a nice motor-building session with Dennis and Scott, and now I have propellant cast for an M for the November launch. Got to cut the grains and assemble the motor next time.

Between a year+, all expenses paid military vacation to the middle east followed by a move across the country and a new job, I have not been to a launch or flown a rocket in about 22 months. Shameful, I know, but I think that's all about to change. Life's finally gotten back to a place of stability where this next MDRA launch may be my next rocket event! I am getting giddy with the thought of being at a launch, getting to know a new club, learning a new field(s) and getting back into the rocketry community that I've missed a great deal. If I am lucky, I may be at this launch with my youngest daughter, who will be back from college for Thanksgiving, and she loves rocketry as much as I do. I may only have mid-power options ready to go, but we will still be flying rockets!

Between a year+, all expenses paid military vacation to the middle east followed by a move across the country and a new job, I have not been to a launch or flown a rocket in about 22 months. Shameful, I know, but I think that's all about to change. Life's finally gotten back to a place of stability where this next MDRA launch may be my next rocket event! I am getting giddy with the thought of being at a launch, getting to know a new club, learning a new field(s) and getting back into the rocketry community that I've missed a great deal. If I am lucky, I may be at this launch with my youngest daughter, who will be back from college for Thanksgiving, and she loves rocketry as much as I do. I may only have mid-power options ready to go, but we will still be flying rockets!

Thanks for your service. I wish I could get to MDRA. One of these days. If you want to help with a large project, I suggest you link up with Tom Cohen -- tell him Mike Walsh sent you. I am certain he would love the help.

Thanks for your service. I wish I could get to MDRA. One of these days. If you want to help with a large project, I suggest you link up with Tom Cohen -- tell him Mike Walsh sent you. I am certain he would love the help.

Tom is planning to fly his 250-lb. Higgs Farm rocket, and will need much help getting it onto the pad. I've never seen him turn anyone down. Weather permitting and Lord willing, this should be a great launch.

Ohh man,,
I'm really getting psyched to get back to a launch at Higgs...
What a fantastic club, field , and bunch of people...
Mark,, First and foremost,, thank you for your service,,
thank you for dealing with a life that was not stable for so long so that we back home can have a stable life,, thank you..
It'll sure be nice to meet you and get to shake your hand after all these years..
John,,
You're just typing about a motor building session with Dennis and Scott to make me jealous,, lol..
Man,, I wish I lived a bit closer to you guy's...
Nathan,, always nice to see you again and see one of your fantastic paint jobs...

Teddy

Ohh man,,
John,,
You're just typing about a motor building session with Dennis and Scott to make me jealous,, lol..
Man,, I wish I lived a bit closer to you guy's...

Teddy

I'll bet there are homes for sale in Maryland if you look....

Hey, make sure when you come down that you don't spend all your time selling and do manage to get a rocket in the air.

Ted, will you be at the launch? I need to get some Loki reloads for 2-stage booster. AMW does not have the motors I need right now.

Hahaha,,
Yeah John,, I'd love to get a flight in,, especially at Higgs,, but I can't promise that just right now...
Yep,, I'll be there for sure Crazy,, I have the entire Loki catalog in stock up through 54 / 2800
and am now starting to stock 76mm as well..
Shoot me an email at my sales address and tell me what you'd like just to be certain...

Teddy

I'm looking at either the I405, I430 or J528. I would assume that you have those as they seem to be the most popular ones. Thanks!

I'm looking at either the I405, I430 or J528. I would assume that you have those as they seem to be the most popular ones. Thanks!

Plenty of all in stock..
You do realize those are 2 different case and nooozzles sizes right ??
480 and 720.......

Teddy

Back