Retired!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LW Bercini

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Right before Christmas, my company decided that I was making too much money and eliminated my position. I was among a handful of people let go, all of us having worked there for an excess of 20 years.

Thanks to a windfall from some inheritance money, I am able to take early retirement.

If you need me, I'll be in my workshop....

:headbang:

I can't wait to see what you end up building with your newfound free time. Please remember to scan those flat parts and decals for me, would ya?

Congrats!

Sorry to hear you were let go, but glad to hear you were able to afford retirement on an inheritance. Congratulations! :clap: I hope you can find the time for your creations. I have friends who are retired and they never seem to have enough time to do anything! And I can kind of relate... I work seven days on, seven days off, and I get more rocket building done when I'm at work than I do when I'm off! :lol:

Enjoy your retirement. When I retired I found out that I was busier, had less time, less money, less stress, but I enjoyed life so much more.

Right before Christmas, my company decided that I was making too much money and eliminated my position. I was among a handful of people let go, all of us having worked there for an excess of 20 years.

Thanks to a windfall from some inheritance money, I am able to take early retirement.

My company did something similar...you're not in Tucson biotech, are you? I'm on my phone in an airport on the app, so I can't see the normal cues.

Hopefully you will look back with fondness on the company's decision to set you free! :)

I've been retired for 3 years. My wife for 2 years. The first year was devoted to a lot more model rocketry than the last two, but filled with a bit of guilt. She is a ruthless 24/7 project manager, so some home projects do get prioritized above hobby time.

But she never complains when I buy toys, and I don't say anything about her purchases.

We have two grandkids, and another on the way. We see the kids and grandkids almost weekly, and spoil them rotten.

Every day is like Saturday. Sometimes to change things up we pretend midweek that it's Friday, so we can go out for dinner and drinks without crowds at the restaurants. But we still toast each other and proclaim "Thank god it's the weekend!" :)

I hope you can find the time for your creations. I have friends who are retired and they never seem to have enough time to do anything!

I totally get that. As soon a folks knew I was available, I had all kinds of people making suggestions for how to use up my time - usually to a charity of their choice. None of which interested me in the least.

I spent 40+ years having to say "yes" to doing things I did not want to do. Now I am ready, willing and able to say "no"

Retirement is great; I retired two years ago. My wife retired a month ago. We just had a house built and did some of the work ourselves. I am building a murphy bed for the guest room and we are finishing the basement.

There are many volunteer opportunities if that type of thing interests you. I deliver blood for the local Red Cross affiliate. I go to their facility several times a month, pick up boxes and deliver them to local hospitals. It is supposed tp be a four shift, but the amount of time can vary depending on how many hospitals I agree to deliver to on a particular day. Everyone I deal with is nice as they know I am a volunteer. Well, the courier service guy is a bit of a jerk as I am sure he sees us volunteers as taking work away from him. Anyway, mostly driving with some interaction with people. If you look around you should be able to find something that works for you.

Things happen for a reason. It was your time.
You have worked all your life and it's time to enjoy the things you want to do.
I bet that old Honey-Do lists starts popping up more often.
An those little things that you've put off until you have time, will find a way to take some of it now.
What ever your ventures are in your workshop, don't forget...WE LOVE PIC!

There are many volunteer opportunities if that type of thing interests you. <snip>. Anyway, mostly driving with some interaction with people. If you look around you should be able to find something that works for you.

I start volunteering at one of the community theaters next week. I'm stepping away from the computer to spend time with artistic people.

Six months before Christmas, my company decided that I was making too much money and eliminated my position. I was among a handful of people let go, all of us having worked there for an excess of 20 years.

Thanks to a windfall from Social Security, I am able to take retirement earlier than I'd intended.

Welcome to the club. Since I quit working I've decided that being a productive member of society is highly overrated.

Sorry for the way it happened, but excited for you to have all that time to do things you love!

Welcome to the club. Since I quit working I've decided that being a productive member of society is highly overrated.

I remembered when I retired my financial adviser gave me a book to read called, "The Joy of Not Working", which tends to echo the above sentiment. Don't read it if you have plans to go back to work.

I'm also sorry for the way it happened but it sure sounds like you've got things under control,, lol..
Enjoy each and every day,,
You've earned them...

Teddy

I remembered when I retired my financial adviser gave me a book to read called, "The Joy of Not Working", which tends to echo the above sentiment. Don't read it if you have plans to go back to work.

[FONT=&quot]I have no intention of going back to work. But who knows what the future holds[/FONT]

I start volunteering at one of the community theaters next week. I'm stepping away from the computer to spend time with artistic people.

Let us know how the community theater gig works out. Will you be on stage or off stage?

I get some really weird looks sometimes when I volunteer and make my deliveries. Maybe it is my deodorant. 0520161147-00.jpg

You do realize that one of the things a stage manager has to do is tell the artistic director "No, we can't do that", I hope. My youngest daughter is at the beginning of what she hopes will be a stage management career and oh, the stories she tells of some the crazy things that artistic directors want to do in the Seattle theaters she's been working at.

I am also recently retired by a slightly less traumatic process from you - a voluntary layoff followed by retirement November 1st of last year. I'm still trying to figure out what the new normal is......

This is a very timely thread. I'm retired, as of yesterday afternoon. :) This is something my wife and I have been planning for years, and the day finally arrived. I don't really think this will set in till Monday morning, when I don't get up to a 4 am alarm.

Phil L.

Back