Return from COVID Rules and Suggestions for Launches

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

David Schwantz

Reaction score
And just like that a cluster of six (possibly more) cases was announced in another tourist destination county in Montana. Travel was involved. This is a group of young people who apparently disregarded the state out of state travel advisory.
Steve, are you kiddin me! The news channels at home here are telling people to get out and plan their trips for the summer. Even giving destinations on the best places to go. One of the worst things I have seen.

Last edited:

Buckeye

Reaction score
How long are you proposing that these rules be in place? What is the indicator that triggers them to be relaxed and not needed anymore?

We also need to be careful about limiting the number of people at launches. We already have a very small, niche hobby. Any kid and friend/family member is a potential member. The rocketry hobby is unique in that it normally takes place in pretty open environments, conducive to spreading out.
Yep, that is the problem. The past 3 months have proved just one thing. Nobody knows anything. For every theory, action plan, and data espoused, there are equal and opposite ones. Good luck defining triggers.

I agree on the people limits. I drive a minimum of 3.5 hours to HPR launches with 3 different clubs. I am not going to do that if my ability to launch is determined by lottery or some other scheme of the day. I will find a new hobby.

rocket_troy

Reaction score
I am not sure you need to terminally clean the equipment. The heat of GA probably deactivated the virus,
There should be plenty of goodies in a typical APCP exhaust to kill a virus. Not just the heat, but the hydrogen chloride gas and subsequent hydrochloric acid (from the reaction with moisture) should provide a pretty hostile environment. Apparently a diluted concentration of just 0.5% H2O2 is enough to kill it in under 1min.

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Steve, are you kiddin me! The news channels at home here areee advising people tp get out and plan their tris for the summer. Even giving destinations on theee best places to go. One of the worst things
Well, it wasn’t the act of traveling alone that infected them. It would have been where they went, who they visited, absence of PPE, etc.
This morning there were more details. Apparently a fifty year old man went out of state and then returned. He ended up hospitalized and they started testing people he has been visiting since returning. Of nine that were tested seven tested positive and now I think 30 are being tracked.

Last edited:

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Well, it wasn’t the act of traveling alone that infected them. It would have been where they went, who they visited, absence of PPE, etc.
This morning there were more details. Apparently a fifty year old man went out of state and then returned. He ended up hospitalized and they started testing people he has been visiting since returning. Of nine that were tested seven tested positive and now I think 30 are being tracked.
Writing is difficult. Words are perceived differently by each person. I have to agree. Travel was a factor but traveling by itself will not cause a COVID cluster. It takes poor any hygiene or another means to catch the virus.

David Schwantz

Reaction score
Kind of what I was saying, you may not know if you are infected, but get out and travel and go infect others. The news was giving great places to go, and they were not in state:(
I know some travel is needed, like what I do as a job. But I did not think it was proper for the news to give this advice. But once again, what do I know. I am just a dumb hick that drives a truck :)

DaveW6DPS

Reaction score
I think compliance is in the eye of the beholder. Gloves may actually be a risk if people do not remove them appropriately or touch their faces.
Face coverings can also present a significant risk. For those of us in the Southwest using a well designed and constructed face cover correctly will substantially increase the wearer's risk of heat stress. I think wearing one while recovering away from others should be strongly discouraged on warm to hot days. For our club we constantly remind everyone to stay hydrated and be aware of heat stress, which can rapidly become life threatening. Adding to the problem with face coverings could make it much more of a problem.

We are looking at a variety of information sources, including the CDC, CalOSHA, and the county health department.

None of this is simple or easy, and we are concerned with trading one hazard for another.