Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I am working on a thread with suggestions on how to avoid COVID and what to add to your packing list.

Rules:
Rule 1: Masks MUST be worn at or near the LCO table

Rule 2: No crowding the LCO and unless you are flying with family & close
friends, everyone will maintain a safe distance of 6'. Violators will not be
tolerated!

Rule 3: No one touches anything on the LCO table other than launch cards. Launch
cards will be filled out away from the LCO. Regardless of motor impulse
class (HP or LP), each flyer will use an individual launch card.

Rule 4: Everyone should have their own writing utensil and this writing
utensil shall be used for continuity testing at the pad (zero human contact
if at all possible).

Rule 5: Any rocket that needs an RSO inspection will not be handled by
anyone other than the flyer. The flyer will point out any items on the rocket
that might be a concern.

Rule 6: Flyers are expected to have some type of hand sanitizer.

Ways to avoid catching or passing COVID at rocket launches:
  • Avoid close contact with sick people.
  • Maintain 6 fee distance yourself and other people (social distancing). If you cannot maintain 6 feet distancing, wear a mask.
  • Stay home when sick, except to get medical care.
  • Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue or cough and sneeze into your elbow if you can't cover with a tissue.
  • Do not touch any common surfaces that others might have touched. Clean frequently touched surfaces and objects daily using regular household detergent and water.
  • Bring your own pen. Never use someone else's writing instruments.
  • Only use pick up or drive through to get meals.
  • Bring hand sanitizer and use it before and after touching any surface.
  • Bring sanitizing wipes to clean all surfaces. Encourage people not to touch surfaces.
  • Clean all common surfaces several times per day.
  • Any rocket inspections should be no-touch inspections. The rocket should remain in the flier's hands.
  • Reduce the overall number of attendees. Any larger gatherings offer more opportunities for person-to-person contact and therefore pose a greater risk of COVID-19 transmission.
  • Consider single-day events to avoid hotels and need for restaurants.
COVID Packing List:
  1. Tissues
  2. Hand Sanitizer
  3. Your Own INK Pen
  4. Sharpies
  5. Sanitizer wipes
  6. A cloth mask or bandana
At least one person mentioned making cloth masks for sale to raise funds. It might be a winner!

Let me know if you any suggestions!

timbucktoo

Staff member
Global Mod
Reaction score
Chuck, one thing we added to our rules which we send out to all members, posted on our website, will post at launch (& I got from you):
If you’re sick, not feeling well or have a fever, stay home!

David Schwantz

Reaction score
Chuck, all sounds fine, but in some areas you still cannot get wipes, spray and masks. I am still waiting on masks that I ordered. We have only 1, and it is for my wife only. So maybe the club can have a station to sanitize also. Spray bottle, paper towels, kind of like what Wal Mart is doing. Could help some fliers stay safe.

David Schwantz

Reaction score
I had also asked this on a different thread. But our launches have a lot of people attend. I agree with small crowds, but how do you choose who comes? Time limit, lottery, first come?

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I had also asked this on a different thread. But our launches have a lot of people attend. I agree with small crowds, but how do you choose who comes? Time limit, lottery, first come?
That is a great question. The leadership of ROSCO is discussing this for our next launch in June. We are thinking of having a leadership and active club member launch (those that help run and setup) only launch. Oh crap, I guess that will be mostly leadership.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I would recommend a lottery with preference given to those who have attended most faithfully or have been past leadership. Those who tear down and set up get an automatic acceptance.
I concur.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Let me know if you any suggestions!
Bring plenty of bottled water or other beverages, individual sized portions (no sharing or give a ways)

If you bring Gatorade or other bottled beverages, planning on using the bottle for “double doody”, don’t bring lemon flavor.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Bring plenty of bottled water or other beverages, individual sized portions (no sharing or give a ways)

If you bring Gatorade or other bottled beverages, planning on using the bottle for “double doody”, don’t bring lemon flavor.
Never drink from another person’s Gatorade bottle especially if warm.

pondman

Serenity now......
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Chuck, this is a good list!

Tripoli Mid Ohio #31 held our first launch since February 29 this past Saturday, and prefect Todd Knight published a list of rules similar to what you have suggested, All flyers were compliant and I saw no issues. Ohio is opening up and one of the concerns expressed by the TMO BoD was regarding photos showing more than 10 people standing around. Did not seem to be an issue.

As an aside, the wife and I opened the cottage at Lakeside on Sunday and went to one of the local eateries for carry out. There were 30+_ people milling around waiting for food or waiting for food or waiting to order. Minimal social distancing practiced and and a varied assortment of masks versus no masks. Oh well.....

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Chuck, this is a good list!

Tripoli Mid Ohio #31 held our first launch since February 29 this past Saturday, and prefect Todd Knight published a list of rules similar to what you have suggested, All flyers were compliant and I saw no issues. Ohio is opening up and one of the concerns expressed by the TMO BoD was regarding photos showing more than 10 people standing around. Did not seem to be an issue.

As an aside, the wife and I opened the cottage at Lakeside on Sunday and went to one of the local eateries for carry out. There were 30+_ people milling around waiting for food or waiting for food or waiting to order. Minimal social distancing practiced and and a varied assortment of masks versus no masks. Oh well.....
Thanks.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
One thing I would like to stress to folks is that the risk goes beyond the club and guy or gal running the launch. Make sure to discuss your reopenning with local public health and the land owner.

dvdsnyd

Reaction score
How long are you proposing that these rules be in place? What is the indicator that triggers them to be relaxed and not needed anymore?

We also need to be careful about limiting the number of people at launches. We already have a very small, niche hobby. Any kid and friend/family member is a potential member. The rocketry hobby is unique in that it normally takes place in pretty open environments, conducive to spreading out.

Last edited:

timbucktoo

Staff member
Global Mod
Reaction score
They had a launch in Tampa last Saturday. I didn't attend but was told they had about 50 in attendance & everyone was compliant with new rules.

Joekeyo

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
They had a launch in Tampa last Saturday. I didn't attend but was told they had about 50 in attendance & everyone was compliant with new rules.
I was there. This is what I saw. The person taking the money and handing out the cards did where a mask and gloves for a while. No other persons other than her wore a mask at all, Unless you count the novelty shot of masks that bore the club insignia. These mask were worn for the duration it took to take a picture. I saw no one wearing gloves beside the person mentioned earlier.
Social distancing was generally maintained. Homebrew sanitizer was available at the launch area.
If you consider this compliant than so be it.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I think compliance is in the eye of the beholder. Gloves may actually be a risk if people do not remove them appropriately or touch their faces.

BDB

Absent Minded Professor
Reaction score
We are still limited to gatherings no larger than 5 in Rhode Island. That will hopefully increase to 15 next month. If I can find a place for us to launch, I was thinking about having an online sign up sheet for people to come launch in groups no bigger than 13 (plus LCO and RSO). I would encourage people to prep their rockets at home to keep everything moving.

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
June 1 we begin Phase 2, meaning we can have groups of up to 50. That’s assuming we don’t see a spike due to the relaxed restrictions of Phase 1, which we’ve been in since May 4.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
June 1 we begin Phase 2, meaning we can have groups of up to 50. That’s assuming we don’t see a spike due to the relaxed restrictions of Phase 1, which we’ve been in since May 4.
We routine break 20. Several times a year 50.

I hope the data I am seeing for the prairie and west is incorrect.

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We routine break 20. Several times a year 50.

I hope the data I am seeing for the prairie and west is incorrect.
We’ve never had more than 20 flyers, usually only 5 or 6. We have had a rise lately. We went from zero new cases to 1 for the state. I suspect that we’ll have it bounce around like that for months. Last week we had one day where we had a spike of four, all in a county with a large low income population surrounding a Native American reservation. That’s been a real fear.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
We’ve never had more than 20 flyers, usually only 5 or 6. We have had a rise lately. We went from zero new cases to 1 for the state. I suspect that we’ll have it bounce around like that for months. Last week we had one day where we had a spike of four, all in a county with a large low income population surrounding a Native American reservation. That’s been a real fear.
I am sure it will be fine. Some folks might get a reminder in some states to social distance. GA is getting it now without a spike.

BBowmaster

Reaction score
I’m curious about a couple things regarding the rules. First, which ones are big changes from the way launches are normally run? Second, which ones are good candidates for permanent changes? Example for the second: only the flier handling the rocket at inspection time.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I’m curious about a couple things regarding the rules. First, which ones are big changes from the way launches are normally run? Second, which ones are good candidates for permanent changes? Example for the second: only the flier handling the rocket at inspection time.
I will be honest. I rarely touch the rocket. Some do and some don't. I think the changes will depend on the club.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Gloves give a real false sense of security, and unless you are trained your are highly likely to infect yourself just in taking them off. They also provide no protection against touching your eyes or nose. Hand sanitizer is definitely the way to go in the field, soap and water in the restroom (and make sure to use a paper towel to turn off the tap and open the door, then throw the towel away without touching the surface that contacted the faucet or door.

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am sure it will be fine. Some folks might get a reminder in some states to social distance. GA is getting it now without a spike.
And just like that a cluster of six (possibly more) cases was announced in another tourist destination county in Montana. Travel was involved. This is a group of young people who apparently disregarded the state out of state travel advisory.

Last edited:

fulldec

Reaction score
Our club is also developing rules for this situation also. Since I don't know your launch set up, I have a few questions.
  • Do you load up a rack of rockets or individual pads? Most racks have rods pretty close together and this presents a crowding issue. Do you limit the number of people loading each rocket out at the pad (like not a whole family), or have one rocket loaded at a time to fill a rack?
  • Surfaces at the launch pad, rod/rail, and the clips are touched by a different modeler for every rocket launched. This presents a possible transmission risk. Should "frequent cleaning" be "after every use"? That will put a load on your volunteers. We are considering having a volunteer connect the clip to either the ignitor or to a modeler-provided clip whip (if the modeler opts to provide one). This will also increase the workload of our volunteers at a launch.
Don't forget that set up and breakdown (and loading into a storage facility, if you use one) can also present a crowding situation for your volunteers. We need to make sure they stay safe and protected from contracting or transmitting the virus.

Good work on the instructions so far.

Don

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Our club is also developing rules for this situation also. Since I don't know your launch set up, I have a few questions.
  • Do you load up a rack of rockets or individual pads? Most racks have rods pretty close together and this presents a crowding issue. Do you limit the number of people loading each rocket out at the pad (like not a whole family), or have one rocket loaded at a time to fill a rack?
  • Surfaces at the launch pad, rod/rail, and the clips are touched by a different modeler for every rocket launched. This presents a possible transmission risk. Should "frequent cleaning" be "after every use"? That will put a load on your volunteers. We are considering having a volunteer connect the clip to either the ignitor or to a modeler-provided clip whip (if the modeler opts to provide one). This will also increase the workload of our volunteers at a launch.
Don't forget that set up and breakdown (and loading into a storage facility, if you use one) can also present a crowding situation for your volunteers. We need to make sure they stay safe and protected from contracting or transmitting the virus.

Good work on the instructions so far.

Don
  • You could send out fliers one at a time based on the rack or per rack. The family unit is a good idea also.
  • I am not sure you need to terminally clean the equipment. The heat of GA probably deactivated the virus,

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Would just a shot of Lysol spray on the launch clips be an effective way to kill any remaining virus?