Return of AT D21 ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shockwaveriderz

Reaction score
Hopefully Joe B. will read this post and add some coments. I was wondering if AT had any plans to get the D21 Su motor back into safety and contest status by next NARAM....preferably sooner so I can experiment with it for my D ELD models?

what say you Joe? Any plans for AT to bring this puppy back anytime soon?

Originally posted by shockwaveriderz
Hopefully Joe B. will read this post and add some coments. I was wondering if AT had any plans to get the D21 Su motor back into safety and contest status by next NARAM....preferably sooner so I can experiment with it for my D ELD models?

what say you Joe? Any plans for AT to bring this puppy back anytime soon?

It's got my vote. Twice!

*Both Hands Raised*

Does that count as two votes for the D21?

Jason

*raises hand*
*raises other hand*
*gets tarantula and teases it making it raise all legs/arms*

I'd like to see em back!

I even talked my wife and mom into raising their hands....

Joe, It's worth some home baked cookies...

Hey...wait a minute...

Last year at NARAM 45 in Evensville, Indiana I checked into the RSO table with a D21-4 in my Commando Cody Rocket and nobody said anything:confused:

Was I NOT supposed to fly that engine there?

I did! It flew great too!

Yes I'd like to see them come back...but NOT at $8 each please. Maybe something a little more reasonable.

WOW1 thats how much they were going for this time last year? $8 a pop? wow thats kinda steep.....I wonder what kinda cost the Quest D20 will have? I also wonder who is making it.....I wonder if Quest is having AT to make it for them?

Originally posted by sandman

Yes I'd like to see them come back...but NOT at $8 each please. Maybe something a little more reasonable.

$8!? the last five I got from Hobby Town about a year and a half ago were $10.95 each:(

I paid $8 for some really dusty D21s on a hobby shop shelf. they must have been manufactured in 2000 or early 2001. I don't think I would pay much more for them, not when I can get an E, F, or G for just a few $$$ more.

consider using D24 18mm RMS instead of D21s. although, the RMS has a plastic on the cap ejection powder, and the cap just doesn't fit past the forward tab of a typical BT20 motor clip. so plan ahead if you want to fly on RMS, and leave out the motor clip, or file or bend the front end of it, or something like that...?

Originally posted by xenon
$8!? the last five I got from Hobby Town about a year and a half ago were $10.95 each:(

According to buyrockets.com, Great Lakes lists them for $5.59, Discount Hobby Center, $5.79

But call first to check stock.

Originally posted by cls

consider using D24 18mm RMS instead of D21s. although, the RMS has a plastic on the cap ejection powder, and the cap just doesn't fit past the forward tab of a typical BT20 motor clip. so plan ahead if you want to fly on RMS, and leave out the motor clip, or file or bend the front end of it, or something like that...?

The red cap will not fit over most motor hooks in 18mm motor mounts. The solution to this problem is to grind some of the tab off the hook when building the rocket, and rely on a thrust ring (which you should be doing anyway, adding a thrust ring adds years to your motor mounts life.).

If the rocket is already built, don't sweat it. Take some 1/2" wide masking tae and wrap it tightly around the ejection well. I usually use my finger nail to press it into the grove. Then pour a tiny bit in the well, tap the motor cases againsts your taple to settle the power (This is very important, unless you don't mind your ejection charge not going off.). Pour the rest of the powder in, and fold the tape down onto itself to seal the powder in. Works great.

Originally posted by Rocketjunkie
I wish Aerotech would bring back the D8. GREAT motor!

Yeah! I agree! They should make it like the C4 was, a moon burning grain. Matter of fact, I think they should bring back the C4, C6, and C12 loads.... with some improvements.... three nozzles in a bag instead of sharing one nozzle with the three loads. It was a pain to clean the nozzles on those...

Why should thry make C loads? I absolutly loved the C4. Great motor! Nice long burn, mild thrust... Great motor for Estes rockets. Plus when CMASS has their C egg lofting competitons... those 18mm C's would be my motor of choice.

Originally posted by n3tjm
Yeah! I agree! They should make it like the C4 was, a moon burning grain.

D8's were a moon burning core that transitioned to end burner, fast propellant. Aerotech also used to make an E10 and F20 with the same grain geometry. I got C4's from Apogee, still have some C4-7s. I would expect them to come back eventually.

Yep , also got my vote by far $8 a go seems quite a 'reasonable' price if your looking for the quality. I carn't wait to see the Quest D20's , but Im doubtfull wether they will ever get certed over here :(

"Safety Cetified" OK.

"Contest Certified" No.

In other words: OK for sport flying, not OK for competition flying.

Originally posted by sandman
Hey...wait a minute...

Last year at NARAM 45 in Evensville, Indiana I checked into the RSO table with a D21-4 in my Commando Cody Rocket and nobody said anything:confused:

Was I NOT supposed to fly that engine there?

I did! It flew great too!

There is another thread on this in the low power section, and the prevailing thought seems to be that with Quest now set to produce 18mm SU D20's, AT won't bother with it. Don't know if it's true, seems that with the huge demand for these, there may be room for both, and certainly a little competition is good for us as the consumer! Last time Joe Burger was on here he basically said that there's been talk of doing it, but it wasn't first on the list. Well, just look at all these rocketeers (including me) just begging for these babies! Whoever produces them, whether it be Quest or AT will certainly get some great business out of it from me and others.

Glenn

My gut feeling is that we have seen the last of the A 21. Why should they bother when QUEST will have an 18mm D20 available?

And who would be producing tha AT D20 for QUEST anyway????

Inquiring minds want to know!!

I would like to see more long burning 18mm reloads like the D8, or C4.

I am hoping that Apogee will at least re-introduce their medalist line of 13mm and 18mm SU motors

Phred

I imagine producing the D21 is just an issue of buying the case material for it... they already have the propellant slugs that size (D24), and delay grains.... so I think that is the only thing holding them back...

Also, imho, when the D21's do come back... make some -10's.

astron: as far as who will be making the Quest D20.....well lets do a little detective work and see if we can discern who that may be...

First would Quest invest money to make their own APCP motor making facility? I don't think so....not cost effective.....so who else makes composites...well there are AT and Ellis Mtn as candidiates as AMW and CTI make only larger AP motors.....There are No AP motors makers overseas.....so the only person I can see making them is AT or Ellis Mtn.... AT did make the AP motors for Apogee, still makes the Apogee E6/F10....so it makes perfect sense for AT to make the D20.....

I'd bet on AT also. But who knows. If Ellis made them the avg impulse would be lower and they'd be a lot longer than regular sized motors.

Originally posted by Rocketjunkie
I wish Aerotech would bring back the D8. GREAT motor!

Great-Yes. Easy to manufacture-No.

I'm pretty sure Scott Pearce and I made the last batch run of D8s ever produced. Very labor intensive (Compared to the D21). I have flashbacks to drilling the cores on each of the propellant grains...

Initiator
you mention that the D8 was difficult to mfg but that the D21 was not.
Do you know if there are plans to bring the D21 back and if so what the time frame is.

Originally posted by saunassa
Initiator
you mention that the D8 was difficult to mfg but that the D21 was not.
Do you know if there are plans to bring the D21 back and if so what the time frame is.

Sorry, I don't have the answers to your questions.

I would ask someone from AeroTech.

I am fairly confident that the D21 will be brought back next year sometime. We are currently working a possible plan with Quest that is still in the discussion phase.

We are aware of it's popularity. The E15's are also on the discussion table for reintroduction. As news develops, we will definately make an announcement.

Back