Retainer grip

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr G

Reaction score
There is a 1/8" gap between the top of the motor mount tube and the top of the 38mm AeroPack retainer gripping surface. That means there will be no JB Weld bond for that section leaving about 3/8" to hold the retainer on the the motor tube.

Is that enough for the shock loads at ejection? Any other issues to be aware of?

You should be OK, but to be safe you can always add a fillet around the bottom outside of the retainer where it meets the aft CR.

If I understand your situation, I ran into that when a motor mount tube was not long enough and did not extend beyond the aft centering ring far enough. I ended up making the Inner Diameter of the aft centering ring larger than the motor mount tube so it would fit around the retainer as well. Then I could push the retainer all the way on.

That's a good idea, blackwing! Don't know how long it will take to enlarge the fiberglass centering ring with a Dremel tool though...

That's a good idea, blackwing! Don't know how long it will take to enlarge the fiberglass centering ring with a Dremel tool though...
I wouldn't think it would take very long. I did this with a plywood centering ring and a Dremel tool with a coarse sanding drum.

I wouldn't think it would take very long. I did this with a plywood centering ring and a Dremel tool with a coarse sanding drum.

My guess is that it is already built. Otherwise CR would just be placed at right spot on MMT and he'd be done.

It works out a lot better just to install retainer first and than bring CR down MMT to retainer. I have done it for years with no problems.

Back